- advertisement -

Waterpark access denied with omnipod??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dzirbel, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue with being denied access to rides at waterparks. We personally have not. My daughter has the omnipod and wears it on her belly with a 2 piece so it's highly visible.

My friend is at Splash Zone and they would not let her daughter ride the waterslide (with a pod on her belly) because they have a "no plastic" rule. She spoke with the manager and CEO and they said no way.

2. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

Wow that is crazy!

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I don't really buy their excuse, but would be concerned about the pod getting torn off on a slide. Maybe that was their real concern. "No plastic" is quite lame unless they put so much chlorine in the water that it dissolves plastic! Be interesting to see if anyone else has had this happen.

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

I haven't heard that excuse before. That almost seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen for them.

5. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Yeah I was wondering if there was any kind of recourse for them as far as providing info to the waterpark. Or do they have full rights to deny them, perhaps because of insurance reasons.

My daughter wears an Omnipod and we've never had any issues at Disney or at King's Island Soak City.

6. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I did a quick Google search and saw that most parks restrict plastics because they could break on the ride and damage it.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not stupid.

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Not that anyone should have to hide that they have a pump, but when we went to the water park, my son was a little embarrassed that his site was showing, so he just wore a water shirt.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So do they restrict plastic swim goggles too?

9. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

My friend said everything needs to be out, including piercings. Someone said, what about braces?! Their response when called was so that nothing scratches their slides!:eek:

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think this is a no brainer. You are covered under the Americans with Diabilities Act. It is an insulin pump that is necessary for survival.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

You can leave a comment for them on their Facebook page. Splash Zone Waterpark.

12. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

I left a comment and I included a comment about how accomidating Schliterbahn KC was when we went last weekend. They were totally awesome they even resecured Jared's pod and Dexcom for us with Coban because we forgot ours. I just asked if they had and tape and she said they had something that would work better. They also keep his supplies for us at the first aid station in the ac. They said they actually had someone lose a pod in the pool and one of the life guards found it and thought it was a might be a bomb:eek::rolleyes:

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

I think that the pod covered in tape or with an arm band could not possibly scratch their slide. What is the slide made of that is so delicate?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. caspi

caspi Approved members

Quite frankly, the bottom line is that the pod is not some kind of vanity item that can be removed, like earrings, etc. It is medically necessary and they cannot tell anyone to remove it. Period.

15. sooz

sooz Approved members

The sad thing is though they do it! I hope someone sues them so they will get a major wake up call! Plus, I think it is horrible they are making people pay to get in THEN saying you can go swimming but not down the slides. Can you imagine if a kid went with a group of non D kids and this was the message he got? Horrible!

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The facts of the situation are sketchy to say the least. No point, imho, in getting all in a twist without knowing what really happened.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

To Sarah's point, we don't know the details. Did they actually tell them to remove it? Did the person involed discuss the AwDA with the owner? Did the person offer to cover the pod so it would not damage the slide? A lot of unanswered questions.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm no civil rights expert, but my gut feeling is that if they could show that a Pod could actually damage their slides, they would be within their rights to forbid someone wearing a Pod from using the slide.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes it is a safety issue not a medical needs issue.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

Forbid them from using the slide for risk of damage, I understand. But telling them to remove it is ridiculous. But I agree with PP that we don't know all the facts of the case.