- advertisement -

Wanted - My Kid to Feel her Lows.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Trev, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Approved members

I just soap boxed about our latest near death experience our daughter has due to her body's inability to feel her lows at http://www.three2treat.com/2011/03/wanted-diabetic-child-to-feel-low.html
    I am preying she feels them soon, she had a 1.2 and showed and felt nothing, and yes I rechecked. Scaring me. Anyone else? I have asked this before. But those in Canada any word on getting the Dexcom?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Is it that she's not feeling her lows just now, or that she's never felt them?

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would stop praying that she feels her lows and start praying for a CGMS. My daughter rarely feels her lows...her body just doesn't work that way...5 years and maybe 50 lows caught - and that is being generous.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Our son usually only feels it when he's dropping rapidly, if it's slow he doesn't notice it.

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I can relate to your blog - we had a 1.4 a few weeks back that scared the bejaysus out of me - so much so I upgraded to the Veo the next day (out of pocket:(). So far so good - the predictive alerts have caught all but one low. Life would be so much easier if they could feel them. I can only tell by looking at his face - he gets really black eyes and goes very pale - which is no good when I'm not around.

Hang in there.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Same here. And it's taken us 4 1/2 years to get to that point!

7. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

I called dexcom and they have no news on when it will be in Canada. i am anxiously waiting for it too.

8. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I will join you in prayer, that she will either feel her lows or you can get a CGM or both:) That is one thing I am very thankful for- that my son feels lows.

9. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

My daughter has never been able to feel her low or her highs. Well, I take that back - she got very excited about 2 months ago because she kinda, sorta thinks she felt a low. I know how very frustrating it is when they can't feel the changes in their bg. Our endo suggested that it might have something to do with the adrenal glands but we really aren't sure.

That's why we researched into several options and ended up getting a diabetic alert dog. The journey to get one was traumatic (for those of you who know about HSP) but the result now is a great service dog team with a very loyal dog who lets his girl know before she's low or while she's dropping so that she can treat and take care of it to avoid those very low lows. It's not for everyone but it works great for us!