- advertisement -

What are you black friday shopping for??

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I've never really understood the appeal of Black Friday. I mean, I understand there are great deals etc....but I cannot think of anything that I would line up in the middle of the night to get.

Guess because I'm a Canuck! ;):p

2. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Bought myself a pasta machine at Tuesday Morning.com today with free shipping. It was 69.99 and I've seen them for 179 and up. Great deal, good reviews, and it comes with a recipe for gluten free pasta. So, I'm done. Told the kids they get 1 gift this year, and I'm sticking to it. (that was mine)

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I refuse to call the Friday after Thanksgiving anything but the Friday after Thanksgiving.

I'm thnking, however, of changing all that. If I do, it will because I'll start observing Buy Nothing Day.

4. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Don't laugh but flannel sheets. A friend and I went out at 3 am or so last year. We had to get 4 of the 200 dollar 32 in. tv's in Walmart. I wanted nothing. I actually got 2 of the coupons for the tv's by asking people to get one for us. My two sisters who were at Target then came over. My friend and I then went out to the Mall. She got a good deal on jeans for her son. I just enjoyed hanging out with my friend. This year nothing is making me crazy really. I ordered flannel sheets on kohls online. Got an extra 15% off but gonna look in JCpenney.
    Wendy

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Did the Kohl's online gig last night. Last time I stood on a BF line it was for a Wii which ended up being used for less than two years. Never again.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

A woman in LA used pepper spray on a bunch of people when they started to encroach on the bargains she wanted to get at a Walmart. 20 people injured, she got away...with nothing. I hope they catch her.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'd probably go out if there was some awesome deal on something I was looking for. I've so far never found that awesome deal to drag me out of bed. There were a lot of good sales this year in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving so I got some of my shopping done but still most of it to go.

8. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We went to target last night. Husband stood in line at 7pm. I joined him around 11pm. We got the iPod touch which included a $40 dollar gift card. Used the extra $40 to get a bag of lego's for the baby for $10 dollars (she loves legos..the big ones), and the remaining $30 for a nerf gun that my son has been eyeballing! It was perfect. Fun times too! The prices were so good on some toys that I grabed a few to put in the toys for tot's box at the elementary school. Black friday has always been a tradition for us!

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

10. Deal

Deal Approved members

I won't even drive by a mall on the way to a hockey rink.
    Santa shows up in a UPS truck regularly here.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Went into B&N for a coffee and came out with a playmobil set for my nephew at 50% off.

12. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Walmart in our state didn't open until 4am...I got a great nights sleeps (for a D-parent:p) got up at 3, drove to the nearest Walmart...stood in line for 30 minutes...Walmart employees were walking the line giving cookies, hot cider and hot chocolate out to those waiting...doors opened, got a laptop for 199. a convertible 12volt car for 99, also had them price match a fur-real go-go pet, for 29.99, grabbed a barbie for $5, cart full, checked out, was back home in bed by 5am....got a another 2 hours sleep, woke up, put up the Christmas decorations, put a turkey in the oven (no leftovers from yesterday, had an extra turkey given to us on Tues).

Completely worth going out on Black Friday:D

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

You did great, Jen! I got a Wii for $99 at Sam's Club, which opened at 5am and I did not have to stand outside to get it!! Well worth the trip for me.

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

It is our tradition now - my kids love it - I love the savings. We saved so much today. I like it because I can give my kids some $ and let them loose and they get to enjoy buying gifts for their sister, mom, and grandmother, and not even think about buying something for themselves. Coco bought my mom the most horrendous hat ever. It is a 1950's style in fuschia and orange :eek:. My mom will love it.

And I got those pesky Nike socks - buy 1 get one for $2.00.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I got just what I wanted, blu-ray for my parents, games for the kids, I had walmart price match them because they weren't on sale at wally's but they were at target, I knew they would be gone by the time I got to target.. worked for me! Got some jeans for my husband, some stocking stuffers, and cat food... and a few dirty looks. I've gotta say walmart shoppers are rude. I then went to target... it was 12:15, there was still a line outside, found some friends who let me wait with them... all the target employee's were polite and cheery, and they were so freakin organized. NO rude customers, everyone was pleasant, a lot of excuse mes while people were trying to get through. Target limited how many people in the store, how fast they were letting the crowd in so it wasn't beyond crazy. The registers were all organized. The check out line went really fast. I got the slippers, hats, mittens and pj's my kids wanted and left. Most of my time was spent in crazy walmart waiting for midnight to get the blu-ray player, left the house at 9, got home at 2:30a.. my husband was surprised to see me home so early, he said he was hoping I'd be late so he had an excuse not to go to work, lol.

I need a shopping buddy next year though, make it a longer night and fit a breakfast at denny's in there. :)

16. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OK I did it.

I was gone from 9pm till 4am, I really could have been done at 2 but decided to head to walmart, and at that time they where moving all the deals around and since it was very late I had to search for sizes on the pj's.

I got EVERYTHING I went for. I actually even came home and sleep and went back out in the afternoon since this year (only my second time) was so much less drama.

I got two wifi 7in tablets for my kids, after rebates they will be well below $100. They are wifi only so they will only be able to be online while at home or with dad and I. They are only 7 and 3 years old but since they have left their "kids" games since they like the educational apps that mom and dad have loaded onto their phone/tablets( and angry birds), I figure it is worth it. Just discovered about book downloading from the library!

I got a marble racer, and a hex bug enclosoure from toys r us, and lalaloopsy from Target. AS you can tell my girls are very well rounded!

I will look for myself on Cyber monday!

Anyone have a touchscreen laptop/netbook?

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I was so sad to see people out with their "little ones", like below 6. At least here where is is below 40 at 9pm.

BUT I wil totally let my preteen/teen venture out with me and save a place in line! or they can go out and choose what they want and I will wait.

That is the worst, the line after you got what you came for.

19. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My 14 yo wanted to go out so we did. Mall at 6am and it was not crowded, went to American Eagle for 40% off everything and then left, went to dicks, michaels, kohls, old navy. Didn't wait in a line more then 2 mins. Hanna was disappointed, she was looking for black Friday craziness. ;)

20. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

we went to walmart, that was madness, didn't get what I wanted there. $28 FIFA soccer game for Noah. Then went to Shopko got what I needed for my aunt. After that went to Target.. there was still a line outside 30 mins after they opened. Got in and the line was huge, my sister was looking for a PS3 and we figured they were gone. We went to the bathroom and then she decided she wanted to see if there were any left. There was a whole pallet sitting there still! we ended up waiting in line for over an hour but the people were so nice and the employees were helpful, didn't find that anywhere else. Spent almost $400 there and am pretty much done now.