- advertisement -

What age do you think it is okay to leave a child alone/babysit when they are Type 1?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Apr 27, 2011.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am sure if you ask around there is another family in the same situation as you. Maybe your DD could be a mothers helper, you know keep the little kids occupied while mom/dad are at home?

Maybe you could ask your employer is there are any odd jobs that the kids can do. Water plants, staple papers, alphabatize invoices.

Think outside the box here.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson is 10 1/2 and we have been leaving him home alone for short periods of time for a while now. He has a phone, we have lots of neighbors if there is an emergency, and I call him every 30 minutes or so. Generally he is not alone for more than 1 1/2 hours at the max.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

May I ask what you plan to do with your son when his sister isn't there, and why that won't work for the rest of the summer?

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

You'll be paying her, right? D or not, it's unfair to have a child that age babysit that much without paying her.

Other than that, it really depends on the situation, how well the two get along, etc. There are many 10 year olds very capable of being in charge, and many 16 year olds very incapable. That said, two 4-hour blocks a day every other week is a lot for a 12 year old, IMO.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree... and I cannot stress enough, that you really need to talk to the 11yo as well about how she feels about it.. and JMO but she deserves to be paid for the service. I think secondary to that, since the other is only 9, you need to feel comfortable leaving him mostly on his own as well... which is really something that just depends on the kid more than the age.

My sister and I were put into situations often where we were "in charge" of our then toddler step-sister and looking back, there's no way in a MILLION YEARS that we should have been left alone any of those times... my sister and I were only 7 and 9.

I know that went on for a little while (a couple of years, maybe?)... my step mom was working, and she basically left us with our dad, who did nothing but sleep (usually zonked out on pain killers because he had serious neck problems at the time). My mom must have said something, because it was really rare that we were left "alone" after that.. I was probably about 10 when we were no longer required to basically be free babysitters when we went to visit our dad. I don't remember actually watching after my younger sister again for any length of time until I was nearly 16, and my younger sister almost 10. I do remember getting paid for that - in my dad's terms, I was cheaper than summer camp, however I was given the option to come stay at my dad's and not have to watch her, so I really didn't mind. We had a lot of fun, and I made a bit of money too that I didn't really feel that bad about (since dad would have spent twice as much on camp). My younger brother was about 18 months and he still went to daycare... I probably could have watched him too without any problems, but I wasn't asked to.

Now, I haven't ever left my 10yo in charge of his younger siblings (I don't think I can until he's 13 here in TX), and I actually don't know that there will be a point where I will be 100% confident that he'd stay out of trouble for more than 20 minutes, nevermind keeping his younger brother and sister out of trouble. Thankfully my mom lives nearby and doesn't mind watching them, so we almost always have someone willing to watch the kids.

Also, I don't really feel like D plays too much into the equation - if it were that big of a problem, you wouldn't be leaving them alone anyways, nevermind in charge of someone else.

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

She may be mature enough to babysit for short periods of time, but 8 hours a day for half the summer is just too long for my comfort zone even if she wasn't diabetic. Maybe a high schooler could help you out. The kids can't go outside and can't have friends over all day and even though you can see the house from your job it doesn't change this. I would really try to find Plan B if at all possible.

7. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Well, I finally got my 17 yr old niece to do 3 days a week. I still am searching for the other 2 days a week. She can't do all 5 days since she is committed to babysit for someone else.

I was originally going to see if my son's friend's Mom would take him in the opposite week because she does daycare for him in the school season a couple hours a day, but she told me no to that now as well because she doesn't want the entire summer commitment. So that wouldn't have worked anyway then.

No, I can't bring them to work. I work at a legal office and that just wouldn't work.

So I am down to finding daycare for 2 days a week. I will keep looking.

8. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

I have a non-d 11 year old

And she would be just fine. I would probably have no problem with it if she did have diabetes.

However my 11 year old is overweight and would then choose to spend the summer eating and watching tv and I would have a lot of guilt about that.

My city runs a swim team at the public pools all summer. For $40 the kids swim HARD for an hour and compete on the weekends. Then they offer 30 minute tennis lessons the same day. Starts at 9:30 and is all done lunch. Lots of children walk to the park and home because mom is working.