- advertisement -

Way OT: Cursive writing in school ?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

At my sons school they have the kids learn cursive writing in 3rd grade. By 5th grade they are expected to do all writing in cursive. My son is 6th grade has told me that if all spelling words are not written in cursive they will be marked wrong, even if the spelling is correct. Im just wondering if other schools are still teaching cursive and insisting that all writing be done in cursive in the later grades.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My daughter started in 3rd grade, but they don't have to write in cursive outside of those lessons. That seems like more work for the teachers to have to decipher everyone's writing.

3. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

Becky,

I just looked this up in the state standards for Ohio. Best I can tell (I don't teach English/Language Arts so I'm not really familiar with these) is that it is a 3rd grade benchmark here that students will "write legibly in cursive, spacing letters, words, and sentences appropriately". At our school, we introduce cursive writing in the 2nd grade, probably to be able to have it mastered by the end of the 3rd. There are no writing benchmarks after the 4th grade, but I believe it is pretty common to expect that kids will write, not print, from that point on. Not that it will be a requirement from every single teacher he has, but that will probably be the norm. Hope this helps!

4. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Em attends a private Christain school and they started with cursive in Kindergarten. She is in 4th now and has always been required to write in cursive. BTW-she does know how to print. They learned printing in preschool and then again in 1st grade in addition to cursive. They are also graded on handwriting up until 5th which I am not a huge fan of. Although I agree that by practicing handwriting can improve, I really think it is one of those things that you either have the talent for beautiful handwriting or you don't.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This does help, thank you Brett. I was reading in Readers digest probably a couple years ago that there is some cursive writing on SATs so I guess its a good idea for kids to learn it but the teachers fully expect that most reports will be done on the computer. When I was in school we did learn cursive but of course not a keyboard until high school and that was an elective class. Now kids have to learn the keyboard in 4th grade here

6. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi learned in 2nd grade and by the time they learned all their letters they required them to do ALL their work in cursive.

7. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

In Georgia cursive writing is no longer a mandatory to be taught. Some teachers do teach it other do not. When my 6th grader went to Middle School this year her english teacher demands that everything be in cursive and takes marks off. My daughter does not know cursive and gets the marks taken off. I should fight this but I have four children and I am fighting the school on two children right now with other problems. I will eventually get to this fight but I just had to let her get the marks taken off this year. Not fair but I am only one person.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Similiar here. Once you learn the letter, you are required to incorporate that into what you're writing in school. For example, Apple. They know a & e, so they are written in cursive but the rest in printing, screwy, but the kids don't seem to have an issue.

9. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Kathy learned cursive in 3rd grade and had to do her english homework and any reports in cursive. Now in 4th grade, everything is in cursive. And yes, she gets 1/2 a point off if the answer is not written in cursive

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

Wow.

Here there is no focus on cursive at all. I was really surprised. My 7th grader barely knows it and there seems to be no requirement to ever use it. They spent very little time learning it.

His handwriting (printing) is terrible. He is absolutely destined to be a doctor in that respect.:p

If he had a teacher that forced him to write in cursive I think he'd have to relearn it....

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

FWIW, my girls started learning cursive writing in 2nd grade and have continued this year in 3rd. They are encouraged to use cursive writing when they can. It is not mandatory.

My 5th grader prints more than cursive because it is more legible. Marks are not deducted.

My 7th grader uses the computer most of the time for reports, projects, essays etc. The teachers encourage it (I believe because it makes it easier for them to read).

I believe because of computers that actually writing something is going to become "old school" (pardon the pun). :p

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my oldest DD is working on cursive now in 2nd grade.. they started right after the holiday break.. they continue through third.. I don't know when they are required to write it all the time though.

13. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

I think it is taught here in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I hope it is not something they have to do. Heck I do not write in cursive when I write things.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

My oldest son also went to a private Christian school and had this same experience. He had pages and pages and pages of writing to do. It was crazy! I also never believed in being graded on handwriting, although his grades were never an issue because he wrote beautifully. He is now a freshman in high school and his handwriting is, well.... let's just say not the best! ;) Now Cameron had a totally different experience in a different school. They didn't even touch cursive until 4th grade and his print and cursive are both beautiful! :rolleyes: Go figure! I personally never got wrapped up in any of it because most people these days type anyway! ;)

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My kids started cursive as it was required in 1st grade. Abeka DVD school. Pensacola Christian in Florida. Through the years he has continued to do cursive(required). He went to private school this year in 7th and he says none of the kids can read cursive??:confused: I guess that will make Declaration of Independence hard to read?:rolleyes:

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is how it is in Maine also. All assignments are done on the computer, they rarely write anything out.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I learned cursive in year 2.. Not sure what that is in grade terms. I was 5-6 because of being moved up a year, but most people would have been 6-7. Anyway, I don't write in cursive. Printing is so much more reader-friendly and just looks nicer IMO. Where my cousin went to school in France there was huge emphasis on (cursive) handwriting, and hers is beautiful.

18. kajumom

kajumom Approved members

My girls do an online charter school so all work is done on the computer except for journal writing. It is not asked to be done in cursive by my 5th grader. (She learned in in private school 3-4 grade). My 2nd-3rd grade is interested in it and prints her own sheets to practice but there is no (public school) online school requirement they give for cursive. I have been concerned about handwriting b/c it is not done at all. Just emphasis on punctuation and grammar, sentence structure etc. in journal. Hhhmmm. My 5th grader gets so lazy, she tries to cheat and use our learning challenged 15 year old's dragon naturally speaking so she doesn't have to type! Keeping a close eye on that one!

19. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Same here.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in our school district. Our kids do not know how to write in script. When my children sign their names, it looks like a toddler did it.

It kills me. We are one of the top school districts and our kids can not write cursive:mad:

20. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Cursive writing is included in the Indiana state standards.

I teach fourth grade. They learn it in third grade in our district. I personally do not require it because, well, I think they should know how to do it but not have to use it. Therefore, I let them review and practice most of the year. About now is when I prefer to see them use it more because fifth and sixth grade teachers expect them to know it and some teachers do require it.