- advertisement -

what are your easily packed, shelve ready, non refrigerator, go to snack/meal replacements?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, May 17, 2014.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am talking packed and labeled foods.

I need some new ideas! I need those things I can just leave in the snack grab bag when we are in a rush and might be hungry before of after an activity.

Right now it is things like fiber bars, protein bars, and pirate booty.

I will be trying to be better at also having a refrigerator snack bag with prewashed/cut up veggies/fruit and dips/peanut butter, cause they will eat them when they are there an ready.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't know if you have a trader joes near you but they have all sorts of pre packaged snacks that are at least semi-healthy. I would often have the packs of veggies and dips which were 5g of carbs as an after school snack or if I got hungry after dinner but didn't want something sweet.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I certainly understand the desire for pre-packaged snacks. We do often have rice krispy treats or coconut bars. But I also make both of these and when I have the time prefer them because the ingredient list lacks the weird unpronounceables.

Just about any snack that comes in a large bag (like bugles, raisins, chocolate chips) can be weighed out and packaged in smaller bags. My daughter calls the combination of raisins and chocolate chips "granola" and it is a favorite of hers. Homemade popcorn is a favorite around here too and the kids don't mind eating it cold. (nuts can be bought in premeasured amounts as can the raisins) Lots of chips come in single serve bags but in our house we just don't buy these. Single serve apple slices are a favorite and they have about 300% of the rda for vitamin C! Oh, almost forgot about dried apple rings - delicious.

Fruits and vegetables are great options and an apple or banana comes with it's own packaging:) Applesauce singles are easy (13 carbs each). Jerky travels well even though my kids don't like it, and salami is relatively non perishable. If you have leftover pancakes you can dehydrate them - use silver dollar pancakes and you have "crackers". You can make low carb crackers from almonds too.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/top-10-ways-to-go-nuts/#axzz327UXdH9g

Walkers brand shortbread cookies have as their ingredients only: flour, sugar, butter and salt - can't beat that for simplicity. And our homemade chocolate chip or turmeric cookies are a staple.

If you want things with no carbs you can get pork rinds but personally I think they are gross as much as we want to like them. You can grate real parmesan cheese and bake it to create a flat wafer that tastes real good.

We always have cheese, bacon, and hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I am working on a recipe for deviled eggs using butter to replace the mayo so it will be less perishable and to get away from the mayo, but so far the flavor is a bit bland - probably needs some vinegar and/or onion powder. The secret is to drizzle the melted butter and OO in while the yolks are spinning in a food processor. Again, this is still a work in progress.

Anyway you can take all sorts of things and weigh them out yourself to have foods that are ready to go.

Good luck and let us know what you land on.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do the Trader Joe's nut mixes. They have some that come pre-packaged and are 14g. We also love Popcorners, get them by the case at Costco, 23g per bag. My kids used to like the veggie chips, but they aren't into those right now...
    Otherwise, I try and pre-package stuff myself at the beginning of the week and label the bag.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

After DD was diagnosed with celiac, we hit a major problem with road trip food, as we frequently do little weekend trips through remote areas with one-stop-light towns.

We discovered this product, http://www.gopicnic.com/ , which has several options that are GF and allergy friendly.

We get them at Target, generally 2 for $7. The boxes are comparable to a lunchable, but maybe just a smidge healthier and also non-perishable. Basically this company does the work for us of assembling lots of little individual snack pouches that together make a meal.

These boxes would be pricey as an everyday thing, but they have been an absolute lifesaver on the road and on camping trips, and also on odd occasions like the mad Saturday dash to a birthday party where we don't expect there to be food DD can eat. Maybe throw a couple in your kids' athletics bags as a go-to when you need to offer a quick meal before or after practice?

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter likes the individual size peanut butter cups. I pack a spoon and she just eats the peanut butter. We used to put peanut butter in small Tupperware containers but it often ended up a mess. I also prepackage cherrios in one cup serving bags. Fruity snacks, apples are good, small cracker packages.

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I usually always have 4g packs of almonds around. They have different flavors are are sold in packs of...8? I think. Also a store by me has these awesome mini mandarins that I have learned to count as 4g. They are so delicious and have no pits. The specific ones we like though are hard to find in other stores. I have checked them all

We also do pirates booty. I like that they have different size packs.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think maybe I just need to go to a new store, try out our Trader Joes and Whole foods!

I feel like I am portioning out snacks left and right, right now, I am working and dropping them for before school and then tutoring, so between the two of them we are talking in the AM getiign 6 snacks and 2 lunches together and that is not even for after school activities!

they are bored and I am tired, don't blame them!

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You know, I have to try to make something's. I am not a cook or a baker or someone that even try's to be. But my MIL does!!!!

I need to recruit my natural resources and use them!

10. steph

steph Approved members

Just Strawberries or Just peas or any freeze dried fruit or veggie. Kim's Magic Pop- a wheat/rice snack cake. Beef jerky.