- advertisement -

Warning for kids doing projects on the candidates

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Lisa P., Jan 17, 2012.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I have just done a brief search and what you say is absolutely true. The attack on Santorum is intentional and malicious.

Wiki states:

"In September 2011 Santorum asked Google to remove the definition from its search engine index. In response, Google said that the company does not remove content from search results except in very limited circumstances.[4]"

The only problem with that is that Google's official policy is to restrict hate speech. Apparently Google restricts hate speech in a decidedly biased manner since this is allowed to stand while much far less objectionable content is restricted despite upcoming court cases.

It is scary that Google accounts for the majority of all internet searches and it is manipulating what we see. I think it is time that we have some diversity in our choice of internet search engines.

Again according to Wiki Google lists the number of excluded search results at the bottom of the page. I did a search on what I guessed would be a controversial and inflammatory word and no such number of excluded results appeared at the bottom.

However, Google states that a different word (the word "Jew") is restricted. Googling that word, there is again no list of excluded results and many results do indeed come up (many of them neither controversial nor inflammatory. In fact, the entire first page contained no inflammatory links so it would appear that the inflammatory links are indeed censored.

So why is Google so uneven in their censorship?

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Because broadly speaking, it's hate speech when it targets a group and not when it targets an individual.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'd feel a lot sorrier for the man if he hadn't compared homosexuality to beastiality and pedophilia. That's what he gets for pissing Dan Savage off. ;). And as Jonah notes, hate speech is usually directed toward a protected class. Until "bigots" become a protected class, Rick Santorum doesn't qualify.

And yes. It's always a good idea to supervise your kids' internet activities.

BTW, this dates back to 2003. You guys hadn't heard about Santorum's "google problem" before?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Even frumpy old, NPR listening me, knew of this. :p

6. hawkeyegirl

And once you know, you'll never read another "Santorum Surges" or "Santorum Brings Up the Rear" headline the same way again. Really, some of these headlines HAVE to be intentional. Or maybe I just have an exceptionally dirty mind. :p

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

It's a great lesson in the power of Karma. Spew $hit, get it back 10 fold.;)

8. hawkeyegirl

I'm sorry. I must have missed where someone said that this is something a child should read. And just so we're crystal clear, which poster's morals exactly are you questioning?

With respect to the target being Catholics, clearly the target was Mr. Santorum and not his entire religion. Heck, Santorum is having a hard time getting Catholics (like my husband and mother) to vote for him. Furthermore, if Dan Savage wanted to redefine "Catholic" as a frothy mixture of fecal matter and anal lube, believe me, he would have done so. And I'm no apologist for Dan Savage, who I think is as big of a misogynist as is Rick Santorum.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. Lee

Lee Approved members

As a Christian, a God loving Christian, this man gives me the dry heaves. He has ick written all over him.

I do not see the haters of Santorum as a religious debate, rather I see this as a 'How Much ICK can one person take' debate.

And to say 'Santorum' and 'morality' in the same sentence makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

(And this is why I think children should be shielded from politics until a few years prior to voting age - I mean, I would hate for my kids to see this - http://soundcloud.com/mike-in-raleigh/frothy-santorum-holiday)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm guessing his hate speech against homosexuals is all fine and dandy and falls under "religious liberties" ... :rolleyes:

He's a tool pure and simple ... not because he's a Catholic but because his views are Neolithic, at best.

If someone wants to attribute his barbaric views to Catholicism that's their prerogative but one just can't, in my opinion, cast stones in the direction of one of the groups he specifically finds reprehensible and vocally speaks out against - a group protected by the Constitution of the United States - it's pure defense.

This coming from a life-long Republican.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Depending on where you fall on the scale of "moral diversity," there may also be statements from Santorum himself which you don't want your child to be exposed to. I know I wouldn't.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

;)

mts, much too short

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I love it when the stench of American politics wafts its way across the pond. Sorry 'bout that, World.

14. hawkeyegirl

I thought this was an interesting read: The Catholic Case Against Rick Santorum. Apparently when it comes to nosing around in my bedroom and my uterus, he likes to toe the "official" Catholic line, but when it comes to other stuff that would get him branded "soft" or "liberal", not so much.

That being said, I suspect that Lisa and I equally hope that he is the Republican candidate for president. Unfortunately, there is no way that the Republican powers that be will ever let that happen. There's this awesome conspiracy theory floating around out there that some bigwig Republican donors are paying Newt Gingrich to stay in the race until Super Tuesday. The idea being that if Newt dropped out of the race, it would benefit Santorum more than Romney, and the RNC knows that Santorum is unelectable in a general election.

I love a good conspiracy theory. Almost as much as I love Santorum continuing to natter on about the evils of contraception, which is a total LOSER of an issue even among most Republicans, and apparently among 98% of Catholics.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  15. swellman

swellman Approved members

First I was like "Wha?" then I was like "Errrr" then I was like "Ahhh" then I went "Heh" ... I hope I was right.

16. hawkeyegirl

Oh, you are indeed right. ;)

17. hawkeyegirl

18. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

The responses here are as predictable as the responders.

19. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

You keep saying that, and yet all you ever do is attack Republicans.

20. hawkeyegirl

There are Republicans and there are Religious Right nutjobs running under the label of Republicans. Far as I can tell. Swellman only has issues with the latter group. Frankly, it's one of the things that I like about him. He's able to look beyond the party label and see the thinly-disguised douchecanoe underneath.

But tell me what appeals to you about Rick Santorum. I didn't fancy you for a fan of the Religious Right "Republicans," frankly.