- advertisement -

What are you doing in case the Swine Flu comes to your area?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm not nervous about this, but I want to be prepared. We have not experienced the flu since dxd (over 2 years) knock on wood please.
    I went and looked at our sick kit we keep in the laundry room. It's stocked properly for lows, highs, ketone strips, fever meds, and so forth.

What are you doing that I might be missing?

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I'm just emailing Alex (at college) to remind him of what to do if he gets sick. I included info on the urgent care place in town and a taxi company.

For us, I'm not doing much except keeping an eye on the news.

3. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I am praying it does not come here....am I being too hopeful?

I guess the best defense with illness, is: vitamins, rest, washing hands often

4. nymomof3

nymomof3 Approved members

My nephew goes to St. Frances Prep high school in Queens, NY where all those cases (originally 12, but now more like 28 as siblings are catching it) have been reported. A group of the Seniors went to Mexico over the spring break and brought it back with them:(.

He hasn't shown any signs of it, thank God. His school is closed for at least this whole week, if not more. They say the incubation is only about 3 days before you have symptoms. He hasn't been in school since last Friday, so we are hoping it passes him by.

As for us, we live about 20 miles from him, on Long Island. We are staying far away from each other for a while.

I think I might email my endo's office (also in Queens) and see if they can email me a list of what to have on hand. I probably already have everything, but maybe there is something I am not thinking of.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Not really because of the flu, I've been doing it for several years...But, I'm going to be even more diligent about it.

I keep hand sanitizer int he car and give the boys some when we leave stores...BTW, it's getting closer, there's a probable case in Tulare county. That's an hour from us... :(

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  6. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I nomally make sure I have back up supplies and back up food and drink in case of illness or emergency. The illness reminded me to pick up a few juices that I had let run low. So I have what I need if we cannot get out of the house for a while but no more than normal. Otherwise, I am simply staying a bit aware - watching the news and not staying next to someone obviously sick

I will add though that if any of us start showing symptoms that include a fever, I will be more likely to include a doctor's visit.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009