- advertisement -

Weight loss with Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lexi's Mom, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Lexi's Mom

Lexi's Mom Approved members

I am sure that there are threads already about how to lose weight when you are a type 1 diabetic.

Can anyone point me to them?

Or does anyone have any success stories to tell that might give me some direction?

My daughter has her endo appointment at the end of the month and would like to go prepared to do some talking to the doctor.

Need help! My daughter does not need to lose much but diffently does not want to gain anymore. She will be 15 after the first of the year. She is on regular and NPH.

:cool::)

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How's she doing with that? My daughter used R and NPH as well, and because of that, she had to eat a certain amount of carbs. In general, I don't find that conducive to weight loss. Have you discussed switching regimens with your endo?

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I am not sure a person with diabetes needs to do anything different than a person that doesn't have it to lose weight. Why would they? A healthy diet, smaller portions, a regular exercise regimen are all things that could help someone lose weight.

I think it is very important to tread carefully when dealing with teenage girls, body image, weight loss/gain, eating disorders. If this is something that she wants to do and you understand her reasons behind why she wants to do it, then there are ways to go about it. As I said above, those ways of going about it shouldn't have anything to do with having diabetes, given that she manages her diabetes in a sensible fashion (testing before and after exercise, etc).

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It does have something to do with D, because she's on R and NPH so is likely on a fixed number of carbs. If she just drops her carbs without adjusting the insulin then she will go low, and if she exercises without extra carbs then she will go low. And if she reduces her insulin without reducing carbs / exercising more, then she will go high.

OP, how is regular/NPH working generally? If there are other problems, you might want to switch to a different regimen.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Good point. Since the OP was asking a general question about weight loss and Type 1 diabetes, I was responding to that, rather than her particular regimen (which I should have taken into account).

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

There are two ways to lose weight:
    - exercise more
    - reduce calorie consumption

Both will require adjustments to the insulin regimen, and I am concerned that the NPH/Regular regimen she is on will not be flexible enough to accommodate the needed adjustments.

If you are really firm on wanting to stay with the regimen, then maybe try posting the details and we can make suggests on how to tweak things to facilitate her losing a few pounds.. :cwds:

7. Deal

Deal Approved members

Now Wilf, you won't sell many books by boiling it down to the facts.

8. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

One thing to considder is having her look at what her carb choices are. We all understand that R and NPH fixes your carbs, but there are healthy options and unhealthy options. An apple with 20 grams of carbs and a cookie with 20 grams of carbs have very different calorie contents. This is also a healthy habbit to get into in general and does not promote the trap of "all carbs are bad."

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'd absolutely suggest changing your insulin regime. Feeding the insulin, as in having to eat a certain number of carbs regardless of how hungry you are as you must do with NPH/Regular is certainly not conducive to losing weight. There are much more flexible regimes that would allow your daughter to eat only when she's hungry, and/or easily reduce her carb intake for weight loss purposes. Furthermore, the incidence of hypoglycaemia is decreased with basal/bolus regimes, hopefully reducing the need to eat extra carbs to treat a low. This type of regime would also allow her to reduce insulin to accommodate for exercise rather than carb up to stave off lows.

10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I was on Regular and NPH for years, and was never on a strict schedule, always on MDI, it can be done. Wilf does it for his daughter.
    NPH was always used as a basal and never for food, therefore it didn't need to be fed. If I felt like eating a snack I took regular. I seldom had evening snacks, it just wasn't done in our house.

Wilf's advice is perfect!

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I use Jillian Michels 30 day shred (or at least I use it when I have time) its more muscle stuff with a little bit of arobics so it doesn't screw with my numbers. Its only 20 minutes, something like this along with healthy diet and such might work............. gook luck

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

It always amazes me that the diet "industry" rakes in $40 billion a year..

13. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree. Agree. I think that for most of us, not all, but most, energy in, energy out, and what is not used turns to fat. So if you are gaining unwanted weight, reduce your food, or increase your exercise/activity. It does not matter what any "calorie or weight site" tells you. I at least find that my daily life these days does not require the energy my Grandparents had to spend to get by and so I do need to eat less than they did. I also find serving sizes in restaurants and grocery stores insanely large. The restaurant and the packaged food industry has grossly altered our sense of what a normal serving size looks like on our plate or in a bag. Sorry for my soap box...:eek::cwds:ali

14. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

I don't want to sound harsh..that's not my way,so if it comes across wrong,im sorry...I think you should talk to your doctor about it because she is still growing and her brain is still developing.Our nutritionist told us that even tho Brandon is 15,he still needs a certain amount of fat,calories,and carbos to maintain his
    health.So all your ideas are great,but I would just check to see where her guidelines would be for her age,height,and weight..Good luck

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Ain't it the truth!;)