- advertisement -

Well...here we are

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gboysmom, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Sigh...My name is Stacey and my son, Griffen was just diagnosed with type 1 on July 10. I haven't been around a message board in some time, but find this site to be sooooo helpful that I can't stand it...needed to get plugged in and have some support from other families in the same situation. We are doing good, so far, but I'm thinking we need to work on his diet more. Looking forward to meeting you all. :)

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Welcome Stacey. How old is Griffen?

3. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

Welcome! My son was dx on the same day as yours, only one year earlier. :) (not that it is something to be happy about, but a small coincidence . :))

How old is Griffin?

4. gboysmom

Griffen will turn 8 on the 29th of this month. That day will stick with us, not just because of the diagnosis, but because it's my dads birthday too and they spent it with us at the childrens hospital!

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Stacey welcome to the family:) Im sorry you had to join us but i promise we will take good care of you and Griffin in the coming weeks and months. For now be very patient and gentle with yourself and take it slow. You will learn all there is to learn about diabetes. There is much to be learned in the forums so please ask away, just remember that no question is stupid. Join us in the parents chatroom too if you like to talk to other parents of kids with diabetes.

6. gboysmom

Thanks so much! I feel warmed and better already!!! :D

7. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

That is good that you will have a positive connotation for that date. We will always remember that day as the day Zane's life was saved.

Glad you found CWD, this is a great place to be! :)

8. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Stacey...welcome! You will find this place invaluable! My middle daughter was diagnosed 10 years ago today. Right at this moment we were being admitted to the hospital from the clinic. I was sooooooo scared....I was 8 months pregnant with my 3rd child. I delivered her one month to the day later! She was also diagnosed with diabetes 8 years later. It's been a long road, but most days are good days! Right now they are BOTH away at Tn Camp for Diabetic Children....it's blissful.

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

My son was diagnosed just after he turned 8. It's been a little over a year for us now and it gets better and easier as you go.

From my experience and having a child the same age at dx, my son had a pretty easy time accepting it. He was a trooper from the beginning and he was still too young to be self-conscious about it. He just sort of got on with life. He's still doing well, but it's taken a over a year for him to start getting annoyed with having diabetes. But he's still not letting it get to him much.

I hope your son adjusts and does ok. I think it's harder on us parents in many ways, but we adjust and learn to live with it too.

Welcome and I hope you settle in and get comfortable on the forum. I would have been so lost without all the expert advice on day-to-day management. The emotional support has helped so much too.

10. Debbie

Debbie Approved members

Hi-
    I'm glad you found this site. It is helpful. Call/facebook me if I can do anything or if you just want to talk.

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Glad you found us!! It is a wonderful place to get your questions answered and to find support of people who get it. We know how hard this time in your life is. I'm so sorry Griffen had to be dx with D! I think, in the long run, this makes our kids stronger and greater. They will do something great for this world someday. I just know it!

12. gboysmom

Griffen has been super about all of this...he has had a couple of nights with tears. One was the night before we found out we were heading to Cooks when I talked to him about what all of this could mean. Then in the hospital, he completely fell apart our last night there. Mad and the whole nine yards. I just held him and allowed him to get it all out.

He is back to his old self that we haven't seen in several months. BLESSING!!!

It's been interesting to say the least, but we have our whole family behind us and the best friends anyone could ask for!

13. gboysmom

LOL...Oh, Debbie! I didn't put two and two together! :rolleyes: Good to see you here!!!

14. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Hi, and welcome to the board! Ah, I remember those (sleepless) nights at Cooks. I miss our Endo there... loved him!! Isn't it amazing how their personalities come back after a little insulin??? Cha-ching, like magic; here's your child back!! I hope you and Debbie are going to join the Fort Worth gathering at Chili's.. they need all of our boys in there at the same time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Let that big SIGH out here anytime...

My son is also 8, he was DX almost two years ago. We just started pumping 1 week ago.

It is a tough ride at first, it does get smoother and then can get rough all over again. Please know we ALL understand. Come here often for support, information and friendship. While you will find this disease is very frustrating it also will bring you knowledge and CWD will always make you feel at home. :cwds:

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

17. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Ethan was diagnosed on April 20, which is both my dad's and my cousin's birthday. Obviously not that I had hoped he would share the date with them in that way.

Welcome to CWD. As you've already seen, there are some really great people here, and always folks available to share experiences and offer support or a kind word.

18. Mfry

Mfry Approved members

Welcome, I'm a newbie to the board, but have been living with diabetes in our family for 19 months now. It will get easier, and boards like this are great for venting and getting advice and support. I am a member of a few, and they are all awesome!

19. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

Wish I could say glad your here but I'm not but since you have joined the club I'm glad you also joined the forum. It took me 2.5 years to join.

You are likely in the sleep deprivation stage which is so hard - When my first child was diagnosed I went for I think three weeks with very little sleep and then crashed - I thought I learned my lesson but I did the same thing when a second child of mine was diagnosed. I guess my advice would be take naps when you can so that your body gets enough sleep the first few weeks are just so hard.

BTW - I am in Texas too - down just north of Austin. I tried to start a Texas Community but no one has joined yet.

Prayers are with you and your family.
    Christina

20. Bobbie

Bobbie Approved members

Welcome to CWD, glad you found this site! I know that you will be fine now that you have this site to come to when you are in need of comfort or helpful information.