- advertisement -

Wetting accidents

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Deacon, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Hi all. Deacon has been having accidents at school, even though his classroom has a bathroom in it. This only seems to happen when his BG's have not been level. For the past 10 days, his endo and I have been adjusting his rates because of frequent lows. Deacon is in Good Nights at night because of bed wetting when he goes high or low.

Does anyone else see their child being more prone to accidents when their BG's are being wonky?

BTW, Deacon is 6 and was dx'ed when he was 2 1/2.

--Sara

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had night-time wetting problems until he was around 11 or 12. My husband got him out of bed every night until he grew out of it. There is some switch in the brain that doesn't kick in right away relating to holding the urination, especially at night.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Daniel was diagnosed at 4 years old, and he wasn't staying dry yet through the night then--and he still doesn't. He wears Good Nights, too. He is staying dry more often--but the wet mornings do usually coincide with high BGs. He was soaked this morning, so I was like "uh oh." Sure enough his BG was 294!! Akkk. Have no idea what happened--he was 154 before bed--but I didn't check him at 3am.

Just got a call from the school nurse--now he's low! We've been on a rollercoaster the past few days.:confused:

My sister's son, who doesn't have D, had bedwetting problems well into his elementary school years. I think it's fairly common for all boys. I tell Daniel, if a lot of boys didn't have this problem, they wouldn't make pull-ups in his size!
    I'm not concerned at this point and am sure he will grow out of it.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, we still have problems at times always at night for us, and in fact we resort back to pull ups when she has a particullary bad day of numbers, or if we realized the set may be bad and have just changed it.

5. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

My DD is 10, never have bed wetting problems but as for the awake hours when she is yo-yoing she has problems with urgency. She explained it like when you have a UTI. It is sudden and no stopping it. She has wet herself 3 time since dx when she was having a bad bg day. It is not necessarily just highs but ups and downs that really get her. I was thinking it is the spikes that are reaking havoc on her little system. I feel so bad for her because she gets so embarrased. Once was at school and she was on the phone with me telling me she was high and just started crying, thankfully our office staff are amazing and just wisked her off and took care of her... and took the phone to let me know what had happened.

I do notice our 4 year old that has a prediabetic A1c wets the bed when we notice she is running a little higher.

This is so interesting to me how the body works.

6. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

My 11 yr old son wets the bed when he is high. He also now wets a huge amount when he is lowish and the docs think it is from nighttime epileptic seizures not diabetes.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Oh, I feel for your daughter:(--that age is such a self-conscious time anyway. Wonder if anything like those "Poise" pads would work for her or if they would be too big and noticeable on a young girl. I think they make thinner ones now for just "leaks."

8. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Definitely when high. My dd will not completely wet but "leak" a bit which wakes her up and she heads to the bathroom. Only happens when she is high.

9. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

My non-d youngest DD (almost 6yrs) still wets daily through the day and night. She sometimes wears poise pads - when the medicine is not helping. If she is wearing tights or leggings she does not like the pads - but with jeans or dresses they are not noticable at all. She has chronic overactive bladder - for which she takes medicine.

Willow our Type 1 kid has not had wetting issues ever except the day before diagnosis - she wet the bed.

If it has been going on for a while (the wetting issues) it's worth checking it out with a pediatric urologist. Good luck - wetting can be such a social issue for our kids!

10. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

One of my four children wet the bed until she was pretty big, I think 9 or so - and we also used Good Nights. I didn't bother her about it. I did not want her to feel bad. My Mom had the same problem when she was young. I don't think it has been discovered exactly what is the cause. Some say stress, other say it is a physical issue. I am not sure. But the pediatrician said most kids grow out of it eventually. Thank goodness for Good Nights, I guess they had to use rubber sheets in the old days. What a pain that must have been!

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Sara, is Deacon allowed to just get up and use the bathroom or does he need to ask permission first? Im wondering if when the urge comes on if he felt comfortable just getting up and getting in the bathroom quick as some kids dont like to raise their hand and say that they have to go in front of everyone.

12. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I think bedwetting must be genetic on some level. My sister wet and he son wets. Several of my cousins wet. Thankfully we did not have this issue but understand the difficulty of it.

13. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Becky, Deacon is allowed to get up and go to the bathroom whenever he needs to. I have definitely seen a correlation between daytime accidents and his numbers not being level.

--Sara