- advertisement -

We're going on a Disney Cruise!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kateri's Mom, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Kateri's Mom

Kateri's Mom Approved members

The kids don't know it yet but Dh and I are SO EXCITED!!!!! Has any of you been on a Disney Cruise? It's not until march 2011 but we will be on the new "Dream" ship they are building right now. OK so I made sure that they knew DD was a diabetic and they are notifying all the staff that will be in contact with her. They will also be putting a sharps container in our stateroom....am I missing anything? We have never been to Disney or on a cruise before (plus it's the first REAL vacation we've been on since diagnosis) so I am lost on the questions I should be asking and the special requests that are linked to her. What do I do about the food??? Do i just guesstimate the whole time or will they have carb counts for me? Any suggestions you send my way are warmly welcomed....whether it be about activities while on the ship or diabetes.

2. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Go to www.cruisecritic.com. There, you will find so much about every cruise and you can sign up for roll call for your particular cruise. Read reviews and see photos from those who had gone before you.

My wife and I were supposed to go on a 2nd honeymoon cruise on December 25th to the Bahamas. We had it planned for ages. On December 15th, Jeremy was diagnosed. Luckily we had insurance for both the cruise and the flight. Our time will come again!!

Have fun :)

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

We've done two Disney cruises on the Magic - it is awesome you get to see the new ship!

There is a wonderful Disney website with forums devoted just to the disney ships and there is a "meet" board which should have a thread just for YOUR cruise. You can find it all here: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 Look under "Disney Cruise Meets" to find the thread for your travel date. I've participated in the "meet" board for both cruises and did the "fish extender" gift exchange for both - the kids LOVED that (you make or buy small gifts for everyone on the list and put them in a special pouch hanging on or beside your door).

As for the diabetes - you will need to fill out a medical form for her and send it in. The doctor needs to sign it (her pedi can sign it - doesn't have to be the pedi endo). Also - did you get trip insurance? Getting "pre-existing medical conditions" covered under trip insurance is tricky - did you just now book? You have to buy the insurance within a week or two of booking. PM me if you need more info. You definitely want trip insurance - it can cost $50,000+ to be medically airlifted back to the USA (happened to someone in our meet thread so I heard all about it - long story & not diabetes related but the kid was ultimately fine and they had insurance thank goodness!).

They will put a fridge in your room if you request it. At least on the Magic there is a "cooler" which isn't really a fridge - doesn't get as cold. You have to guess at the carbs - a calorie king book is useful to guesstimate with. I suggest practicing your guessing skills - there is a lot of food. Room service is free, there is a huge dessert buffet one night, dinner is "formal" - very nice but also geared towards kids - but still like a long dinner with several courses. We let William pick what he wanted and guessed at it - a wonderful opportunity to try new foods and feel very "adult"!

William participated fully in the kids clubs - but he was much younger than your daughter and we had to go check him often as he couldn't check himself due to his age. You get a pager that they can notify you anywhere on the ship if she needs you so that is great.

I'm happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me. I know info on how to get to port, etc. depending on whether you are flying/driving/staying at Disneyworld before you go, etc. Check out those boards!:):)

4. MLH

MLH Approved members

cruising with diabetes

We've been on two cruises with our daughter with D. The food by far is the hardest part. The food is available 24/7, desert is offered at every meal. I didn't even ask about carb counts, we did our best guessing. I was pretty aggressive with bolus amounts. The food was always more carbs than I imagined, plus there is a lot of added fat to account for. Overall the portions are not that big. We stayed away from he cafeteria dining as well and only ate in the restaurants. We ate lots of fruit too.

I had her wear her sensor and we checked A LOT!!! We used a lot of temporary rates too.

We set some "family food rules" such as no one needs desert at every meal--it's just not healthy. Therefore, we all picked one desert a day to have. We tried to limit the bread that was put on the table before each meal. We tried to have high carb meals (pasta, etc) early. Analeigh's numbers were pretty good the entire time, but we ALL still put on some extra weight:eek:

She participated in camp. They gave us a beeper so they could contact us at any time if there was a problem. Happily, there never was!

They did a lot of swimming, so that helped keep the numbers down.

Overall, it was a great experience and tons of fun. Enjoy yourself and relax. It's just a week over the course of a lifetime, so if the #'s are a little crazy it will be ok!

Have a GREAT trip!:)

5. linda

linda Approved members

Never been on a cruise, but disney itself was very accomodating! Can you have a small frig in cabin on cruises??

Wow..gain weight on vavcation?? Weve always lost weight...walking and so much activity...guess thats what they mean by the good food on cruises....:rolleyes:

6. Kateri's Mom

Carol...thankfully my sister-in-law advised me to get the insurance but what do i have to do to get her pre-existng condition on there? I figured the food would be my biggest headache but I agree that it is only a week out of a lifetime so I hope I can be kinda "go-with-the-flow" about it. Thank you all for responding, My husband and I are so excited, this is the first cruise experience and our first Disney experience too...I don't know how long I can hold this secret inside! My plan is to surprise them Christmas morning...maybe I can at least hold out until their birthdays in May????

7. selketine

Did you buy the insurance through DCL or though another company? If you are within a week or two of booking I would try to go through another company. I spent many days non-stop on the phone with the carrier DCL uses (at least at the time) for their insurance and they have different rules than some for pre-existing conditions. I ended up getting my own insurance rather than through Disney. I don't know if DCL uses the same insurance carrier as they did a few years ago - and I can't remember which one it was!

I am happy to provide you with the details if you really want to hear them all - LOL! I almost cancelled our first cruise because I was so frustrated with finding info on pre-existing conditions. I used this broker and here is the web page explaining the weirdness of pre-ex conditions: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/pre-existing.shtml Yes...that is me they quote at the top - believe me - I don't work for them nor did they pay me for that endorsement - LOL!

I'm not trying to worry you - I just wanted you to be aware. I don't think most people know that pre-existing conditions can void your coverage and all the nit picky details of getting covered.

And check out those DCL boards - people come up with cool ways to surprise the kids. I was thinking you could do it at Easter if you celebrate that holiday. I don't think I could wait until Christmas! If you get the travel channel they sometimes do shows on the Disney ships. I'll be curious to see if they put one together for the Dream - of course the Dream doesn't say until 2011 so you will be one of the first!

As for activities - there are a TON of activities - some for adults and some for families - the kids clubs have their own activity schedule. Our kids spent a fair amount of time in the clubs cause the clubs are wonderful. We did some family stuff too - my husband did one of the "beer tastings" which is just for adults of course. Another big thing is deciding on what port activities you will do. The Passporter people put out a great guide to DCL - not sure if they are covering the Dream ship yet. Is this an Eastern or Western? I cannot remember what the choices are for that time period. How many days? Both our cruises were 7 night Westerns so if you are going to Key West, Grand Cayman, Mexico, I can suggest things. Castaway Cay is wonderful!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. Kateri's Mom

We chose the 4 night bahama cruise so Castaway Cay is on our agenda. I figured 4 night was right in the middle and perfect for our first voyage. When I make flight reservations where will we be flying into? Do I have to have all the kids club stuff planned and signed up for before we even get on the ship or can the kids decide when we get there? I read that I can get online and register for stuff like 75 days before we embark. Is a birth certificate all we need for the kids when it comes to documentation that is required? Adults need birth certs and a drivers license right?

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are looking into doing a cruise this April. I want to do a Disney one, but the biggest problem is that only late dinner seating (845) is available. That just won't fly with my kids, it's past their bedtime! Also, they only had inside cabins, I've done it and am not a huge fan of them.

10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

You will be flying into Orlando Int'l Airport. I recommend flying in the night before and either staying at WDW, a hotel airport or rent a car and drive to Port Canaveral and spend the night there. You can register your kids for the clubs on line, but you don't register for activities. They will be listed in your daily navigator and they just go to the ones they want. BCs are all that is currently required for children. BCs and DL are currently required for adults. However, you may want to consider passports, for emergency sake, as you will not be able to fly home from the Bahamas without them if you needed to.

As previously mentioned, go to the DIS boards. There is a ton of good information and very helpful people (including myself) on the forums.

11. selketine

You could get the kids something to eat from the buffet and them drop them off in the kids club (they have down time there - watch movies and nap for those who are tired) and you and your husband could go to dinner. My kids wouldn't go for this as they like the dinners but some swear by it!

We had an inside cabin our last cruise and I really liked it - I guess I just don't spend so much time in the room. The balcony rooms are definitely nice though!

We flew into Orlando and spent the night at Disney. You can rent a car and drop it off at Port Can. or you could take Disney transport from one of the Disney hotels. Note that they do NOT pick up at all their hotels - just a few of them - so you might want to book at one they pick up at. We've done both and both were fine. Cheaper to rent a car and drive yourself but nicer to let Disney do the driving and lifting of the luggage!

12. McKenna'smom

As of this year, DCL DOES pick up from all WDW resorts, even the value resorts. DCL transfers will run $35 per person. So, in the OP's case, renting a car or hiring a towncar will be less expensive. Personally, I love the DCL transfer service.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Girls want to do the whole dinning thing with us, so it creates a problem. I have to say, the inside cabins are pretty nice looking, I probably wouldn't mind, but hubby...it would drive him bonkers.
    Thanks for the info Carol!

14. McKenna'smom

Have you tried getting on a wait list for main dining?

15. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I agree, I am not a fan of inside cabins either.

When you book a DCL cruise and inform them that your child has diabetes, they will send you a medical form to fill out. On the form note that you must have early seating for medical reasons and they will give it to you.

DCL is very accomodating for special needs. We have done a 4 day on the Wonder and a 7 day on the Magic and we now have an Alaskan cruise booked with them for July 2011. We love them ;)

16. Toni

Toni Banned

I envy you. Have a great time! Much more relaxing than a regular Disney vacation. Bring your Calorie King book, a measuring cup.