- advertisement -

We are DexCom-ing! (and a couple of Qs...)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

As of yesterday we are DexCom-ing! Yay! So far, so good. I just have a few questions.

Is it me or does the Dex run low? That is, the readings in the Dex itself seem to be running consistently lower than his actual BG. Not like scary low, but it always seems at least 10 points of difference, always lower.

Could it be the placement of the sensor that is contributing to the low-ish readings? J is stubborn and refuses to wear any pump or sensor on anything but his behind. Currently his pump site is in his butt cheek and his sensor is on his lower back, just above his underwear line, diagonal from his site.

How long does the calibration process take? Should I/he be entering every BG into the Dex every time? Its no biggie, I'm just curious.

So far he is pretty content with it. The sensor insertation went well and he has not complained of it being unconfortable at all. Indeed, as I write this he is sleeping on his back...so it cant be too horriable. He also impressed me by picking up the thing, cold, and knew exactly how to check things and navigate the screens! I love my little tech geek! LOL

2. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Congrats! We've been using the Dexcom for almost 2 months, so we're not experts yet, but I'll try to answer your questions.

I would think that it's a good thing for it to be reading a little lower than actual BG because then it will be more likely to catch a low blood sugar.

We've only used arm sites for the Dexcom and they seem to work well for us.

As far as calibration, we were told that we shouldn't calibrate too often. If the reading is accurate we won't usually calibrate unless it's been almost 12 hours since the last calibration. We will calibrate when the Dexcom is off by more than 15-20 points unless it is moving toward actual BG (like if Dexcom says 140 with arrow up and actual BG is 160) or if we just gave juice/food or insulin.