- advertisement -

Weight Watchers members...?? for you

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

OK, time to get back on the wagon:eek:

How different is the old "points" program compared to the new?

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

points plus is much more low carb. I didn't really like it, and I always felt hungry. I never felt hungry on the old system, and I lost a lot of weight using it. So I cancelled my membership.

3. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

The Points Plus 2012 is the same as the original Points Plus except for they lowered the daily points somewhat - but it is very different from the points program of several years ago, they calculate using carbs(turned me off at first:) but really no big deal) fat, fiber and protien so the old calculater and slides will not work - you get more points but things cost more too. Most fruits and veggies are 0 points plus so that is really nice. I have been on it since last April and have lost 24 lbs:D could have been more but I kind of dropped out for about 4 or 5 months last summer/fall but started back faithfully on Dec 1 and lost 15 lbs since then....it is a great program and I really think the meetings are important in my success. I am a lifetime member since 2006 - I kept it off until about 2008 but I think that D helped me keep it off at first then after the "new normal" kicked in I forgot to pay attention to me so I gained it all back and had to start over but I have every intention of reacing my goal - I have a new determination! Good Luck

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't notice that it is low carb - though you put in carbs rather than calories. Like noted they upped the point limit and items count more points. It seems like a wash to me otherwise - mostly.

Fruit is zero points - which can be dangerous if you like bananas, grapes, pineapple, etc. and eat a lot of fruit!

On the other hand it is psychologically better to know if you're starving you can eat some fruit and not get dinged horribly with the points. I am WAY more likely to eat fruit than anything else. There are lots of debate on the WW boards about how much fruit is ok - some people are very conservative and others seem to eat tons of it. I think it can definitely add 200-400 calories a day to what you're eating so ....depending on your body, your exercise, whether you use your exercise points and weekly points - this can slow your weight loss.

It is very tweakable though.

5. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm on it, but I really hate it (being a diabetic I hate counting points and carbs) I tend to do it for a day or two, then stop for the week=O as a result I haven't lost any weight=(

6. Beach bum

This is what can get me in trouble if I'm not careful!

How about veggies? Are they "free?"

7. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

I love it. Joined over a year ago. I have met my goal weight and am now a Lifetime member. I have no weekly fees. Cannot say enough good things about the system.

8. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Most veggies (almost all) all free but things like corn or sweet potatoes that have a bit more sugar are low points. Strange to me that bananas are free, but whatever. Lol.

9. Beach bum

Glad that hasn't changed:) Find it odd bananas are free, because if you ate two every few days, while healthy, can add up weight wise...

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I think it encourages members to eat healthier! For me it was a most welcome change. I used to get irritated at meetings where members would talk about the junkiest "low point" food to eat. I always wanted to scream about the pitfalls of high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oil...but I thought I'd get lynched by the mob!! :eek:

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This is why the whole points system never made sense to me. Watching friends save points for pringles and happy hour. :rolleyes: I still think the programs from the 1970s and 80s were the healthiest way to lose weight. Glad to read though that they seem to be headed back in a direction toward a healthy approach.

12. Beach bum

It always amazed me how people manipulated things to such extremes. Like I eat half a peanut butter cup every day to satisfy my sweet tooth. Um hello, have a rice cake with a bit of pb and sprinkle a few chocolate chips on it and you have a more filling, healthy result.