- advertisement -

We are going to Disney

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We are leaving for an 8 day trip to WDW and Universal early Thursday morning. I have researched and read and I think I'm prepared. I am taking double everything that we will need (insulin, test strips, pods etc.) I'm also taking enough syringes that if something goes wrong we could do shots the entire time and I'm bringing Levemir, just in case.

We are having a grocery delivery with lots of juice and yogurt and cheese crackers, all of the things that can help us bring up a low and keep her numbers steady. We'll of course have glucose tablets and smarties as well, those are our go to for lows.

I am prepared to SWAG and I am usually pretty good at it, so I'm okay there.

So now I just want any and all advice about taking a CWD to Disney World :)

We've been before, but not since diagnosis, so things will be slightly more complicated than on previous trips.

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Haven't yet been to Disney with my kids...so my only advice is to have fun!!:):) Sounds like you've planned things well. We've been thinking about Disney for a while ourselves...so I always read these threads with interest.

Have a great time!! Hope D behaves.:cwds:

3. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Take the little glucose tabs and bottles of glucose that you can get at Walmart or the drugstore with you (they are easier to carry than boxes of juice) and take some different sizes of ziplock bags (they come in handy for all sorts of things like keeping stuff dry). I carried a medium cross-body bag with all of the supplies and my cell phone and we were set and ready to go. I also suggest making sure your child has his name, your cell phone number, the fact he is a type 1 diabetic and some smarties somewhere on him...just in case.

4. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I meant "her" not "him". :)

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Sandy is out there (tropical storm) - which totally looks like it would not affect Orlando but worth keeping an eye on just in case. I might take triple supplies (but I usually do - I'm a bad overpacker!).

You may have already looked at the info about getting a Guest Assistance Card - if not you can type those 3 words into the search box on the main CWD site and it comes up with some good info - easier to find than sifting through the boards. At Universal they've given us their "express pass" which was good for going through the express lines of most all the rides - and a card to get signed and a return time for the ones that don't have express (like Harry Potter). YDMV as to whether you need these but FYI. At Universal/IOA you have to leave all of your bags in a locker outside the attraction - and it is easier to have the express just not to be separated from the stuff for so long. If you prefer to remove pumps (if you wear one) for a ride or have to leave your insulin in a locker and stand in line for an hour - not so good. Hopefully your lines will be short - if less than 30 mins you don't need express so much.

Have fun! I hope you are going to do the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - man those are fun!

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Do you even have to leave your purse? Is it for all rides, or just certain ones? Do you know if you can get away with a fanny pack:eek: (stylish:rolleyes:)

7. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

If you are bringing a stroller to Disney, and are planing on keeping supplies in it (mostly insulin), get a sticker from guest services that tags it as a wheelchair. The reason for this is Disney uses Stroller management in their stroller lots and where you park your stroller is not always where it ends up, including getting moved into direct sunlight. If you tag it as a wheelchair, its waiting at the end of the ride and goes right in line with you, has been very nice for our little one on Disney trips. GAC is nice too, makes it easier to redo a ride in you need to get out of line do to lows/rapid drops in sugar.

8. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Yes, we are going to the Halloween Party, Molly is SOOOO excited. She is also super excited for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, she is already at junky a 6 years old. I didn't know that the bags have to be put in a locker for each ride, that makes the pass more worthwhile for sure. I will look into it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. selketine

My experience at Universal isn't as much as at Disney but I think on some of the rides that require lockers they are more strict than others about whether they will allow a fanny pack. We didn't have trouble with his pump belt which is a double spibelt that has on his pump, a Dexcom belt case and another pouch holding an inhaler. Sometimes the bars come down snuggly to the waist so a fanny pack could keep the bar from clicking down enough - maybe turn it to the side?

You'd definitely have to leave a purse.

Also be careful with anything in your pockets on the Harry Potter ride - it tilts you back and things tend to slide out!

10. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Our CWD has been to Disneyland 3 times, WDW and a Disney Cruise since diagnosis. My best advice is check more often than usual.

At DL and WDW we found using Fastpasses to be very advantageous. However, we never found a need to use a GAC.

11. Dan

Dan Approved members

The only thing I would add is get a FRIO Pack for your insulin when you are at the park

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, check, check, check. We have seen some crazy numbers while at DL and WDW.

We have gotten a GAC, but have never had to use it. A good game plan along with fast passes do the trick for us.

I also suggest popping some easy to carry snacks such as protein bars into your bag.

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

That's been my experience as well.

The only time I wanted the GAC was when we were in a dark line (like Space Mountain) or in a cramped, not easily "escaped" line (like Toy Story Midway Mania.) But, if you can get FastPasses for those, you won't have a problem.

Enjoy!

14. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I know this won't be looked on favorably by many, but I just suggest you think twice about getting a guest assistance card unless you need one. I know a lot of people who get them because they can, not because they need them. On top of that, you get people who fake issues that they can get them. In the end, the people who don't have them lose out.

Matt's diabetes is very difficult to control, as exercise of any type (like walking around a theme park) makes him go low. Just today he hit 37! But even with that I can't justify the use of the guest assistance card, as there is no situation where waiting in a line would make it impossible for us to test or treat him. Everything is in the backpack, and we can test/treat on the go.

I have seen some weird reasons for using it in the past, including several people stating that they feel it is their child's right since he or she has to live with diabetes. I never want my child to feel that the world owes him in any way.

If it is absolutely needed for some reason, I say go for it. But if not, I would consider standing in line like the rest of us.

15. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Actually, the Cast Members I've talked to recently won't even accept "Type I Diabetes" as something they can give out a GAC for.

What they are trained to do is listen to your needs and respond with the accommodations a GAC can provide.

In my son's case, the first trip after his dx, he came close to passing out several times from unexpected lows. That's why I found the dark lines and the crowded ones to be dangerous. I was afraid he'd suddenly pass out, injure himself or someone else, and I wouldn't be able to treat him or get him out of there to sit it out until he came up.

When I explained that to the CM, I was given a GAC for "alternate entrances." Luckily, a FastPass did exactly the same thing, so I don't think I'd ever get another GAC, but everyone has their own reasons and needs.

16. selketine

GAC's are offered to the CWD FFL participants when they go in July - they have cast members set up at the conference to talk to the families and hand them out with the appropriate accommodations.

I think this by Laura B. who organizes the conference is a good summary: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/dteam/2006-03/d_0d_dqa.htm

A good touring plan is your best bet - even with a GAC you need it. I like easywdw.com. I used to like Tour Guide Mike (google it) but he doesn't update as much - his advice is very helpful however. I know you are leaving today though so perhaps too late for touring advice and planning to go to parks on their least crowded day.