- advertisement -

Weeping skin

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by sage68, Nov 29, 2010.

1. sage68

sage68 Approved members

So YDD recently has been having problems with her skin getting red and weeping under the Dexcom sensor. I am guessing it is the adhesive itself that is causing it since i don't put anything on it, but do put Flexifix over it, the redness appears to be isolated to the sensor and not the flexifix. The interesting part of all of this is that it appears that the redness and weeping doesn't occur until after she takes a bath. The site looks great until after it gets wet. It is almost like there is something in the adhesive that reacts to her skin only when wet. Would putting flexifix under it (cutting a hole for the sensor to go through) and then put another layer of flexifix over it possibly solve this problem? Anyone have any other ideas? As of right now, i can only make these sensors last a week because i don't feel right restarting them when she is obviously reacting to them. And it takes me about a week to get the site (arms) back to where i can use it again.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We had the exact problem. You can search my posts and find pictures I posted too. After trying numerous tape(several layers) under barriers, wipes, and yes even wax paper we decided to rip off the Dexcom tape. Only to find out that he is allergic to the sensor. I hope you find a solution. Our solution was to go to Minimed Guardian.

3. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Well, swell. Her sensor is due to be restarted tomorrow so I am going to take it off and put a new one on the other arm and maybe try putting the flexifix under and see if that works. I'm going to try and exhaust all options before going the guardian route, as I have heard that inserter hurts!

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You can punch holes through layers of tape with a one hole punch. That is what we did. Also, using a J&J Tough Pad helped a little while. My son says the Minimed inserter doesn't hurt. We use emla cream though. And he has a low tolerance with pain.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Have you tried cleaning it with some sort of wipe before she takes a bath? I don't know what to suggest - I'm thinking something like an alcohol wipe. I realize that might make it worse - but if there is something on the skin that seems to react to water - maybe cleaning it off with some solution/special cleaner first would help?

6. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I clean it before putting the sensor on but that is it. I use alcohol. I took pictures of her arm as i took the old sensor off. I will post those in a bit. Poor girl. She says it hurts, and it looks like it does.

7. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I decided to put the new site on her bum this time, which I really hate doing due to the poopy diaper issue but I really needed to give her arms a rest. I did put flexifix under the sensor and then another layer over. Fingers crossed that it works! When I took her sensor off her arm today it just looks so red and angry. Here is the picture of it, as well as a picture of the other arm that looked like that a week ago. Our doctor prescribed prescription-strength hydracortizone for it, and it really does work, but poor thing!

ETA: Well, shoot. I can't seem to get the picture function to work. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. selketine

selketine Approved members

Since you mentioned that the rash appears when it makes contact with water - what if you pulled off a sensor and then did nothing to wash or clean that area - for at least awhile (24-48 hours?) and keep an eye on it and see if the rash happens.

I think it would help to rule in or out whether or not bathing (or water contact) is an issue with making the rash appear.

If she can go awhile with no rash - then you know it is something in the water or bathing process stimulating the reaction.