- advertisement -

WDW with D. Lots of Questions.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tena, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Tena

Tena Approved members

I have read the Badshoe's website about going to Disney with D. Great Website BTW! But I have a few questions that I didn't get answers to from their website.

1. Temp Basals or Just eat alot?
    minimal activity tends to cause Em to drop drastically, course on vacation she does tend to run high. I also realize the key is TEST, TEST, TEST. Just wanted to know what others have done.

2. Mid day Breaks?
    Do you take them? We are going the first week of May so we are hoping the weather will cooperate. Not too hot or cool. Plus parks will be closing earlier than summer. We noticed that if she doesn't get plenty of sleep she gets very sick the next day.

3. Unhooking from pump on rides?
    We have heard both ways. What do you do? She will be wearing her pump in a spibelt so she won't completely take it off but she can unhook for roller coasters and such. course we don't ride very many. Just Splash mtn and Thunder Railroad.

4.Leaving the Parks at closing?
    This thought caused me not to get any sleep last night. Usually we are there in the summer and after the fireworks and such it is a madhouse trying to get out of the park. In my mind I have two scenario, Sit near exits, TEST, EAT, and Get out fast ahead of everybody. (The crowd tens to push you toward the exit) or Sit, and wait and leasurely leave at the back of the crowd. I don't know why but this is probably what has me worried the most.

The last time we were at Disney was 2006 about 6 months before DX. Emily was VERY sick the entire time we were there. We almost feel as if that is when D was rearing its ugly head for the first time but we had no idea what it was.

That's all I can think of right now but I am sure I will think of more. Please give me any tips you have .

2. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Let me preface this by saying we haven't been to Disney since dx but have done other amusement parks. Also WDW is a completely different animal then Disneyland. If I understand correctly WDW you plan very strategically like you are going into battle. So I answered with what I would probably do. I am sure others who have btdt will give their opinions.

Have fun. :)

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We've done Disney a couple times since dx.
    I expected to have to lower basals, but thankfully we didn't because she ran high alot (possibly due to excitement, possibly due to guessing wrong on carb counts).
    We don't take a mid-day break. Just us. My dh can't stand to go back to the hotel if the park is open. We decided next time that we aren't going to do the "Extra Magic Hours". They kept us out too late, and they were the busiest times in the park because everyone came in for them.
    We didn't un-hook for any of the rides that we rode, but we don't do the "major" coasters or Tower of Terror. Yes. we're chickens!
    As far as leaving, I made sure we had a snack on us, and we just got in line and tested when we got in line. There was one night that she went low, and I took her to the front of the line and told the driver that I needed to get her back to the resort and why. They had no problem with that.
    Have fun!! We aren't going this year, but hoping to get back next year!!

Forgot to add - we test about every hour, so we can catch a problem before it becomes a problem. Also watch out for those delayed lows in the middle of the night. All that activity and excitement can catch up with them later.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We would have done temp basals if we needed them but both of our trips with Emma on a pump, we haven't needed them. Numbers are more unpredictable with eating food we don't know, but we just tested a low. We had a decent number of overnight lows to treat.

We never unhooked on a ride. You only need to on roller coasters with magnetic launches, which is the Rockin Roller Coaster. Emma rode Thunder Mountain over and over without a problem.

We have taken mid-day breaks before but we have had a stroller for Emma and would try to get her to rest in the stroller. If we were doing a late night (EMH or Christmas party), we would probably go back for a couple of hours.

End of park hours - we have left in the middle of everyone and before. We just treat it like normal. If its time to check, we check. If she's low, we treat with juice. Nothing different than if I was standing in the middle of the park in the middle of the day. We don't like crowds so we try to get ahead of them or hold back and wait, but other than that, we did nothing different on our trip than we would have otherwise. Emma's been twice since diagnosis and being put on the pump

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I would probably move in to WDW if they had that option.;)

The only rides I have concerns over is Mission Space and ToT and perhaps RnRC. William has ridden MS but my husband kept his pump - I have no idea if it uses magnetic forces. I would disconnect him if he does ToT but it is my understand this ride does not have a magnetic issue. RnRC has some use of magnets but I've never seen anyone report a problem with their pump on it.

Because of their age difference I can't speak to the temp basal thing - his activity level and the heat definitely has an affect but sometimes we have high days instead of lows ones.

I *highly* recommend Tour Guide Mike for a touring plan: http://www.tourguidemike.com That will keep you out of any crowds. His "best days" charts on what parks are least crowded on specific days is extremely helpful. We have used a Guest Assistance Card sometimes - especially in hot and crowded park times. Hopefully you will have neither! We went once in early May and it was beautiful! Not hot yet at all (but it could always turn hot - you have to be prepared with shorts and sweatshirts both! It got so cold one night that folks were buying out all the beach towels to cover their kids strollers with or wrap up with while waiting for fireworks - LOL!).

Have fun!

6. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Sounds like a fun trip! We did WDW 1.5 years ago so before Hanna was pumping but here is what we did:

1. Temp Basals or Just eat alot? We gave her the usual dose for the day and then gave corrections with humalog for extra snacks and things we did. We did find we had to scale WAY back on her night time NPH because she was SO active during the day, so my guess would be if we went now we'd need to watch for lows and possibly lower her basal.

2. Mid day Breaks? Do you take them? Absolutely. No way we'd make it without but that's due to the ages of our kids. ;) We found we really enjoyed our evenings more when we had a break. The only day we didn't take a break was when we did Animal Kingdom. It closed so early in the winter and it was the furthest away from our resort so we stuck around until 5pm and called it an early night.

3. Unhooking from pump on rides? I've heard both ways too. I'm not sure how we would do this as Hanna wears a Spibelt too but her sites are typically in her rear or her hip making it tricky to access while boarding a ride! I think I'd have to do a little more research about her specific favorite rides to feel comfortable with her staying connected but I'm leaning towards that.

4.Leaving the Parks at closing? Honestly, we didn't have any trouble with this at all! Even the night we did the Very merry Christmas party, sure it was crowded but we all got out ok. We just kept her backpack handy and tested or snacked as needed.

7. Tena

Tena Approved members

Thank you so much for all of the replies! We have not been back to Disney since D but have been to Branson. She went to Silver Dollar City. No real Problems there even with all the hills you have to climb. Course she was running high. Probably due to altitude from what I am told.

I am hoping this trip goes smooth. Normally I am a huge planner regarding our trips to Disney but this time I am focusing mostly on planning for D episodes than anything else.

What about carb counting? How did you do it? Just use calorie King? Em is mainly a chicken tender/french fry girl so I figured I would just use carb factors for that. Anyone else have anything to share?

I want this to be a great trip for Emily. We are celebrating her graduating from high school (homeschool) one year early. This is her graduation gift from us. An all girls trip!

8. Tena

Tena Approved members

Sorry! 2 posts in a row. Another question?

Insulin? Do you take it to the parks or are you comfortable leaving it in the resort room and getting to it in time if needed. Just taking a syringe Just In Case?

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We went to WDW a year ago in December. We unhooked for the big rollar coasters and I didn't take his pump on rockin rollar coaster. We did the baby swap thing and I rode with the kids and then my husband rode with them.

I carried a backpack with juice, extra snacks, syringe, etc. I figure I could always pull insulin out of the pump if I needed too. Also we had two meters, one in my backpack and my son wore a small fannypak with meter, strips, and glucose tabs so that if he rode with my dh, they would have access to a meter if the ride broke down or we split up for a ride or two. Plus I liked have a backup so we wouldn't have to interrupt our day.

We just estimated using the calorie king and I thought there was some info on badshoe's website too.

I hope you have a great trip!

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I've been twice with her on a pump and haven't taken insulin. We can't withdraw insulin from an Animas cartridge with a syringe. I take an infusion set to do a site change so the only time we'd really need to get the insulin is for a complete pump failure

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I had a post back in November about our last trip to WDW. We had been there many times before. This last trip we ate some of their snacks (high fat) instead of the prepackaged ones that I brought along. Had to guess at carbs. That combined with more walking and trying to keep it 'tight' on the new CGM made the perfect storm. I ended up using the glugagon (mini-dose) shortly after getting back to the room. I'm lucky that we didn't need it before. I would not go into the park without carrying a glucagon with me next time just in case. I also carry extra sets for the pump. Two meters etc.

12. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Why so much worry about what time to leave ?

13. Tena

Tena Approved members

I just know how fast the crowds travel to the exits. You just seem to get carried along, or push and shoved along. My actual worry was the speed at which she would be walking as she tends to drop pretty rapidly after any activity.

Thanks Again for all the tips. I will take as many as I can get.

14. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

She's right, it can be a real madhouse. We've been 3 times before, just without D. We usually run to the bus stop, that's why the concern, because I drop like a rock and she's afraid I might get low and not be able to stop and get to my meter.

15. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Mrs badshoe here. Glad you liked the site.

We take mid day breaks when the kids were younger now that they are older we tend to just do what ever and head back when we want.

We have temp basals sometimes and sometimes the kids just eat alot...LOL I think we temp the basals lower most of the time though.

Connor is the rollercoaster tycoon in the family and he has never unhooked for any of them and has riden RnR about 3 times straight and Mission Space he has done twice in a row. Do what you feel comfortable doing. We personally have never had an ill effects to the pump

It can be a made house but the crowds seem to be down due to the economy. It's never been so bad that if in trouble we couldn't find a doorway or side hallway to duck into to get out the path and test if needed.

Have fun. We didnt' go this spring break so I'm counting the days until FFL.

16. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

FYI

First Aid will also hold and refrigerate insulin for you. We used to leave it there when my son was on Humalin NPH/Humalog. It was also a nice clean place to draw up insulin and administer.

17. selketine

selketine Approved members

I've been twice in spring break (and often pushing a stroller) and the exit crowds were fine. It is nice to hang back if you have the time and no early morning wake-up planned the next day. We often take advantage of the fireworks and shows to do some rides without long waits then try to head out before it ends.;)

First Aid has also stored a set change for us and we came back in the evening to change the set in a private room. They were awesome. We don't bring the insulin - just a syringe in case of total pump failure and that would be enough until we could get back to the room. You could always take a cab back in an emergency. You can get a back-up pump from your pump supplier in case yours fails. I recommend that especially if you plan to swim with it on and it hasn't been in the water recently. I can remember if you have a waterproof one though, or not.

18. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Not sure what pump you use, but on our last trip to Disney we contacted Animas and got a loaner pump in case of emergency. We just left it in the hotel safe, but it was nice to know that if we had experienced a pump failure it was there.

19. Tena

Tena Approved members

Emily uses a MM522. The last time we went out of state I called Minimed about a loaner and they told me they do not loan out pumps because they would be able to ship one overnight to where ever we are. I would feel better having one but we will just be careful.

Thank you Mrs. Badshoe, I was hoping you would chime in. The more Em and I talk about it, we will probably try temp basals first as she is really not a big snacker and she said she doesnt want to have to be constantly eating all the time.

I think we are going to "play a lot by ear" and just see how she does and go with it. I am worried about nighttime lows.

20. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Not to scare you, but don't forget the glucagon!! Bring lots of extras of everything, and get extra prescriptions and a travel letter from your endo.