- advertisement -

We need a new CGM! Suggestions Please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TRICIA4, Jun 9, 2010.

1. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

Our daughter has been on the Freestyle Navigator for nearly 2 years, with much success! Last night we encountered a problem with it, I called Abbott this morning only to find out they are not replacing any receivers or transmitters at this time, and will offer us a refund to purchase a new product from another company. I would love to hear pros and cons on different sensors your children are wearing. She does wear the omnipod, so I am leaning towards the dexcom. I sure hope this process goes smoothly. I'm sure our insurance will have something to say about this! I can't imagine living without a CGM for too long!!! Thanks for your help!

2. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

I love the Dexcom. We just switched from MM after 7 months of unreliable readings, bad sensors, and overall discontent. We've had Dexcom for 3 weeks and have no doubts to its reliability.

Last night was the first issue we had with it. I didn't realize that the sensor was not inserted correctly so I ended up having to throw it away and use another one. It hurts to throw them away! The only plus with MM is that you get a second chance. And, in our experience, that is the ONLY plus with MM. :)

Good luck with your decision!

3. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We switched from the Navigator to the Dexcom and we have been very happy. Dexcom has a 2 hour warmup. After that you can calibrate at any time. The sensors are very comfortable and have a low profile.

Chuck

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

There are several of us (current and former Nav users) who have discussed this on the cgms board. There are some good comparisons over there. The yahoo cgms group also has some good head-to-head comparisons from people who have used both.

I think people who switch generally appreciate the Nav accuracy, range and loud alarms. However they like the shorter start-up time of the other systems, the smaller transmitter, the way the alarms mute, etc.

What struck me in discussions on the yahoo cgms board (mostly adults) was that many said they would bolus off the Nav readings and they never feel comfortable doing so from the Dex or MM. YDMV on that of course.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You might find this thread useful: Link.

We use MM and are very happy with it, but in your shoes, I'd probably go with Dexcom. Integration is very important to us.

Good luck with your decision! :)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use MM as well, very happy with them.. intergration is very important to us as well.

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Actually, we do bolus off the Dexcom, but I appreciate there are many people who don't get that level of accuracy.

Chuck

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Very happy with MM's integrated system.
    Also like the benefit of the stand alone unit.

Good luck with finding what will work for you.