- advertisement -

We came home from hosp last night! :) And a question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chocoholicsc, Aug 20, 2011.

1. chocoholicsc

chocoholicsc Approved members

Christopher is much better and SO happy to be home!
    It turned out that the second site I had put in did in fact kink. When we pulled it out in the hospital it was bent at a 90 degree angle...:(:( What I still don't understand is, the site seemed to work for about the first 12 hours, can anyone explain this?? Could it possibly insert fine and then kink somehow?? That doesn't make sense!
    The big thing I learned is, that anytime bg goes over 250, check keytones!! I know I was told this repeatedly in the beginning, but somewhere along the line I forgot and began thinking that we would only need to check keytones if there was a virus present. So I say this as a reminder to anyone out there like me, with a child who is rarely sick, that prolonged high bg for any reason can and does lead to DKA... :(
    Thank you all so much for your help and sweet thoughts and prayers while he was in the hospital!! I love our cwd family!:cwds:

2. robertsmom

robertsmom Approved members

I am so glad to here he is better now.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This happens to my son fairly often. The site will work fine and then he has some highs that are unexplained. He almost always changes the site after the second high reading.

4. joan

joan Approved members

I am glad he is home and better. I am just curious as to why the endo told you not to change the site.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I'm so glad you guys are home now and he's doing better!

6. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

We have these unexplained site issues once in a while with our son too - he'll have in range numbers through dinner time, start climbing at bedtime and then just go up from there (ended up changing a site at 2:00 am last night:( ) This usually happens when we have a really active day with sports or beach - my problem is I seem to assume the site is fine unless his numbers start climbing immediately, but it seems to happen more gradually.

I'm glad your son is home and doing well now!

Stephanie, mom to Jacob, age 9
    dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm glad you guys are home now.

I don't know about the cannulas, but with our steel sets, if there is any obstacle to absorption, once you correct, the correction bolus does push through this absorption somewhat and you see a bit of a movement in the BG, so you think "Ok, site is ok." However, the absorption problem returns and the basal cannot get through. It's like the bolus has more power to push through any blockage, whereas wimpy basal does not, kwim?

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

8. chocoholicsc

Really?! Wow, I had no idea!

9. chocoholicsc

I do the exact same thing! That's just what happened.

10. chocoholicsc

THIS makes perfect sense!! :) I actually think you are right. When we removed the kinked cannula, it looked like there was a bubble of insulin around the outside of it.

11. chocoholicsc

Haha! :):)

12. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Rule of thumb we use and it seems to work perfectly. Two high numbers in a row, test ketones. If >.6 then almost to a fault it's a site issue (baring no illness), if <.6 then she just needs more insulin so we correct appropriately.

In my opinion, a blood ketone meter is a must with pumping...takes some of the guess work out of it.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Our rule of thumb - anything above 350 we can't explain gets a site change- sometimes maybe the next test if she doesn't come down.

We had kinks all the time with sihls, but we have not had one for over a year with the quick set.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I switched to Sure-Ts after kinking problems with quick-sets and sils. I often used to get kinks several hours (sometimes up to 1-2 days) after insertion. I find Sure-Ts great in that regard. I just don't get 'bad sites' as a matter of course, any more.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad he's better and home. Yes, a site can go in great and kink at anytime after that... if it gets tugged on, or caught on something, it could actually pull out, but the adhesive doesn't give way, causing it to go back down, causing the kink.. everything looks fine because the adhesive didn't rip away.

16. chocoholicsc

We actually began pumping using sure-t's. His preferred sites are his bottom and they began hurting very badly especially when he would fall down,:(. Ever since we switched to quick sets we no longer have that issue, but we traded that for kinking!:cwds:

17. chocoholicsc

Thank you! Well now I know, and hopefully won't make this mistake again! And you're right, from outward appearances, the adhesive and everything looked fine. :cwds:

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I can't remember now, but are there different size needles for the Sure-Ts? I think so. Maybe I'm mixing tubing and needles, hmmm...no, I'm pretty sure there are different size needles. Which size were you using? My son is 7 now, and very skinny (20-21 Kilos now, to give you an idea) and has always worn the site on his tush and it's usually not a problem, unless we hit muscle or something. We pinch a bit of the skin to make sure we do get the fatty part.

19. chocoholicsc

I believe there are different sizes and since Christopher was only 2 years old at the time, I'm sure we were using the smallest ones. If the kinking issue conitnues, we will have to seriously consider going back to the sure-t's.

20. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I don't know if this will help explain how the canula could have been bent but it happened to me with an IV one time. The canula was fine but when I was told to bend my arm I bent the canula at a 90 degree angle this blocking the medication running into my vein.
    By the way, I am glad Christopher is home and doing well. That had to be so scary.