- advertisement -

Wendell Fowler's "apology"?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Ellen, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

This person is a lost cause.

3. Blue

Blue Approved members

I agree with one of the responders - He should have stopped at "I blew it".

4. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

A lost cause indeed :eek:

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Anyone else unable to post a comment or to register to post?

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

what a d-bag. My child understands moderation, what is healthy, where food comes from and how it's made-more than any child his age does! He is so wrong to target children with diabetes!

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've contacted the publisher. I was willing to give a pass to some crank with a column written to gin up some publicity and generate ad dollars. I'm not good with even an advertising medium allowing this to continue. The man has cognitive difficulties, it's clear, but the paper needs to stop giving him a platform. People believe it if it's written on newsprint.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

And he blew it again. :rolleyes:

9. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

How is this any better than his original article? Idiot!:mad:

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

wow, from the frying pan into the fire..thanks so much for keeping us informed about these articles!!:rolleyes:

12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Hacked with insulting comments ? interesting choice of words.

ETA sorry to have quoted you when my comment did not directly relate to your post.

I just thought the author describing his facebook as having been "hacked with insulting comments" was kind of funny. Maybe he does know a thing or two about nutrition because he looks great for 97.

It reminds me of the article where a chiropractor commented something along the lines of "100 years ago diabetes was obsolete."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  13. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Agreed, that Mr. Fowler is a lost cause and there's no convincing him that what he writes isn't true. But it's bigger than him; as one of the CWD forum posters mentioned here earlier. It's about the newspaper allowing this type of thing, and that there's no specific apology to the very organization he used as the premise to make his misinformed point.

Thanks for bringing attention to this over here, Ellen, and for helping to make sure we have accurate information about all diabetes being presented out there in the media. Lots of work to do, as we knew, and sadly these types of columns and newspaper printings just reinforce that. But we do what we do.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You people are trying to teach a pig to sing here. ;)

You can't fix stupid.

15. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Yeah, but if you can't teach the pig to sing, can't you at least take away his microphone?:p Nah, probably not. And then I might just feel all sorry for the pig. . .

16. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Unfortunately, he could easily find a new microphone.

17. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

The thing is, the more people who blog about this and mention Wendell Fowler's name online, will add to the amount of unfavorable items when people google or search for him. Already an article from TuDiabetes is on the first page of searches. If people search for him and realize that he is not a credible resource, they might be more hesitant to believe what he says. Also, a lot of media outlets might not give him space on their sites if they realize that he won't get any positive traffic.

18. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Exactly. If WE who have voices do nothing, then this type of misinformation and newspaper writing will continue. Yes, this individual can find a new microphone. But by raising our voices and raising fuss about it, this makes that push for a new microphone more difficult, and maybe - just maybe - will change opinions of those who provide those microphones.

THAT is the point. Otherwise, we can gripe about it on forums amongst each other and then rinse and repeat every single time it happens in the future.

For those who've fighting these battles for decades, they say the misinformation still exists but the social media and online response is making more of a difference now than they'd ever experienced before. Raising our voices is making a difference and we're being heard by many. That is progress.

19. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

And his Haiku is terrible.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

please post it :cwds: