- advertisement -

We get use a Navigator for 3 Months. What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysmom, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

I got a call about a study with kids under 5 and CGMs. I'm excited because my doctor told me it was out of the guestion and then apparently recommend us:cwds:.

Anyways I know its a naviator. We are on the ping. And I have to log for 3 months wihtout and then I get 3 months with.

Anyone have any experience with a navigator in a toddler? Any advice. She is tiny and not yet potty trained. We do moslty arm sites with her pump because she says they hurt less. Her A1c has not been great (high 8s and 9s) and my doctor tinks I can do better but honeslty I can't because we cannot safely prebolus for all the snacks she picks up her and there during the day. She wakes up in range 150 or so and then rises to the 300s or more all day because she snack every couple of hours and humolg takes 5 to work in her tiny body. I can correct only once during the day because she grazes all day and I have to be 3 hours from bolus to correct or she will go low. When we prebolus she sometimes goes low before she eats. When we do low carb snacks she sneaks ceareal or such and doesn't tell. Even at night is we eat at 7pm its 12 before she is back in range so its no wonder.

My doctor wants we to turn up her basal to a point were se stays in range and snack before going low. I refuse to do that because its just not safe.

I want to make the most use of the navigator study and come in with great numbers so I can demand a PA for one. If it helps we have no problem buying a CGM of pocket but I think its Rx only item?

Just looking for tips on CGMs

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't have time to post tips - gotta run to a meeting - but my son William uses the Navigator. A lot of us who were using it had broken parts and Abbott couldn't replace it - so they bought us out at $2000 a pop.

Can you answer this - is this a NEW Navigator with the 1 hour start up? Do you have a link to the trial study online anywhere? I'm really curious which Nav you are getting. The only one sold in the USA so far is the 10 hour start up.

We use arm sites for the NAV - and top of the hip for infusion sets. Try the top of the hip if you can - will give you more real estate. We use emla for both sites before insertion - VERY helpful. You just have to make sure to clean the emla off.

Post on the CGMS group too!

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Yeah, the 1 hour or the 2 hour will make a difference to my tips

On the 10-hour startup, the 12-hour calibration is the most important one. It needs to be over 100 but in range. There needs to not be any active insulin or food on board. If we get that calibration right, the rest of the time is perfect. If we mess that one up, it means that we often have to do them every hour or two for the next 6 hours before it will settle down

WE use the arm exclusively for the Navigator

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Might I gently suggest that even at 2 years old, snack can be limited and that they do not need to have carbs all the time. Trust me, I do understand what it is like to have a toddler with diabetes, my son was dx at 15mo old. There is absolutely nothing wrong with breakfast, light snack, lunch, dinner and than light snack. Any more snacking in between can be done with low carb choices. We also used to run the basal higher and then just give snacks as a low would be impending, it worked great. I would take some time and maybe think about some of the suggestions the dr. recommended. Regarding the sneaking food, just put it up where she can not reach it! I am sorry you are going through this and I really do know how frustrating it can be. Good luck with the cgm, we use one for our son and it has been a great help in seeing exactly when and what food we need to do preboluses and such on.

5. selketine

I'm hoping you come back and tell us if you know what Nav you will be trialing - if it is one of the new ones....:)

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would like to know if it is the newer smaller model. Good steady numbers as everyone has said is what we did.

You may or may not have to tape the transmitter from falling off.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I was just thinking she must be going on the New Navigator. Because there are no old parts or old ones yet.
    I would love to get in a study with this...

8. selketine

Well, since she hasn't been back yet we can let our imaginations run wild - LOL! I looked up what clinical studies are being run with the Navigator and couldn't find one like this - or similar - or that seemed to be using the new one. I guess all trials don't go through the clinicaltrials.gov site.

Abbott is making the one hour start version for Europe and Israel - but I think with the same hardware but I'm not sure.