- advertisement -

Web based real-time monitoring?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Budapest, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Hi, It has been a while since we were around CWD.

What brings us back here is: the real-time remote monitoring of our children's pump/CGM.

I think all the technology is there with smartphones, wireless systems like bluetooth and wifi and the existing wireless capabilities of some pump/CGMs like MM pumps. All it would take is a clever app, getting or reverse engineering the CGM's communication protocol and a website.

Anyone knows of efforts to this end?

Can we make this happen together if no one else is doing it?

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

You don't need to intercept the CGM signal - most likely the data is encrypted anyway. You could use a webcam pointed at the CGM screen to webcast the image live to wherever you may be. There are supposed to be some wireless bluetooth webcams coming out soon too...

3. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Interesting, although might be more difficult to arrange while a little kid is in kindergarten or in class, or out in the park for break etc.

4. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

hm.. very cool idea. thanks for sharing.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not sure I see the purpose/point of this. If your child is too young to care for themselves there is likely someone who is managing their care that will communicate with you. If they are older then they would either be doing their own care or are able to communicate with you.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Except when they are asleep. I can't tell you how many times she'll get a high alarm at 100 going up 2 points, I'll give her a little bolus and small basal increase, then an hour later the alarm goes off again and her BG is 180 or 210 and I wished I had known 10 or 20 minutes after the first alarm and could have prevented the rise with another correction 20 minutes after the first, and then I need to stay up another hour or two until BG gets back under 100 and her basal is set right for the night. And I don't want to set the alarm less than an hour apart or I'll get false alarms while the BG is correcting within the normal 1-hour window. Having this would help me greatly to get her set at the right basal for the night without having to check the CGM every 10 or 15 minutes.

Then again, if they could make the CGM alarms smarter (for example, don't alarm high when BG is 120 but falling and it's obvious that a high alarm is pointless), then this would not be so necessary.

I can also see where this would be useful for parents who currently get BG checks sent by text message, etc. The BG level alone doesn't really tell you what to do (if it was 150, do you really correct, because it could be falling... and you don't know if it is falling or rising or how fast) but if you could see the CGM remotely you would know exactly what to do.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Good points.

I don't even use a CGM so I probably should not have commented. :eek: