- advertisement -

We have a diagnosis -- middle child (for those who have helped and might be curious)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lisa P., Jul 8, 2010.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

And it's not thyroid, so there goes my career in medical prognostication. But, I'll accept it, because after two years we have an answer.

The neurologist put her on a med, her seeing spots and stomach aches faded out while headaches faded in, now she has no stomach aches at all but has had a three day headache. :(

So he says that clinches it, she's got abdominal migraines, and now we'll see what we can do to help her.

So thank you very, very much for putting up with my insanity. Hopefully, we're an steady ground now and can move forward.

Any suggestions for what nice present I can give the doctor that figured it out?

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

oh man! My friend has a daughter with that, I think she was diagnosed a few years ago. It can get scary when they have a hard time stopping it.

3. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Lisa,
    I am glad you have an answer now. That has to be a relief. Now I hope they can help your daughter to feel better. Good luck!

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I am very glad you have an answer. Hugs and I hope she is feeling better soon!

5. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Lisa,

So glad you found an answer. I have never heard of this. The human body is amazing...and complicated.

Cindy

6. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I have never heard of this, but I am going to bring it up with Sarah's doc next week. We are still chasing our dx. I am so happy that you finally have a dx, hopefully things will only improve from here. :)

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm sorry for the dx, but glad you FINALLY have an answer. How frustrating to not know what is going on.

I hope things get better from now on.

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i'm glad she has a diagnosis. This is the first i've heard of abdominal migranes. Is there medication that can help it ? (i hope so).

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

So glad you have an answer. Hopefully, she will have relief and be back to having fun very soon.

My DD (non-D) suffered from headaches, stomachaches and fatigue for 2 years. Finally, the gastologist dx migraines and also sent her to an allergist. It turned out to be migraines and major allergy issues combined. She is much better now that she is on Claritin and Nasalcort (spray) daily along with a migraine med at night.

As far as a present, I bet the dr would appreciate a gift card to a restaurant.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Thanks, everyone, I'm very glad to have an answer.

I hadn't heard of it either, which probably honestly contributed to my skepticism when the doctor brought it up. I'm crazy enough that I thought he was just calling it this weird thing either to give her a placebo or to get her on an anti-depressant because it was "all in her mind". I was very unfair to the doctor, he said he believed her and I should have believed him.

I actually had found abdominal migraines in my frantic googling a couple days before he brought it up.

Apparently migraines have to do with blood vessels but also very much with neurotransmitters. So all those chemical messages start following each other down the wrong path, and this can show up as stomach aches in young children. Doctor said 95% (?) of your seratonin is in your "gut"? Apparently most kids are diagnosed in retrospect, because as they get older they start getting migraine headaches and they look back and realize what was going on.

The doctor actually thought about it from the beginning, I guess, so if I hadn't been playing musical doctors maybe she'd have felt better months ago. :( But, move on now. . .

There are some medicines, and some natural approaches, we're just looking into it now. So far her medicine, amitryptiline?, got rid of the stomach aches and auras and introduced headaches, but we have now doubled the dose. Also, she was able to take a full dose of tylenol and a full dose of advil and reduce the headache, we'd never found much pain relief for the perpetual stomach aches. So, hopefully. . . ..

Liz, sure hope you find your answer soon. This has taken up so much of our life, trying to live around her pain and deal with school issues with it and try to find an answer, I so hope you can get what you guys need.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am glad you were able to get a diagnosis. I have heard of abdominal migraines. My Sister gets hemiplegic migraines. She ends up with symptoms of a stroke during the aura phase of the migraine. paralyzed on one side, drooling, unable to talk, etc.
    It is pretty scary to watch. Everyone in our family suffers from migraines, but she is the only one with hemiplegic migraines. My heart goes out to anyone who has migraines.

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

The first med they put her on for the migraines was an antihistamine, it made her feel just awful and the symptoms came raging back, and it affected insulin production, so I yanked her off. But since it worked and we'd had some success with limiting foods, I wondered about going to an allergist. I do remember you saying that allergies had caused the stomach aches and I guess our next step is to look at "triggers". Thanks for the reminder, and the suggestion.

13. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Lisa I'm glad you have a diagnosed but sorry she has to suffer. Can they diagnose this with an endoscopy? I was just thinking about a friend of mine. Hope as you move forward with a diagnosis, she feels better.:cwds:

14. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

DD is highly allergic to grasses, pollens, trees, and dust. She is mildly allergic to about 10 foods. The problem (they think) is that if she has a combo of the mildly allergic foods, it adds up to highly allergic. The grasses are the greatest trigger. So we keep her inside if anyone is cutting grass in the neighborhood. The daily Clartin and Nasalcort(a corticosteroid) has helped so much. She is non-D so BG has not been an issue.

15. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

No, I don't think so. It's a nervous system thing, I guess -- we had to see a neurologist to have it confirmed. It's like a biochemical misfire? I think it's one of those "becoming more common but still not necessarily something doctors think about" things, like something else we know. :rolleyes:

The GI doctor we were sent to sent us home saying kids just get stomach aches. He didn't listen to anything we were telling him about frequency, severity, seeing spots, etc. His tests told him no reflux, no celiac, that sort of thing, so he blew her off. So if you know a child with stomach aches and no reason found, I'd definitely see if they've considered it.

I don't think there's a diagnostic test for it, you basically go by symptoms, rule out the rest, then see if the meds help. We never did find anything that could relieve her symptoms for more than a few minutes until they put her on the meds for migraines. Then two different kinds of medicine had a positive effect.

16. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

Lisa - You are a great mom. I just wanted to add that to all the well wishes.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  17. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

So glad you have answers:D
    From my limited knowledge of migraines, vasoconstrictors can help at the onset. I've been told that a dose of caffeine can help when you feel one coming on. But then again, dosing a kid with caffeine, not sure how you'd feel about that one...

I know you will find something that works, your persistence is paying off!!!

PS, you know you can pay for naturopathic visits/treatments through your health savings acct, just won't go towards deductible, but you will get to pay with before tax dollars;)

18. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

My youngest, non-D, daughter was diagnosed with abdominal migraines a little more than a year ago when she was 2. She ends us vomiting about every 10-15 minutes for a couple of hours (it's always early morning hours), sleeps it off, and is fine. Our pediatrician actually diagnosed it, although Google helped me out beforehand too! and put her on Zofran for the vomiting. She only gets it every few months, so she's not on any daily preventative meds. I'm glad you found some answers and hope your daughter is feeling better.

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4

19. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Have you talked with the neurologist about using something like Midrin. You have to take it at the first sign of a migraine. The other drugs like Imitrex you take in the middle not at the onset. We use Midrin for migraines because Imitrex and other like drugs could be fatal for us.
    With Migraines, the blood vessels expand and then contract rapidly causing intense pain. Also I know that they use Topamax as a profalactic for migraines. I have not heard of using antihistamines though.
    I hope you are able to get some answers soon and to find out a solution. I am sending a lot of hugs your way for your daughter and you.

20. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Poor baby! I used to get migraines and "atypical" migraines and could get them in my arm, leg and other random places. Yep it's all related to blood flow apparently.

At the worst, I got them at least weekly, but now I get them maybe once a year if that. I had great luck getting food allergy tested. They'd give me either a tiny shot or put a dropper on my tongue and wait to see what happened.

Turns out I'm allergic to citrus. Here's the kicker though, if I ate and orange, I'd get a migraine - THE NEXT DAY. So, I'd have never figured that one out on my own.

Since I got rid of citrus I so rarely get them.

I'd strongly suggest you find a very good allergist or a homeopath who knows allergy testing and have food sensitivity testing done. Hopefully you can find a trigger and make her feel better soon. :(