- advertisement -

what a night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Dec 19, 2013.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Or maybe I should call it "A series of errors in diabetes management"
    Had a crazy night last night. It all started with a birthday party...The party was after school, 4pm. Checked DD's bg right before arriving, she was 98. We were at the party for about 2 hours during which she had chips, cake, and lemonade. I tried to keep up with all her snacks and was thankful for the pump remote so i didn't have to stop her from running around and enjoying the party. We get home around 6 and I made her a hot dog for dinner (super healthy day I know!) and I check her and she is 477!! Check again, 432. I figure holy crap I was off on my carb counts. And tortilla chips are the devil and I always underestimate them. So I give a correction and bolus for the hot dog bun. At this point she is super thirsty and downing bottles of water.

A little while later, we are getting ready for a bath and she is getting undressed and about to unhook her pump and she says "mommy, its already unhooked" :eek::eek::eek: Commence extreme panicking on my part. I have no idea when it got unhooked, maybe at the party when they were running around, who knows. I had bolused twice at the party and once at home (for correction and food) and I had no idea if she got any of it. At this point I had to put my son to bed because he is 18 months and climbing on chairs every 2 seconds and I just couldn't focus on what I needed to do for DD. After that, I checked again, 409. So I just assumed she got nothing from earlier and corrected the 409. Check a bit later and she was in the 300s, but stayed there. Did another correction 3 hours later, she was 220 around 2am, and then 163 when she woke up.

I hope she feels ok today after all that. She didn't mention anything and seemed fine this morning, of course I will just be worrying about her. I should have known something was up when I saw 477. I have been off on carb counts before but never saw a number that high.

Thanks for reading guys- just felt the need to tell people who understand. I think I have a few more grey hairs after that experience.

2. susanlindstrom16

Oh forgot my other mistake- when I saw the 477 I gasped in horror! I could tell I worried her by reacting that way :(

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Awww sorry you had a rough evening. We've had a couple of those circus/ everything is going wrong things as well.

4. shannong

shannong Approved members

Sometimes diabetes can really throw us curve balls. Had the same thing happen to my son once. Site was completely off, but we didn't realize for a few hours.

Hope your kid had a great time at the party anyways!

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

It seems like no matter what I do, my daughter always ends up going into the 3 and 400s- pizza, cake, chips:eek: The last party I gave her a total of 11 units and it still didn't stop it. One of those ridiculously annoying things.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

A very wise T1 adult once told me, "You Moms! You always feel guilty. It's the disease, and what you're doing right is how you respond to when the disease causes problems." I have found myself repeating it over and over to myself when I'm hard on myself.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

As far as I can see there was only 1 problem - disconnected pump.... everything else you did fine! It probably would all have worked out great.... :cwds:

8. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

I love this!! We are doing the best we can, and it seems like OP certainly did!

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Love it too!

Someone once said that guilt is for when you do something wrong. I try to keep that in mind and not be too hard on myself when things don't go as well as I hoped. I tend to want to blame myself.

In this case, you didn't knowingly do anything wrong. So you really shouldn t feel any guilt. It's not like you purposely let her eat without insulin or neglected to test her. You didn't know about he site issue and when you saw it you quickly fixed it. To me, it was handled beautifully. (And there's no guarantee she wouldn't have had highs without the site issue. Parties.....they are Awesome but a habit of throwing things off.)

Thanks for sharing. :). It will most likely go better next time. :)

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We have done the not hooked up and bloused for carbs before! more than once!

It is just another experience that will live in the back of you brain and hopefully give you a nudge the next time you are problem solving!

11. susanlindstrom16

Wow guys thank you all so much for the kind words. Sometimes its so hard to not see the numbers as a "pass" or "fail" for how well I am doing at all of this. That night I was just feeling like a complete failure and getting down on myself. What makes it hard is when I see the direct effects on how my daughter is feeling, and when I see her chugging water due to high BG it just takes me back to pre-dx when she was thirsty all the time and I was an idiot and not picking up on the signs.

She had a great time at the party though! She loves birthday parties, I'm sure there are many more in her future. Live and learn.