- advertisement -

Welcome to the CWD Forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Welcome to the new CWD Forums, where you can share your experiences, seek advice and support, and learn from others in the diabetes community.

Be sure to upload a photo of yourself or something meaningful to you. If you have a Quilt for Life square, that's something to consider.

I'll create new forum headings as needed, so please send me a message if you have an idea for one.

2. hazletmom

hazletmom New Member

Is this going to replace the mailing list?

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The CWD Forums will replace the old Message Board.

The CWD Mailing Lists (parents, etc.) will not be touched.

4. Jackie UK

Jackie UK Member

"I'll create new forum headings as needed, so please send me a message if you have an idea for one."[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeff

Would it be possible to have a forum heading for UK parents, mainly due to the differences in care provided in the UK and lack of access to insulin pumps, (currently improving) and also the mmol and mg/dl differences?

Jackie Jacombs

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Yes -- forums for UK, Australia, and New Zealand added.

6. MaryBeth

MaryBeth New Member

Thanks for creating these message boards! I enjoy reading the email list, but seem to run out of time to get through all of the messages. I think this will be much easier for me to read through!

Thanks again for everything you do!
    Mary Beth

7. julia

julia Approved members

Yay! I love the email list, but this will be cool, too.

Thanks, Jeff.

8. julia

julia Approved members

Coupla questions:
    Are you going to keep rep turned on?
    Are our profile pictures supposed to show up next to our names?

9. jnlmarte

jnlmarte New Member

Here I am!

I'm in! This is exciting! Thanks Jeff! You know my dh actually prefers message boards to mailing lists, because it does not interfere with his email. I'll bet he will jump on this! This is way cool!

:p

10. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'm still learning about all the features, such as reputation. Pictures should appear -- I'll look into that.

11. julia

julia Approved members

I'm only asking about rep because I've seen it get really nasty on other boards. You need to make sure people have thick skins because bad (or red) rep can bring out some pretty weird behaviour in people.

I think rep is cool, but we've shut it off on the board I mod on because it started getting ugly. That and the guy running the board thought it was juvenile. Used properly, it can be a good tool.

12. noelphobic

noelphobic Approved members

what is rep?:confused:

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

If the reputation feature turns out to be unhelpful, then I'll turn it off.

14. julia

julia Approved members

See the little scales icon in the right hand corner of every post? If you click on that, you can leave reputation for the poster. If you like their post, you leave good rep, if you don't, you leave bad rep.

The more posts you have, the more your reputation points are worth. So a poster who has 10,000 posts will be able to give more rep than someone who only has 100 posts.

Most of the time, rep is just used to say "Yeah, I agree with you" and not have that comment clogging up the threads. But sometimes, people will disagree or disapprove of a post and give red rep. If the receiver of the rep has a thick skin, this usually isn't a problem. If not, though, it can mean retaliatory red repping and can cause in-fighting and accusations of clicque-ishness. I've seen it happen on another board that I'm involved with and we shut it off there.

Hopefully it will work here. It can be a good tool when used properly.

15. Sweetkidmom

Sweetkidmom Approved members

Hello Jeff
    I LOVE the new forums! Thanks SO much.:D
    Would it be possible to add a Forum Thread under the Living with Diabetes (day-to-day management issues) about Testing (as in testing BG)? There always seems to be loads to discuss about testing bg's.

Thanks!
    Kay

16. Melanie

Melanie Approved members

Thanks so much for everythin you do Jeff. My family doesn't know where we would be if it wasn't for this whole sight. We love it! It is so helpfull and you get to meet so many great people! thanks again!:cwds:

Melanie (mom to Rayana, 3, dx'd 2004)