- advertisement -

Were you taught to understand Insulin Duration?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I see threads now and again that really suggest that many newly dx'd folks are not being taught how to think about insulin duration and how to use that knowledge to manage D.

Were you?

We weren't, or if we were, it was part of the avalanche in information that overwhelmed us during the first few days and it went unabsorbed.

I can't really name any other single thing that I would want a newly dxd friend to know, but it seems to be something left out by so many Drs ... or perhaps not? What was your experience?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hahahahahahahaha! No.

I like our endo, but anything beyond the basics, I learned everything here or from books.

3. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I learned it here...NOT from our Endo.

I learn most here..:D

4. LJM

LJM Approved members

We did learn it right away from endocrine. Probably because he was on NPH/Novolog and Lantus and we had to snack at the peak of the morning NPH dose. They did charts for us in the hospital that gave us the duration/peak as a timeline. I still have those somewhere.....

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

No, we weren't taught it either. I'm not even sure we were taught anything about dosing between meals. Just the basics on mealtime injections and how to correct at mealtime. Which in hindsight is scary.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If I hadn't stumbled onto Hanas' book (another thing I wish the endo had told us about) I don't know how long it would have taken me to really get why duration matters. :rolleyes:

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We learned about it at the hospital when they trained us on NPH and when we started the pump we had to learn it a different way. Both times it went simply along the lines of not correcting until "x" hours went by. We were not taught how to estimate remaining IOB and even today we just estimate IOB rather than depending on the pump to tell us since the pump's algorithm isn't that accurate.

8. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yes we are being taught that. But with each class what they are teaching us becomes more involved.

9. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

My goodness no. Maybe because of her age and insulin sensitivity (.5u would drop her close to 500 pts) it wasn't about insulin duration, it was strictly the basics and even then it was barely the basics. Having said that it did make sense looking back.

10. joan

joan Approved members

It really is an important piece of the puzzle. My son was diagnosed so long ago but I think they did explain duration and peak because with NPH if you didn't at least have a grasp of insulin peak times you were in trouble.

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

The only thing I was taught about duration is that it peaks in 2 to 3 hours. That's all they told me. They only really taught the basics. I read some things on here and feel like I am that kid in class who is far behind everyone else. :(

12. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

They might have told us in the hospital but we were in shock so it didn't stick if they did.

This is where I come for answers.

13. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Besides the very basics we weren't taught that much. We started on nph so we were given a a very strict eating and insulin regimen. specific carbs at each meal and exact times to eat each snack. Needless to say with a 21 month old this didn't work very well. We weren't even given correction factors or anything! I really learned everything from CWD. Love you guys :)

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

We started on 70/30 mix of NPH and Regular. After a few days, both my husband and I demanded to know why this regime was not working and in the process the insulin peak and duration was explained to us. We then determined this was not the insulin for us and needed to have another option presented.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

What a great thread..

We were taught this as part of the "basics" when DD was diagnosed, and I've been thankful ever since. :cwds:

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

No, we were not. I learned it here and asked about it after to the endo.

17. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

The only thing that we were taught at dx was that we were NOT allowed to correct before three hours to avoid stacking insulin. And when we were on MDI, I had to remind myself of this rule more than once, and more than once I was happy that I did.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We just learned that insulin peaked, and we were sent on our merry way.

Learned more from our endo and a lot here.

I would have loved at the 6 month mark if we were to go back to the endo and receive more info. Like, you've made it through phase I, now on to phase II. You're ready for more. At that point, I was hungry for more info, wanted to know the why and how of things happening.

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

No, we weren't taught that. I remember wanting to know more about it after diagnosis, but didn't even know what words to use to ask the question. When I did ask, I didn't really understand the answer!! It was not until Daniel went on the pump that I really started to understand IOB (insulin on board) and use it to figure if his BS might go up or down. I think the endo docs and CDEs definitely need to provide some more education on this. But it's so hard to learn all of that stuff at the hospital. As I'm sure most parents are, I was working on no sleep and of course terrible shock. I remember trying to figure out what he should eat for meals--and not even being able to add the carbs up in my head!!

20. joshuasgranny

joshuasgranny Approved members

Like most others, we were just told that the insulin lasts 2 hours. Now that we are pumping I had never heard of the DIA (duration of insulin) setting on the pump until I read a post here asking about it. Joshua's was set to 1.5 hours, and I changed it to 4 hours after reading Pumping Insulin, but I still don't understand it and I have no idea if that setting is right. (Pumping Insulin suggested a 6 hour DIA.)

In short, I am pretty much totally in the dark with the DIA setting.

Susan