- advertisement -

What are you more afraid of, fat or sugar?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twodoor2, Oct 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Fat is pure evil. Pizza spikes can happen anywhere between 3 and 14 hours after eating, and are seriously impossible to predict.

Last week it was my mom's birthday so we went out for pizza for lunch. I think that was the first time I'd had pizza at lunchtime rather than dinner, I bolused the full amount upfront and I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that my BGs were almost totally flat on a 200% temp basal from midday (when I ate the pizza) to 10PM (when I went to bed). At about 2AM I woke up sky high with the CGMS alarming at me. It was, undoubtedly, a pizza spike.. And that was 14 hours after eating!

When I was on vacation this summer, I had "american style" pizza for the first time (i.e. it had a really thick, doughy base rather than being very flat like the Italian typed pizzas we get over here). My gosh. Whole different ball game.. I didn't think the fat spikes could get worse, but they did. I needed a ridiculous amount of insulin to deal with it.

As long as I measure sugar correctly and bolus for it, life is good.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

And who said D is all about the sugar, right?:p Oh, the irony...

3. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Pizza and Chinese white rice and Lo Mein are the worst for us. I DREAD a pizza night with a passion. Funniest thing Brittney always says, guess I will be high tonight.. :eek:

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Wow it sounds like Chinese food is really bad news for everyone. My son has always hated it so we won't be trying to figure it out.

5. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Speaking of Chinese food, and Asian food in general, Japanese food is one of the best things Elizabeth can eat. The Japanese restaurants I take her to, I don't even need to specify, "don't add fat." It is such healthy, and low fat cuisine. For example, she loves chicken teryaki and rice (it's always steamed rice), and veggies. Now tempura is a different story, but I even give her a little of that because the Japanese restaurants we go to typically use monounsaturated oil to fry. She reacts much more adversely to trans and saturated fats.

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I've perfected pizza at home and was one of the happiest moments of my life haha.

7. StillMamamia

Someone mentioned cereal. Wouldn't you know, Ian hates cereal!:eek::p

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

ditto Japanese and Vietnamese as well. So much lighter and healthier.

9. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

yummmmmm...anyone else getting hungry reading this thread? :p Not too long ago, my family went out for dim sum. Much of that is steamed. Even though I was making WAGs for the entire meal, 2 hrs pp, ds was at a great number. :cool:

10. twodoor2

I have to try Vietnamese food. Thanks for mentioning it Becky!!

11. twodoor2

Paula,
    Does Ian like anything??? :p

12. MamaBear

Um..YES!! I'm feeling like Homer Simpson over here... mmmmm Chinese food....rrrrrgghhhhmmm

13. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm with you guys... I'd take sugar over fat any day!
    The fat spikes are the WORST!

14. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

I've said many, many times that those of you who have little bitty kids with this disease will have a special place in heaven. And the extra soft couches will be for those who have done it as single parents.

My point was that there is a difference between feeling stressed and overwhelmed and being afraid. The word in the title of the thread is "afraid". Now, I realize that sometimes people use the same word for different things which was the purpose of my original post. I guess what I wanted to figure out was how many people who answered the original question intrepreted "afraid" as "scared of" and how many people thought it meant "frustrated by the way it makes my kid's BS react."

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm not afraid of fat or sugar, Mederation has always been the key. I use both in cooking.
    I never use aspartame or splenda or any garbage additives

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

As I recall, your original post didn't in fact, ask a single question. So how you could gain any insight about how others were using the word, "afraid"... I can't imagine. That said, I'm willing to wager that not one of the parents who has replied to Marsha's thread are, "afraid" as in "scared of". One would have to be a Neanderthal to be so literal.:rolleyes:

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

This boils down to an essential way the most men and women communicate. Every woman that read this knew that they were not genuinely 'afraid' of fat or sugar. They don't shake in the shoes, pee their pants, and run screaming at the sight of a slice of pizza. They do not have nightmares of donuts with axes chopping at tubing, while little sprinkles dance around trying to dive into their kids mouths.

Men, well, they must have these reactions based on how you interpret and analyze one word :D Sorry!

Much like the word Sorry...women say Sorry when they know that feelings are hurt, or someone had a bad day, or something got overreacted to...

While men say Sorry when they have been jerks.

18. StillMamamia

Yes, he's actually very willing to try anything once. He loves sushi:eek:. For breakfast he likes his soy milk and a piece of bread with ham or cheese. But, for some reason, he doesn't like cereal.

He loves vegies. Seriously. Give him cauliflower and brussel sprouts and he'^ll eat them. He doesn't like leeks or raw onions. And lately tomatoes and tomato sauce are not his favorite.

19. MamaBear

LOL :D I'm going to replace visions of sugar plum fairies with this!

20. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

actually, yes I do. I have had this dream! Get out of my head!! You know how Ian likes his donuts.