- advertisement -

what are your basal rates these days with girls entering/in puberty?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Nov 26, 2009.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I am doing some major headbanging these days, and it's not because I like the music!

Jayden is seemingly entering the lovely world of puberty, and I have her bg's to show for it. I am having a terrible time keeping her bg below 200 - ever. Her 30 day average on the pump is 196 :mad:. I am working so hard at this and seemingly not getting anywhere. I have been up every two hours to CGMS alarms for the last week, giving huge corrections and setting 150% to 200% temp basals, and still no real success in keeping her bg in a normal range.

So, I'm going back to the basics, er, the basals! Her basal rates were anywhere from 0.45 to 0.60 per hour. In the last week I have changed them all to 0.6 to 0.8 per hour with no measurable effect. It used to be that I knew that a unit of insulin would drop her bg about 100 points. Now, sometimes a unit of insulin doesn't do anything at all. Sometimes two units doesn't do anything.

Would you mind sharing with me what your basal rates are? I know YDMV, but I'd like to get some idea of where I'm going :cwds:.

Thanks...

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I think they are around 1.0 to 1.8

I'll look later,
    she averages 60 units day

3. dqmomof3

Oh my...sixty units! Jayden's TDD is only about forty units right now, but obviously that's not enough given her numbers. Guess I'm in for a big uppage!!

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

We're at 0.5 to 0.6 per hour. TDD - average 13.

One week out of the month 11yo DD runs high and we increase the basal by 10%. (Still no menses yet).

We've had to attack the I:C as well. Give basal change a bit of time to see if it helps.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

this week we essentially double basals, today total hourly is .66 for lantus and her pump basal is about 1.4/hour

6. jozic

jozic Approved members

We had same problem. In the beginning I would raise her basal little by little. It took days before her sugars are back to normal. Now I keep two basal setups on the pump. One basal has total around 10 units per day and the other one 20. Then on the days when I see that her sugars are high and they are not coming back I would just switch to the higher basal rate. I know that looks scary, but thanks to CGMS I can do this.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

This started for us a few months ago. Before September basal rates usually were between 0.4 and 1. Now they range from 0.4 to over 3.

We're seeing often after bedtime that BG starts to rise and we have to basal up to 3u/hour plus give hourly corrections of 1 to 1.5u, so really on those nights the basal rate is closer to 5u/hour until around 3 AM. She is nearly using up the pod's 200u capacity in 3 days, so it's avreraging around 60+ units a day on some days. Just last year I was only filling the pods with 100u!

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

When we were going through the peak of it, DD was at 70 units a day of which about 60% was basal (so 40 or so units a day). Break that down to hourly, and you're close to 2 units/hour.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

12 midnight 1.10; 1am 1.05; 1:30 am 1.0 (this number can be pushed forward until 2:30am as she sometimes needs more until 2:30am); 5am 1.05; 8am 1.10(schooldays, weekends 1.05 all morning); 12 noon 1.05; 3pm 1.25; 4pm 1.35; 5pm 1.6; 6pm 2.1; 7pm 2.2; 10pm 1.9. Right now her TDD is about 50 units a day, more or less. She gets 55 to 60 percent of her TDD basal, rest bolus (at least the last time I checked balance). The hours of 6pm to 1 am, sometimes up until 3am are the constantly changing hours. Can use anywhere from 1.65 to 2.7 and, on rare occasions, temp basal up to 3.3. Her daily basals can be tweaked (slight basal changes up or down .50) but I don't consider these major changes. She is 12, going on 13, so not entering puberty. Seems to me like she is settling down a little.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm coming out the other side, but my basals peaked at around 1u/h average. They're at 0.75u/h right now (flat through the day).

11. mariaweber

mariaweber Approved members

Be prepared for a huge jump in insulin usage. Sofie went from average .4/hour basals to average 2.5/basals for a while. We also found weird monthly swings where once a month she would practically need no insulin at all. This has since translated into the first couple of days of her period.

We look forward to when it all levels off. We're told anytime around 16 to 18 years old depending on the child.

Fun times ;)

12. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

My dd (age 13) was taking about 40 units per day until about a month ago. She is not at around 60 units per day! :confused: You can imagine what a roller-coaster ride her blood sugars have been in the past month!

She is doing okay now, but yikes, what a lot of insulin! (She's taking more than my dh, who weighs 60 pounds more than her!) She exercises regularly, is in great physical shape, and eats 150-200 carbs per day, so we don't know what happened!

13. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Her highest is 1.2u/hr. Most of the time it's 1.1u/hr. And don't forget that the correction factor will go down when the insulin needs increase. We're at 40 for the day, 50 overnight. IC ratios are 1:7 for breakfast, 1:9 rest of the day.

14. dqmomof3

Thank you for your replies :). I can see that getting a two bottle a month prescription instead of just the one was a wise move on my part!

Jayden's basals were around 0.5 all day long. Last month, I upped them a bit to 0.45 to 0.60. Then earlier this week, I shifted them up again to around 0.7 or 0.75.

Last night, I got an interesting piece of info by accident. I had turned off the high alarms on the Guardian AND her pump, so nothing woke me up all night. I was very on top of the boluses yesterday during the Thanksgiving grazing, and she stayed in range, or close, most of the day. The last thing she had to eat was a lowfat cottage cheese/whipped cream/Jello salad around 6:30pm. She went to bed at 120.

She stayed between 120 and 140 until almost exactly 3am, and all of a sudden, within 30 minutes on the CGM graph was 250+, where she stayed until this morning at 7 when I woke up and corrected. I think I have at least discovered, for this week, where she needs more insulin!

15. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

Alison's basals are at 1.2/hour most of the time. Her lowest is .8 between 10 p.m. and midnight. She went through her first monthly cycle a month ago now without needing a change in basals. I would love it if that would be the case every time, but I'm not expecting that.

16. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Rachel's daytime basal rate is 0.8u/hr, changing to 1.35 at 7:30p.m. then to 1.2 at 2:00a.m. until 8:00a.m. TDD around 55 units. Monthly swings can vary from no additional basal needed to +50 or 100%. She is 13 and weighs 140lbs.

17. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

Oh gosh, I think I need to print this one out and save it! My DD currently has basals around 0.4 per hour (give or take). It looks like we're in for some MAJOR changes in the next couple of years! Yikes!