- advertisement -

Well that was fun. 110 to 68 to 40 to low in 15 minutes.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sszyszkiewicz, Dec 31, 2014.

1. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Yeah so my son just dropped like a rock. He was a confirmed 110 at dinner. 30 carbs. 3 units. Lunch was hours ago. he did have a a 10 carb snack about an hour before dinner (1 unit).

10 minutes after the bolus for dinner Dex buzzed in at 68.
    then 5 minutes later 43
    a fingerstick said 30
    Then dex said "low" with a down arrow.

30 additional uncovered carbs went down the hatch between the 68 and 43, and I was ready with the shot, but he is now climbing. Dex says 70 with slight arrow up. He is off the couch and wants to know when we are headed to the New Years Eve festivities.

We have been at this for 13 months and that has never happened before. The only thing I can think of was some of the insulin somehow went directly into his bloodstream or he miscounted the carbs/over bolused for the snack.

Just holy cow. You go from a normal dinner to rescue mode in literally 10 minutes.

and he will need a correction I am sure, but what a way to ring in the new year!

2. mntgrl

mntgrl Approved members

That is crazy, so stressful. Not looking forward to times like that :( We are only one month in and have just started seeing lows occasionally, not fun. Hope he is back on track for a long stretch!

3. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Holy cow. You handled it so well. Scary though - we haven't had anything like that yet.

Happy New Year.

4. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

So scary. For my son, unexplained lows typically indicate that some sort of illness is coming on. He'll have an evening/night of lows and then 24-36 hours later will have cold symptoms.

5. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

Since we are only one week in I am sure things will change for us and i am not looking forward to those moments. I was trying to go over the things that we learned in our first class, which may have been abbreviated since it was the day after Christmas and a lot of people were off work.

For now we are just covering carbs at meals and if he wants a snack over 20g's, they are letting them have a snack between meals that has 20g's and we do not inject for that, which has been nice and I hope continues at least with the after school snack, if he wants one, or he will probably be eating a lot of meat and cheese when he gets home as he will be home alone for about 1.5 hours. We are also only correcting at meals..I think the goal for us is to just be safe right now until we get more experience and education on board..maybe things will change.

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I hate when that happens. Seems to happen at night for us more often than any other time. Sometimes it's like the carbs are just nonexistant or the insulin is supercharged.