- advertisement -

What age should a cwd be allowed to carry a cell phone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I was thinking how useful a cell phone would be for dd to carry while at school to call me when she boluses for food, etc. however, prior to D, my intention was to wait until she was at least 13 or so to carry a cell phone. Just wondering what age did you allow your child to carry a cell phone?

2. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We got Jared his First cell phone when he started Jr high at 11. We live in a very small town and he runs around town with his friends and if he ever feels like he is low he tests then calls me if he needs me to come get him. He also keeps glucose tabs with him just in case. Now with the dexcom he no longer carries a meter. Also if I need to find him I just call and see where he is at instead of driving all around town or calling his friends houses. Like I said Our town is tiny about 150 people 4 blocks wide by 6 blocks long.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We got my daughter her cell at diagnosis (11), but she has the restriction on it that she is ONLY to use it for diabetes calls unless she wants to pay the bill.

4. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

I got my DD a cell right after she was diagnosed (11). As soon as she wanted to leave my side and walk to her friend's house, lol. I'm pretty sure it was more for my piece of mind at the time but I wanted her to be able to get in touch with me anytime she was away from me. I'm glad I did.

If she had been diagnosed younger...I would have still gotten it. If she goes out of the house she has her phone on her so we can get in touch with each other.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

We had a cheap one when he was 8 for going to the neighbor's, etc. Look up Kajeet - if you have them in Canada.

This year he has a regular smart phone - he is 10. I still think it is hard for him to be as responsible for it as an older kid but he likes it and it is one of our used ones and the plan isn't too $$.

6. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My oldest (nonD) got one when he was 8, because he was playing at friends homes (we live in a subdivision with a ton of kids) and they would house hop, so I wanted to be able to always reach him immediately. And I wanted to be able to track where he was. :p

IMO, CWD or nonD doesn't really matter, they get a phone when you think they are responsible enough to handle one.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie has one that she takes when she goes for walks or over to her friends house, he lives three blocks away. I feel better knowing that she has it on her. I've been thinking about having it added to her 504 when she starts Jr. High. She'll be about 11 at the time.

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh got her first cell phone this past christmas when she was 12 (it was about 2 months before her 13th birthday). I wanted her to have one when she was first diagnosed, but my husband said we couldn't afford a 2nd cell phone. The only reason she got one was because we switched over to my BIL & SIL's plan. Since they can get extra phones for only a couple bucks extra per month. I like that if she goes to a sleepover at a friends i can call her cell phone (prior to this she would take my cell phone. this was fine if i was home, but if i went out i'd be without a cell phone). She does not call or text me during school, school has a no cell phone policy, and since we go the phone after the 504 was written we never had it in there that she can call or text me. It's really no big deal to me, as the school is fine letting her use their phones to call me with questions concerning her diabetes.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

When she was dx at 9. She has an hour-long bus ride to and from school, and there's always the chance of them being delayed for one reason or another. She doesn't use it any other time, but she's not a phone person anyway.

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Whenever you believe your child can handle the extra responsibility.:) It really depends on the kid.

My 16 yr old (non d) had one at age 11. My 14 yr old (non d)...at age 12. Nothing fancy... but it was a way to communicate during their various after school activities.

Josh is 10 and has a phone. He just started carrying daily. We've had it for less than a year but he wasn't quite ready to be responsible for another gadget until very recently. Since he texts us his bg and dex info from school, he looks at the phone as another tool for t1d.

11. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We got our DD a cell phone when she entered middle school, 6th grade, 11 years old. It is in her 504 that she is allowed to carry and use it at school for diabetes purposes only.

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I can't imagine how I survived without a cell phone when I was a child? How do I survive now, without it turned on all the time?:eek::rolleyes::D:cwds:(I use mine(Cdn one) to order sushi once in awhile on our way home from work, American 1, I keep off unless an emergency(car trouble) comes up, or am on vacation in the States, it only costs me $4.99 a month!

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My 12 year old (nonD) daughter in middle school does not have a cell phone yet, but I will definitely want my son with D to have one when he enters middle school. I'm hoping he will be much more independent with his care by then, and I want him to be able to contact me if he has questions. For now, if he is around the neighborhood at a friend's house, he can borrow mine.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

10 and middle school for us.

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'll put in another plug for Kajeet (google them). Their phones are cheap (you can look for used ones) - and the service can be as low as around $5 a month. That doesn't include a lot of minutes - but if it is for emergencies that is enough ($5 is for service and 10 minutes of calls).

The parental controls come with that price and you can literally set it up so the child can only make and receive calls from certain people (certain numbers) - along with 911. It was a great starter phone and no contract either.

16. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana was 8 at dx and she got a cell phone then. She will be 11 next week.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Middle school, age 10. We got what I refer to as the Barney Rubble phone. Meaning it is only for phone calls, nothing else.

It's only allowed for extra curricular activities, dance class and when going to friends or out bike riding. My kids are responsible enough to keep track of it, but that's about as responsible they get right now. This one works perfect for us, it's cheap (added on as an extra line for about $5 a month).

18. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

At around 10 (5th grade). It's as much for me as it is for her.

19. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I got my phone when I was in sixth grade. Mostly because that was when I started really wanting to go places on my own and things of that nature. It also allowed me to be a little more independent with my injections (at that point I wasn't on the pump) while still keeping my mom "in the know."

20. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

She got one for her 11th birthday, pre-diagnosis, mid 5th Grade. The reason was at the time I knew once she got to Middle School she'd be walking home, we lived across the street, and I wanted to be able to keep in touch. I got it for her mid 5th grade so the novelty had worn off by the time I really need her to use it.

It was also great because when she was at her Dads I could never get a hold of her, he has a tendency to just ignore his phone. This way she could call me anytime and I could get a hold of her as well.

She's always been very responsible with using it and before we had unlimited, she kept track of her texts/minutes so she didn't go over.