- advertisement -

Washington Post online tool to predict what the changes mean for your family

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by Lisa P., Mar 28, 2010.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

Thanks Lisa. Although it doesn't give a lot of information, it does help!

3. KHM

KHM Approved members

That's a little presumptuous, I think. Supporters of health care reform don't all worship the newsprint of the Washington Post. Categorizing and labeling people so tags can be assigned to them en masse will only make things worse for everybody; derail consensus building rather than foster finding the common ground. Individuals who think alike choose their media for all kinds of reasons that may not be the same.

That said, I think your situation is exactly what legislators did NOT intend and I hope you'll find an advocacy group that will advance your concerns. Perhaps what will happen now is that legislators, wonks and advocates will all get a good look at what their work has produced and begin to fill in gaps.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

YIIIII!!!!!
    :(

Other threads have bandied back and forth about what sources are acceptable. I'm a known conservative, so what I meant was that the Washington Post is to me a liberal leaning newspaper so I'm assuming no one will think it's a conservative leaning newspaper, so I'm free to post this without seeming to be pushing a right wing agenda from a right wing source.

I don't think it was supposed to be snarky or divisive, but a sincere attempt to put something out there with straight info that both sides could see. Yes, I think it strengthens my "position" but I'm sure it's very possible that it could strengthen the "position" of someone who disagrees with me, too.

I thought it was useful.

Anyone not like it, no skin off my nose. I didn't write it, you won't hurt my feelings. . . .

5. KHM

KHM Approved members

I did read this as divisive and critical of both readers of the WaPo and supporters of Health Care Reform. I'm not sure what other purpose it could serve except to say, "hey you guys who wanted this reform? When I use projections produced by media on your side of the issue, I get this crappy result so what do you have to say now?" If I'm wrong about what you meant, then I confess that I'm still a little unclear about that.

I don't think anyone who supports health care reform wants to see any American struggling to afford health care; I don't. In fact, what annoys me more than anything is that we never talk about actual health care costs, we only talk about insurance coverage. You don't have to think very much about why that is to understand where the real problems are.

I didn't/don't intend to start flame wars so I'll hush up. In general, there's a trend in all political discussions these days to vilify or ridicule those who don't agree with one's own position...that's not really democratic and I'm sorry every time it appears to be happening.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Did you go to the link? I don't think it's what you think it is.

I wrote a big, tired, discouraged reply but then someone did something very kind for me -- someone that I think might seriously disagree with me on a number of things but was still just plain smack dab compassionate. Thank you to that person that I will not name. I like to think there's a little of that in all of us -- argue like spit all day long, but once you see the other person beaten down you jump in to pick them up.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It says for us, we won't pay anything extra.. we have insurance through my DH's work (even though he's not actually working right now.. but he does have to 'earn' his insurance with working so many hours.)

If your insurance is provided through your employer, or you have insurance now, there shouldn't be much, if any change.

We pay NOTHING for our insurance.. But, I'm curious, for those that DO pay on a weekly bases for their insurance coverage through their employer how much they pay.. maybe we can do a poll so people don't have to answer directly.

edited to add: I just added a bunch of different senerios into the link above, no one will have tax increase until you get over 251K a year, and then it goes up by a tier in percents.. That, of course, is according to the link above.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  8. Toni

Toni Banned

You said your State plan was very good and you would like to go on that. Were afraid this bill will change that. I think you are wrong. Can't you just go on your State plan? If not, if I were in your position, I would still go on Medicaid. Medicaid does not pay ENOUGH when it comes to certain items: such as strips. I would use Medicaid for the buik of my medical expenses and pay out of pocket for what they don't cover (and they cover quite a bit). Makes no sense to pay out of pocket for everything. Not at all necessary to pay out of pocket for everything. P.S. Thanks for the link. If this is an accurate tool, then of course it is very useful. Did not bother to use it myself. Nothing in our household will change as a result of this bill. Did not peruse Sis's new insurance, but I already believe it is not as good as Universal as far as cgms goes. Getting prepared for the fighting for strips battle, etc. I would like to get her on the State's child health care plus program also but we don't qualify.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  9. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

The online tool will give different results for each person depending on his or her situation.

For our situation, what I said is accurate.

The state program is not an assistance program for low income kids. It was a program specifically for individuals not eligible for private insurance due to a pre-existing condition. We therefore, de facto, do not qualify anymore. I will still try to slip in under the wire, and I supposed they could rewrite the program, but I don't know why they would.

That avenue is closed for us.

We are now at low (pretty close to no) income because we are starting a business that is not earning money yet. Hopefully that will change. But we had enough in savings to hold us over for a bit while we got it running. We had insurance options we could afford without going on Medicaid.

With the new law, we will probably not be able to afford private insurance (this is contingent on the assumption that prices will go up drastically). We will have the choice to get a full time job with benefits and stay chained to that or go on Medicaid. I'm not sure if we can simply pay regular expenses out of pocket and rely on Medicaid only for emergencies or not. I don't think we can.

I've always had the option to go on Medicaid.

We also own our home, a doublewide trailer in a depressed area of the country. So if Toni is right, we will be forced to use Medicaid but we will also have a lien placed on our home.

In previous threads I never got past my objection to using Medicaid because it is a poor product to express that, no, even if it were a perfect product delivered for free I would avoid it if possible. I believe Medicaid is an honorable option for those who need it -- laid off from work, can't work because of disability, etc. But it is not supposed to be there so someone else can pay my medical bills while we start a business. Because we are low income out of choice, not tragedy, I would have moral scruples about using it unnecessarily. I don't know where I will go if it becomes unavoidable under a new system. I might say that because it is not our fault the system has changed, we are morally free to use assistance. I might say that we will have to go back to working for a corporation until we have saved enough money to try again without assistance.

In any case, I am dejected that these are my options. Wish they'd just left us alone.

But the online tool may come up with brighter answers for other people.

10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

*snort*

Im skrewed. :rolleyes:

nice link

11. Toni

Toni Banned

Okay, I hear you now. Nope, you do not want to go on Medicaid. Don't do it. They will spend down your assets. Colorado state insurance is different than New York. We have Healthy Adult, meaning anyone earning less than $20,000 a year qualfies. I know you probably early more than $20,000 a year but if you have your own business..... I would try very hard to get in under the wire. For your daughter, there must be insurance if you don't have insurance, once the preexisting clause is truly lifted? Child Health Care Plus NY, no matter how much you make, you can get on the insurance but ONLY if your job does not offer you insurance. And you have to buy COBRA for as long as you are elibigle (18 months) I think. And payment is more per month depending on income.