- advertisement -

What am I doing wrong?? Infusion set issues...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2CNC, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

My 10yo has used the Ping for almost 4 years- using comfort short infusion sets (the angled manual ones!!) exclusively on her stomach. A few months ago her endo asked us to take a break from using her stomach because it was looking lumpy. The reason she was only using her stomach was because we could never get the same results on her tush. Stomach sites=always lasted a minimum of 4 days.

We have switched to tush and the sites are going bad after only a day or two. I changed her site yesterday and already this evening I see her numbers crawling back up too high- I know I will need to change it out again in the morning. Because she uses the comfort shorts she is so down about having to change out so often, and of course I can't blame her! We have tried the inset 6mm and 9mm (I use the inset 9mm on my stomach with no issues at all- mine last 4 or 5 days) they DO NOT work for her. We've tried them on her stomach and her tush many times over the years. They stop working in a day or so every single time.

I am using the top side of her tush and I of course alternate sides & exact location every time. She has some meat on her, slender but not skinny. She's solid & average weight for her age. What could I possibly be doing wrong? Should I go lower toward the cheek area? And why oh why won't the insets work for her? She would be the happiest child in the world if she could use the inset sites like I do. Thanks for any advice.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I am not sure why it's happening. :(. We had the same problem a few years ago, using cannula sets on the stomach. Since then, he will only use steel sets on his stomach. We usually order 2 or 3 different sets at a time, because he prefers different sets for different parts of the body. We did find that the quick set was problematic if he didn't use the serter, although you are used to manual insertion so it might not be a problem for you. Have you tried contact detach?

This suggestion is a little unorthodox, but have you thought about getting some quicksets from Medtronic? They have the luer lock in quickset (90 degree cannula). We used those for a long time and they were good for us (everywhere except stomach).

It is a cannula, not steel set, right? And is the site kinking or just becoming ineffective? It could be that the tissues in the back/tush area have more moving, stretching, etc, which would upset the cannula. The other suggestion is to change the direction of the angle of insertion, if you haven't already. Like try putting it in sideways if you always point it down. There is less sideways tissue movement than Up and down. Or have you tried going upward? Just a thought.

Will she use arm sites? Or are those reserved for cgm or something? Ds likes using arm sites a lot. He also uses leg sites, which has a bit more real estate than the arms. Although I can see how clothing may make thigh area harder for a girl.

Just a few thoughts I had, hopefully something was useful.

Good luck!

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

As an adult, I tried the "tush" and never liked it. Pants just interfere too frequently and I find that when I lay on my back there would be too much compression for things to flow nicely (sometimes sitting can cause that too, with the upper part of the pants pushing down on the set).

What I suggest, especially if you say she is not "super" thin, is try for the meatiest part of her lower back, but above where the waist of her pants would sit. When laying down, this is slightly arched and less likely to be compressed and when sitting, pants don't get in the way either. This may not work out any better than the tush area, but its another area to try.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

When we switched from straight steel sets to Inset 30's we found that we didn't get good absorption on the backside with the insets. The reason we switched, though, was to give us more site options on my thin 9 year old. We try not to use her backside now if we can help it. I guess I could use the old sites I had left over if we want to use that area.

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Just wanted to add another vote for the contact detach. It has been the only set my DD has ever used. Despite my gentle urging to try her stomach, she wears her site on her arm. Occasionally, she will try her tush. Taking the possibility of a kinked cannula out of the equation, was the biggest reason DD started pumping with a steel needle set.
    Good luck!