- advertisement -

Well it's done! Stem cell research.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Mar 9, 2009.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Thank-you for saying EXACTLY what I feel!

2. ajsmama

ajsmama Approved members

Hooray! A cure may be within reach.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We need a thread killer :eek:

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

nough said.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Did I hear someone call for a Thread Killer....here I am!

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

FWIW if anyone has any interesting ESC scientific research for diabetes to share, I'm interested.

7. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Bring it on.... if this heats things up for a 'race for the cure' then I'll cook me some eggs myself. Small problem of hubbys vasectomy but.. if i could I would. The more people working on this the better.:D

I've even kept Obama's speech as a record for my son and Obama is my new superman. It wasn't an easy call he made and I admire him for it.

8. Mars

Mars Approved members

Okay, I'm usually a thread killer here, so here goes:

Since the day we found out that my son contracted this awful disease, the light at the end of the tunnel has been the hope of a cure. Will ESC be the cure? Obviously, none of us know the answer at this point.

I encourage each of you to sit down with your D children and ask them their thoughts on this. Of course make the discussion age appropriate. I didn't have to ask my son. We all watched the news last night & saw the President sign the legislation. I looked over at my son and his eyes had welled up with tears and he had a huge smile on his face. That was enough for me.

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Per Jeff's suggestion, this reply is only about the science, not about the morals of it.

Buggle is correct, not all beta cells are killed by the time of a T1 diagnosis. There is mounting
    evidence from several studies on both animals and humans concluding that if BG is kept is kept
    tightly controlled in a normal range after diagnosis, some beta cell function can be preserved for
    quite a long time.

The concept of stem cells is that they can grow into any kind of cell. Obviously, in the normal
    evolution from an embryo into a fully formed human being from an embryo, stem cells can do that.
    However, I can't help but question statements like these (from the article Ellen posted):
    Spinal cord injury repair: The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis already is seeking FDA approval
    to experiment with adult stem cells, injecting them around the injury to see if they will
    generate into spinal cord cells, restoring the patient's ability to walk. Now it will add embryonic
    stem cells, which are more flexible, to the FDA request.
    Now this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Let's say you take stem cells and "inject them around
    the spinal cord injury". What is going to make them turn into spinal cord cells? And if they do, what
    makes them seek out the point of injury, and affix themselves precisely to that point, removing and
    replacing damaged cells in such a way as to repair severed nerves? Seems to me there is an equal
    chance that a person might just grow a 2nd spine. Or a couple of extra discs. Or if some of the cells
    leak around the front of the spine, maybe a 2nd set of intestines.

From there, the articles continues:
    Diabetes treatments: UM researchers using embryonic stem cells from the limited lines approved
    by the Bush administration announced in April that they had stopped diabetes in lab animals by
    restoring the pancreas' ability to produce insulin, said Dr. Camillo Ricordi, director of UM's
    Diabetes Research Institute.
    There is an interview I found online with Dr. Ricordi, which states:
    The DRI is focusing on stem cell research with embryonic, amniotic, and cord blood cells. The
    objective is to increase the supply of insulin-producing cells by guiding stem cells to develop in
    the right direction.
    I understand the theory, but has any stem cell actually been "guided" to develop into a beta cell yet?

In another interview:
    The construction of a safe and functional bioartifical pancreas (BAP), complete with cells that can
    secrete insulin in response to blood sugar concentrations, can be developed using stem cells... ?
    We are trying to design and develop a subcutaneously implant bag-type of BAP,? ... ?In tests on
    animal models, subcutaneously implanted BAPS have shown excellent induction of new blood vessels.

Yes, but did the beta cells in the BAP that cured mice come from stem cells? It doesn't sound like it.

If anyone has an article showing that a stem cell has every been turned into a beta cell (or any other
    kind of cell), please post it. That would help me to understand why someone would write an article titled
    "stem cells promise to cure diabetes, cancer, and heart disease".

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'm too zonked out to look up anything right now, but maybe we can get more info about this later and discuss it. I think that the regeneration of beta cells is something that's important to all of us.

This is WAY outside my area, but I remember learning at some point that cells communicate with each other and that cells learn from their neighbor cells who and what type of cell they are. I used to have an embryology book and I may have learned it there. Remember that every cell has the DNA for all the cells of the body, yet they all differentiate into different types of cells. There are chemical signals for sure that tell them what to do, but much of that is from neighboring cells. So if you put a stem cell into a spinal cord, the environment of the other cells might very well tell it to become a nerve cell of the type that's in the spinal cord. I don't know of what things have gone wrong or what that potential is, but I would assume that what Nick said of stem cells forming tumors could be true. The reason people use animal models is because a ton of it is just trial and error - pretty much like try this and see what happens. Some people actually think things through and have a plan, but many don't. So much is unknown that a lot of research is by the seat of your pants.

You hear about people starting to grow organs. I have no idea how they do that. I need to look up what's been done as far as that goes, because so much science is hype and exaggeration to get grants and attention. So much of it should be taken with a grain of salt and you really have to read the original papers and try to make sense of it. Tons of research is just junk.

11. TimO

TimO Approved members

Enough. Enough. I love you all dearly but let's remember why we're here... our KIDS! You are all like family to me. Let's get on with sharing what's of utmost importance here...sharing life-experiences of caring for our D-kids.

12. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The specifics are far beyond my level of comprehension, and the cells aren't human, but here's a study.

http://stemcells.alphamedpress.org/cgi/reprint/23/5/656.pdf

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Can anyone tell me how does research (in general) go (which steps) until human trials are allowed? How long, what criteria must be fulfilled in order to advance to the next phase?

14. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

I can honestly say that I do not care how the cure comes about just that it does!!
    As for myself I am a Christian and let me tell you when it comes to my child the devil could hand me a cure and you better believe I would take it. My daughter does not deserve what she has to endure. She did not ask for this. I'm sick of seeing her cry because she is not feeling well due to being high or too low. I'm sick of pricking her finger countless times a day. I'm sick of worrying if she will develop cataracts or neuropathy or someother crappy side effect from this horrible disease. I would never be able to look her in the eye if there was a cure and I didn't get it for her cuz I didn't agree with it. Its not your choice it is your child's choice. They are the ones who have to live with this. They are not your possessions they are a gift.

15. MLH

MLH Approved members

Well said, Maryann. I agree with you 100%!:)

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

this is a kids page:
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/tech/stemcells/sctoday/
    but the side bar sort of explains, in very basic terms, how they make a cell become what they want it to.

And like buggle says, it does have something to do with the surrounding tissue that is placed around - so if you put the stem cell next to heart tissue, it will turn into heart tissue, given the right environment, nutrients, conditions. If you place it next to the spinal nerves it will grow into those. In cell biology it's call pluripotent, meaning the cell has the ability to turn into what they need.

so they know it can be done. They just haven't done it yet. Will it help diabetes? who knows. Will it help other diseases? who knows. there is mass potential there though.

17. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

You read my mind.

18. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I don't understand enough about the science behind it, but as an equestrian, I know that stem cell therapies have been very succesful in the last few years in treating horses with tendon damage. I've read articles pointing to many applications of stem cell therapies in the veterinary world that have been able to advance quickly because they don't have the same approval process to go through.

I personally know of horses who have been completely "cured" of their injuries which would have previously been "career ending" (as in the horse would have had a limp of sorts for the rest of it's life when being ridden or worked) with stem cell treatments.

19. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I know in dogs, vets (or whoever) can take stem cells from fatty tissue, reinject them into the dogs, and those cells develop into cartilage, tendons, etc.

20. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

But we aren't talking about STEM CELL research here, we are talking about EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH. There is a difference