- advertisement -

We are prepping to go on the pump!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PseudoJenn, Jun 29, 2009.

1. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

Wow. I'm impressed that we did not have to wait like we were first told. When DS was initially dx'd they told us most people wait about 6-12mos until they feel comfortable with MDI's.
    I thought that it was a requirement that we had to wait. I started reading and researching on the different Pumps available in Canada and asking people around me that have experience with them. I let the Ped. know last month that we were really interested in getting DS on the pump sooner rather than later. He put our request through to the team and I've been in contact with them the last few weeks!

I got our Pre-Determination papers today from our Insurance company. We don't have the best coverage out there.. but at least it's SOMETHING!
    Cost of a pump is: $6800.00
    Insurance covers 80% OF $5000.00 so that means they'll cover $4000.00
    That's $2800.00 out of our pockets. BLAH. We're doing some yard sales in the next few weeks to try and raise some money towards it and dip into our emergency savings. Afterall, that's why we try to put some money aside for things that come up!

SO.. we go on Thursday to do insertions on ourselves (DH & I will do them) we're not going to do one right away on DS. We're doing "pump school online" before we go as well. I'm ordering the pump this week (we're going with the Medtronic)
    What else do I need to do beforehand? DS spent the weekend at our friends house on a sleep over and he got to see her DD wear her pump, see how you could clip and unclip where it attaches for swimming/bathing, got to see how she didn't need needles for her mealtimes, etc. I think it was a wonderful thing for him to be around another pumper for 24hrs and see what life is like with a pump. :)

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sounds great Jenn. Good for you for being so proactive, that will always help your son to deal with having diabetes is to see how you and your husband deal with it.

3. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Congrats. Sounds like you are well on your way to pumping!

One thing we purchased was a pump belt - kind of like an extremely small fanny pack. We use spibelts a lot (www.spibelt.com) and also fun ones at pumpwear (www.pumpwear.com I think). We got a couple so that we could have extras for when we're doing laundry and need to wash one. I found that my DD likes these much better and it's a little more protected than just having it clipped to a pocket. My 7 yo DS just started pumping on Sunday and he's been wearing the blue camo spibelt or the dog pack from pumpwear. :)

Also, we decided to get something else adhesive-wise to hold the site in. We use the IV prep which comes standard with MM, I think (at least we got it with our first order), but that doesn't hold the sites in very good with swimming and baths. We bought Opsite Flexifix and put that over the site to hold the edges down. We've had great success with that! A friend of ours uses Skintac instead of IV prep and have had success with that, too. I just found that the IV prep alone doesn't hold it well enough.

Good luck! :)