- advertisement -

Waterproof product for Dexcom Receiver???

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by MyAngelEmma, May 18, 2010.

1. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We are getting ready for a trip to the mountains and I need some help with something. We?re renting a cabin right on the river so there will be days filled with tubing, kayaking and swimming. We use the Dexcom 7 for Emma and have no problems with her sensors sticking when she swims 3-4 days a week for swim team practice but we don?t use the CGM while she is in the pool since the receiver isn?t waterproof. It?s not a big deal since she's only in the pool an hour to an hour and half at a time but when on vacation I am sure she will be in and out of the river all day. I hate to give up the Dex for all 5 days.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any type of waterproof product like some sort of bag that is air tight that we could put the Dex in and she could wear it in her spibelt or put it in the pocket of her shorts when in the water? I have seen some things on line but just don?t know which products to trust. I would hate to buy something that didn't work and then have to dish out $300 for a new receiver. What do others do in situations like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

Spibelt actually sells a belt with a waterproof pouch. It works really well - survived multiple days at the waterpark and the Dex stayed totally dry.

3. MyAngelEmma

Thanks! I had thought about that but for some reason I thought theirs was water resistant and not waterproof so I was hesitant to try it. BUT if you used it with no problem I will give it a try. Was it completely submerged in water at the park?

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'd want something very secure for the pump too - if she is going to wear it into the lake or river - some place where if it comes detached that it could sink and be lost.

Aquapac is probably the most well known brand of waterproof cases but I've not tried one: http://www.aquapac.net/

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

Yes, it got completely submerged - many times. It is basically like a ziploc so you just have to make sure that it really is sealed. It has some wording on it ...
    "Tested and approved by the Navy Experimental Diving Unit". I think it is the same as this... http://www.loksak.com

We were able to fit both the pump and the receiver in the Spibelt (only the receiver was in the waterproof bag since the pump is waterproof already). It was a tight squeeze, but it worked.

6. MyAngelEmma

Yea, I don't want to have to replace the pump either!:eek:

I think I will just have her wear her dual spibelt with pump and the dexcom.

Great!

I went to the spibelt site and see they sell the waterproof bag by itself for something like $7.95. I think I will order one of these since and just use it with her dual spibelt that she already has rather than by a new spibelt. I think we have like 5 already so if we could just use the waterproof bag inside one we already have I think that would be the best way to go. Thanks again for suggesting it!

7. Diana

Diana Approved members

I will say that the nice thing about buying the Spibelt with the waterproof pouch is that the pouch then comes with a clip that keeps it clipped to the inside of the Spibelt (so if you accidentally drop a slippery receiver it is not going to float down river). I'm not sure it is worth a whole new Spibelt, but it is a feature I like, so I thought I would mention it.

8. MyAngelEmma

Oh, I okay. Is the clip something seperate that maybe they could perhaps send me if I request it or is it part of the spibelt?

9. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

10. Diana

Diana Approved members

The clip looks the same as the Race Number Toggles on the Spibelt website, and you just hook it onto a loop that is sewn inside the Spibelt.

I can't tell for sure, but from the picture of the Loksak on the Spibelt site, it looks like you might be able to punch your own hole in the bottom right corner.

Like I said, it's a nice feature - but it's probably not worth the extra money just to get a little loop sewn inside the belt :) When we bought ours, they did not sell the waterproof bags separately.

11. MyAngelEmma

Thanks, Diana. I really appreciate you answering all my questions. I am going to give Spibelt a call tomorrow and see what we can do for us.

12. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

I haven't tried this, but I once read a blog where a man swimming with the Dex placed the receiver inside several zip-loc sandwich bags, sealing each inside the other.

Chuck

13. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

We have used snack size ziplock bags for basic water play in the back yard, like squirt gun fights, playing in mud puddles etc. Usually a double layer of them to be safe.

Haven't ever let it get "submerged" in them though.