- advertisement -

We are back home, it was an amazing trip.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BCmom, Aug 17, 2010.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Scotland was wonderful. The people amazing. The cities, towns and scenery lovely. I am so glad we managed to go.

Yes, the diabetes complicated things, and by the end I was zonked ( I was getting up sometimes twice a night to check her sugars because our schedule was so varied). She was up early for breakfast, rehearsals and then up late for performances. At some out of town shows we weren't home till 12:30-1:00am. Yes the sugars were sometimes high (I guess hormones???) and sometimes low but we got through it all.

By the end of our time I became a bit complacent and no longer stayed back stage but then she had two days of lows during rehearsals and so i ended up standing in the wings with juice and snacks again, but the show went on :D.

The time change and insulin change wasn't easy and we had difficulties initially...

But we saw ancient castles, performed in amazing music halls ( even some the Beatles performed in), and little community halls in tiny villages, The kids performed with a Trinidad steel drum band, Senegal dancers, a Russian violin octet, and the National UK youth orchestra. We watched choirs, Hungarian and Ukraine dancers, folk singers from Belaruse and Ireland etc.... It was an amazing opportunity and an amazing experience.

and Em learned that maybe D may complicate things a bit, but life goes on and nothing needs to stop you!:D

2. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

That's fantastic! I'm glad you both had so much fun. You are giving your daughter the greatest gift of not letting D stop her. WTG!

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Glad it all went well.:)

How did things go at the airports D-wise?

4. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Wow! Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Glad you didn't let D get in the way and made it happen.

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Sounds like wonderful memories. Where is the next trip?

6. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

We had no problems in any of the airports D wise. I would just say... she has D and there are syringes, insulin etc... in the bags. They didn't even ask for the doctor note. They just x-rayed everything. And we had to go through security in Seattle, Paris and Aberdeen Scotland there and back.

But I kept getting completely searched in Paris LOL. Myself and one other girl in the group. Both ways!

I found the food schedule on the plane on the way back difficult though.
    They meal schedule just did not mesh with her needs and there was no food available to purchase on board. They would serve special meals first (allergies, vegetarians etc). I didn't order a special meal because their idea of a Diabetic meal is type 2.. all sugar free. So I explained the situation (politely) that my daughter has juvenile insulin dependent diabetes and that she really needed to eat soon. They impatiently said "Did she order a special meal?" I said no she doesn't need special food she just needs to eat at certain times. He was very rude and said " patience, patience she can wait her turn!" He didn't have a clue. I ended up filling her up with crackers and giving her another injection when the meal finally came.

The pump would have been great on the plane.......

No more trips planned for a while! Too expensive!!

I decided not to push