- advertisement -

Warren Retreivers/Guardian Angel and DAD's

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zakksmom, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know about the 5-10 mile thing, but I've read claims of 100% accuracy right here on this board.

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I've heard ppl say that their dog was always accurate when it alerted but that it may sometimes miss an alert, not false alerts but rather not alerting when it was supposed too. that can happen if a dog is especially tired or stuffed up or not feeling well or if you have to step up training.

Either way, a dog had better poop gold nuggets for me to pay 20K!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Right, and that's provable. But I have heard people say that their dog has never missed a high nor a low, and not only is that almost certainly not true, it's virtually impossible to prove.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I suspect there's a HUGE amount of confirmation bias and more than a toiuch of cognitive dissonance going on there.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

And clean my house and do my grocery shopping! :p

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

For $24,000 I can buy 9.2 years worth of sensors for my kid's CGM with no dog to train, feed and look after and no requirement to test to confirm an alert if I have a good sensor ... I'm going to stick to dogs for companionship - just sayin ... This guy sounds like a complete conman.

7. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

So I clicked on this link and read her info, which is good advise. Then on the side I see she has a "paws for Sarah" link, I clicked on it and it's for her daughter's DAD page. She is raising money for her DAD from Canine Hope for Diabetics. If you click on it, it takes you to their website, then below their name it says....formerly Guardian Angel Diabetic Alert Dogs. Is this yet another company name by the same people?????

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, I have absolutely no clue. I just came across her blog on another site and thought the information could be useful to those that might be interested in DAD's. I am more in the CGMS camp myself - the one dog I have is enough to take care of. ;)

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Closer to 12 years if the sensors last 1 week. And the dog doesn't go to school with the child but the CGM does.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

And CGMs don't need to be fed... ;)

11. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Actually, if you check out diabetesalertdog.com's FB page, you will find that some D.A.D.'s do go to school. (I think they showed pics in August.)

If you are going to get a dog anyway (most people do-at least here in the U.S.), then why not have it be trained to be an extra layer of protection your CWD? You would have to pay for food and upkeep of ANY pet.

My DD is terrified of CGM, but would love a dog to go with her 24/7!

We looked into it, but decided that right now is just not a good time for us to acquire ANY dog. Plus, I am wary of all the scamming that goes on, and we do NOT have the time to scent- or public access- train our own dog. I realize that there is always some training involved, but we need most of it to be in place, already.

And, of course, cost is a factor. We had a non-profit near us that was giving away free D.A.D.'s to qualified individuals, but they had to stop, due to lack of funding. Now they charge a lot of $$$ for I think what totals 6 days of classes that they claim will teach you how to train your own D.A.D. But, I can't imagine how that could possibly be enough training to teach an amateur to produce a well-trained service dog. Sorry, but THAT sounds like a scam, too!

So, we'll wait, and see what time will tell.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog.

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I believe Warren Retrievers is based in Virginia (yes, Caspi?) and the link in the blog goes to an outfit based in California.

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

I believe, from looking at the original link, that Warren Retrievers, et al. is based in Virginia.

15. Mcolon21

Mcolon21 New Member

warren

Everything u need to know about this scam company is now public. Facebook.com/bad.DADs.out. including his crazy contract

16. Sarahsmom

Sarahsmom Approved members

Hey there. I just saw this and thought I'd answer the question. Tightrope Tango is my blog. Canine Hope for Diabetics is not at all affiliated with Guardian Angel Service Dogs. They just happened to choose similar names, but are working on changing it. Anyway, we were fundraising for a dog for Sarah, but have finished that. Canine Hope for Diabetics is training a fully trained (finished) service dog for Sarah. He will be about 20 months old when he comes to live with us.

17. Sarahsmom

Sarahsmom Approved members

FYI, we were totally in the CGM camp a year ago. Then my daughter developed a metal allergy to the Dexcom sensor and can't wear it at all because she gets hives from head to toe. That's when we really began looking into alert dogs. An alert dog is simply another tool, but obvious one that is not right for everyone. :)

18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

How are employers going to react when she walks in to an interview with a dog in toe that ostensibly she needs to prevent a major medical crisis and sustain her living? The public?s perception is going to be that they are dealing with an unwell / ill / fragile person.

I am not necessarily talking about her long-term career, but just part time retail or restaurant jobs, which are a normal part of adolescence for many teens.

What if her career goal is to become a surgeon or a scrub nurse having an alert dog will not fit with that career path it just is not aseptic. It won't fit with a lot of medical professions because hospitals could say that not having a large dog in toe is a bonafide job requirement. Say you were a nurse on the code team ? if you have ever seen what happens when they call a code blue and the code team enters the room you will know that a dog just won?t fit into that scenario.

A lot of employers are going to just not hire the person and justify it on the grounds that they hired a more qualified applicant. In reality, the thought of the constant presence of the dog and the red tape it will entail will be a major motivator.

( Keep in mind that yes I realize it is wrong to discriminate and judge. )

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Also, not saying this applies to you but there seems to be a certain subset of the DAD boosters / users who thrive on the negative attention having the DAD gets them more than anything else.

Sorry, but presenting yourself or your child as needing to have a dog with them 24/7 least you die a horrible horrible death tends to gain negative attention.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

My daughter also can not wear a CGM due to a metal allergy. We also have a standard poodle that will bug her when she is low; however, I know she would not be comfortable bringing the dog to school and such. She thinks it is neat when Max alerts her to a low; but not neat enough to want her dog attache to her all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.