- advertisement -

What are our kids rights on the bus?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lorraine, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

We had our school meeting and all is well except for the bus. I am told the bus company will call 911 if there is an emergency, be aware that he has diabetes, but nothing else.

From looking at the laws and how to develop a 504 there are references to making appropriate accommodations and such, but I haven't been able to find anything specific about the bus. I'm wondering if anyone has any specific experience with this, any success in getting reasonable safe accommodations.

At a minimum, I am looking for the bus driver to know to feed him something if there is a question - not even looking for anyone to check a blood sugar or even tell him to check his sugar. I would also like the bus driver to call me. I am told they will not do that.

He will be checked before he gets on the bus and the ride is approximately 20 minutes - could be less - school hasn't started yet, so I am just going by the schedule.

We live in CT. The bus company contracted. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When Abby takes the bus, she is given her snack a bit later and is checked before getting on. The bus ride home is 45 min, so if she is lower than 100, the nurses call.

Our bus drive:
    Is aware A has diabetes
    Has an emergency pack consisting of juice, glucose, crackers up front with her
    Knows if Abby is acting outside the norm, to call me or nurse
    Knows to call 911 immediately if something worse happens

Abby is allowed any snack on the bus as long as she cleans up after herself!

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Our nurse talks with the bus driver so they are aware of the situation. It's in our plan that he can eat on the bus anytime without question. He also carries his meter, snacks, glucose tabs, and gel on the bus. The nurse checks him before the bus and if there is any question, he will have a snack before he gets on the bus. My son does ride the bus with his older sister but next year he will be on his own. I plan to get him a cell phone at that time to be able to call me.

The bus driver will call 911 - that is the policy where we are as well. I just make sure his bg is at a number that is acceptable prior to getting on the bus and that he has all the necessary supplies in case his bus was delayed.

4. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

When Jessi rode the bus, our bus driver new what to look for, Jess sat near the front so the driver could keep an eye on her. She also had a box with juice, glucose tabs, etc under the drivers seat.

Jess was allowed to eat on the bus if she felt low, and we just checked later.. I would rather correct a high then to have her low.

They never checked BG on the bus or anything like that.

Her bus ride was only about 5 mins though.

Now she rides a bus to the dance studio after school. The driver is also one of the owners of the studio, so he is trained. There is an aide on the bus and she keeps an eye on Jess and knows what to look for, etc. She has snacks in her backpck for lows. That bus ride is about 20 mins. If Jess is under 120 (since she has IOB) then she doesnt get on the bus and the school calls me.

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I would work it into her 504 Plan that she be able to check her blood sugars and have some form of quick acting carbs with her while she is on the bus. Technically she is still "at school" even while she is on the bus. Here is the state law in Connecticut regarding BG Self Testing The thought of her having a small snack before she gets on the bus would be a good idea as well.

Chapter 170 Sec. 10-220j. Blood glucose self-testing by children. Guidelines. (a) No local or regional board of education may prohibit blood glucose self-testing by children with diabetes who have a written order from a physician or an advanced practice registered nurse stating the need and the capability of such child to conduct self-testing.

(b) The Commissioner of Education, in consultation with the Commissioner of Public Health, shall develop guidelines for policies and practices with respect to blood glucose self-testing by children pursuant to subsection (a) of this section. Such guidelines shall not be construed as regulations within the scope of chapter 54.

6. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

So far we have not ridden the bus this year (but we are only on day 2) and I guess we lucked out bc our busdriver is also D and carries glucose tabs on him. He was fine with it and asked for an emergency plan to be on the bus. He is willing to do whatever the nurse/school dictates. She is to test before the end of the day if she rides the bus - although our ride is only about 10 min from school to home - so I have told her to eat a snack if she feels funny and we will take further care of it when she gets off the bus. She also carries glucose tabs and granola bars in her backpack at ALL times.

Vicki

7. suphillips

suphillips Approved members

I've found the National Diabetes Education Program's book "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed at School" to be really helpful. Midway through, there are "Action Item" pages with checklists for everyone involved in the school experience, including the bus driver. You can download the pdf, and just print out the action pages if you want, here: http://ndep.nih.gov/diabetes/pubs/youth_schoolguide.pdf

8. Lorraine

This is a good reminder. I used the sheets for teacher and gym teacher and skipped over bus driver and I really didn't think it would be an issue. I'm just concerned this is more a suggestion than a mandate and they will still tell me "no".

9. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob rides the bus TO school but not home. The odds of him going low on the way to school are pretty remote but the odds of it happening on the way home are too great to risk, and I don't care how on the ball the bus driver is, I don't want to take that chance. So one of us picks him up after school.

10. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Sam is checked before he gets on the bus. If he feels low on the bus he is allowed to eat a snack that is in his backpack. I just tell him if he feels low, eat a snack. He does not want to test on the bus. The driver is aware that Sam is allowed food on the bus. He has been riding the bus since kdg and it has never been a problem.

11. Lorraine

This is the way I'm leaning myself at this point...

12. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

This is what is in Connor's 504 Plan for the bus:

1.4 Any bus driver who transports the student must be informed of symptoms of high or low blood glucose levels and provided with a copy the student’s Quick Reference Emergency Plan and be prepared to act in accordance with that Plan. Connor will be allowed to drink water, eat glucose tabs, and eat a snack on the bus (provided in backpack).

The bus driver is trained by the nurse at school. She talks about signs of low/highs and lets the driver know that Connor is allowed to eat/drink at any time. Connor is tested before he gets on the bus at 2:50 p.m. His dismissal is at 3:35 p.m., so this gives the nurse enough time to check/treat/re-check if needed to get him up to a minimum of 100. If he's still under 100 after check/treat/re-check, I come to get him. Connor also sits in the front of the bus so the driver can see him at all times. This system has worked very well for us!

Good luck!

13. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hi Lorraine,

I am in CT also. I don't have Hanna ride the bus right now, I pulled her off when she was dxd in February. She has an hour ride home which is just too long and last year there was never a consistent driver so I just wasn't comfortable with her riding. I would like her to ride to school because its a much shorter ride but she really doesn't want to and it is easy for me to do and then get to work. I only work part time so I can also pick her up easily.

14. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I guess that the rules of the bus company would differ per county or district, so you would have to check in with that company.

But my school county owns it's own bus company. So a 504 is still active on the bus. I have my own designated seat on the bus near the front, which is good because there are, give or take a few, 80 people on the bus, no joke (three to a seat). There is also an aid on the bus because there is a student with special needs. So if anytime I need to eat or test on the bus I tell them. I'm the only one that is allowed to eat on the bus. We are hoping that once I get my 504 already that the bus driver will be trained. But the bus driver is notified.

If I'm low my mom won't allow me to ride the bus, even if it's only a ten minute ride, so I just sit in the nurses office till she comes.