- advertisement -

We're headed to ALABAMA

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MissMadisonsMom, Jul 20, 2012.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Madison's fastpitch team earned a spot in National Championship Fastpitch Finals in Montgomery Alabama. She has become a phenomenal pitcher this year and we are so proud of her and her team.

So we'll be in Montgomery for a week and would love some input on places to visit, things to do and great restaurant recommendations. We've never been to Alabama and would appreciate any help to make our stay the best we can make it.

2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

No recommendations, but congrats to Madison! How awesome!

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just want to offer congratulations as well. What wonderful trip for you. I was in Alabama briefly years ago and you will enjoy how different things are there from the west coast. Have a wonderful time!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I thought I poster earlier that you might check out the "Road food" site and maybe "diners,drive-ins and dives" for some good local chow. We were ther once but just for a night and I don't think we found any fab food - cool hotel that had once been a train station though ;)

Congrats to Madison! That's a great accomplishment. I hope they have a wonderful time and play their best!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Oh, and the Southern Poverty Law Center, located in Montgomery, has a beautiful memorial to those who lost their lives in the civil rights movement http://www.splcenter.org/civil-rights-memorial

We were there years ago, but I remember it well.:cwds:

6. spamid

spamid Approved members

Montgomery is a great place to visit!. Definitely very historical. The Rosa Parks museum and Dr. Martin Luther King's church, both downtown are worth checking out. Depending on the schedule, there is a fabulous Shakespeare theatre in east Montgomery. Oakwood cemetery on Upper Wetumpka Road, not far from downtown has the grave of Hank Willams. Old Alabama town has a historic tour, the riverboat cruise is nice as well.

Restauarants - Chris's hot dogs on Dexter Avenue. Old time hole in the wall kind of place - $2 hot dogs, $3 hamburgers, wonderful! Country's BBQ also good if you like BBQ.

7. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Thank you for your suggestions. We will have to check out some of the museums because we have some history buffs on the team. The BBQ place is somewhere we'll have to hit - I love good bbq.