- advertisement -

Want to get it right for vacation

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Theo's dad Joe, Jun 19, 2015.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we just got back from a week at the Outer Banks. Here is what we all brought.

1. Novolog (2 vials + 2 pens)
    2. Lantus (2 pens)
    3. Syringes (10-20)
    4. Box of insulin pen tips
    5. back up animas pump (she's wearing t:slim)
    6. Meter + lancing device
    7. Back up meter + back up lancing device
    8. box lancets
    9. 200 test strips
    10. 3 infusion sets/iv prep wipes
    11. cartridges for both pumps (3)
    12. 2 CGM sensors
    13. bottle of (shoot the sticky stuff for the CGM sensor. what is the name of it??)
    14. low BG supplies (skittles, juice boxes, glucose tabs)
    15. The band aid thing to wear over the CGM and pump sites while in the water...again i can't think of the name. We ended up not using them though, because mother nature visited Ashleigh and she was unable to swim. She just walked on the shore and got her feet & ankles wet.
    16. Ketone meter + ketone strips
    17. Frio pack for the insulin
    18. food scale that we used maybe a handful of times.

I think that's it. We didn't even use 1/2 of the stuff we brought. but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

2. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

The receiver is small, about the size of an iPod nano.
    The Share app only works on wifi, so there must be wifi where he is in order for you to be able to see the data from your phone. The Follow app does not require wifi.
    His receiver will work without all the Share and Follow apps. The only purpose of those is for parents to remotely monitor when they are away from their child. The receiver will alarm at whatever values you set it to do so. Our low alarm is set at 80, and there is an automatic alarm at 55 that cannot be turned off or altered.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Not so. The uploader can be on a regular cellular connection if Wifi is unavailable. But maybe you just meant that it has to have an Internet connection?

4. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

deleted post

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  5. Lori_Gaines

Correct, I meant internet service. However, my understanding was that the phone that was sharing would not share on cellular data but only on wifi/internet. The follower can follow on cellular service/data with no wifi required. I did not know the Share app could work on cellular data (but we share from an old iPhone with no cell service, therefore we have to have wifi for that!). :)

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We use Share on cellular about 30% of the time.

7. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I'd look into getting insulin pens instead of vials and syringes. We find them so much easier and more portable.
    I second getting a blood ketone meter.
    Extra batteries would be for the bg meter though you could just bring a 2nd one. 2nd lancing device is a good idea too.
    If you are using Dexcom by then you will need to bring extra sensors and its charger. Also you will likely want things to help it adhere to the skin. We use skin tac wipes and opsite tape. Also we use alcohol wipes to clean the sites before insertion (though we never use them for bg tests).

8. Lori_Gaines

I learned something new today!!! :D

9. Theo's dad Joe

I think our phones will automatically turn onto a recognized wifi when they are in range, and switch to cellular when they don't have a wifi connection. They use the home network at home and cellular when we leave home. I also think we can run low information cellular almost 24 hours a day without going over our limit. Does it drain the battery to have the cell phone send out the blood sugar info every 5 minutes?

10. Lori_Gaines

I have not noticed a significant change in battery usage. But again, that is the only purpose for that device because we don't use it as a phone or anything else. It goes to school 100% charged, and when I pick her up between 5 and 6 pm, it is usually in the 70% charged range.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Snacks for the plane, we sat on a runway for over an hour the last trip.
    Cable for charging the Dexcom and meter, or extra batteries for the meter.

Id look into getting a ketone meter/strips. Much easier than carting the bottle around and more accurate than the Syria too (meter is realtime. Strips have a 2 hour lag time).

You will also want to bring extra adhesive such as Opsite flex tape for the cgm site since you will be out in the heat and probably in the water. I got ours on Amazon. Also, do you know the sensor/transmitter will not communicate with the receiver while in water?

12. Theo's dad Joe

I don't have one yet. As far as the water, that is good to know, but I just wanted to avoid having to fingerstick every half hour at the beach if possible.

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Sometimes the kids have a different perspective than we do on the fingerpoke topic. If it were me, I'd probably choose to take a 5 minute break from the water to let the Dexcom get a reading rather than do a poke, but my daughter's favorite system is to have me bring the meter to her and test so that she never has to leave the water for a BG test. It's all about trying to give them as close to normal as we can, and their views and priorities are not always what we would think.

If you're travelling outside the USA, I'd take more than one glucagon. I'll see if I can find an article by a mom/CDE whose kid needed it on vacation and found they weren't able to replace it because they weren't available in the country.

14. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Why would you finger stick every half hour anytime?

15. MomofSweetOne

We were taught by IDS to test every 30 minutes with swimming and carb to get her back to 150. Their system has worked wonderfully for us; we don't see lows when we follow it and neither are we sending her so high that she doesn't feel good, only to plunge back down.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can see that, maybe, for swimming laps, for training or for competitive swims, but my kid would have totally balked at bg checks ever 30 min at the usual faffing around at in the water at the beach.

17. MomofSweetOne

True, my kid tends to swim hard laps when she goes to the pool. When there's goofing with kids, there tends to be more in and out of the water which allows the Dexcom to get occasional readings. It all depends on the circumstance, doesn't it?

18. Theo's dad Joe

When you say you carb to 150, how many points do you expect to get per gram of carbs to get to 150?

19. Theo's dad Joe

So far, the only thing I've done is given him an extra large snack before tennis practice (1 hour) and then cut back if he was higher at the next meal, and at a water park, after an hour I either let him check or have a snack. If he doesn't want a snack at 1 hour, he has to check. If he was under 150 at the check I'd probably give him about 12-15 grams, figuring it is going to take a while to hit, and 12-15 grams/hour is keeping him pretty stable with water "play." I was told that hot and cold variations, like getting into and out of the water will lower your blood sugar faster than normal even if you are not too active. The only time he's ever been under 60 he went to the pool, was at 120, didn't want a snack and 30 minutes he was at 55 (though he felt totally normal).

20. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Forgive me if I said this already but someone on FB suggested installing the Dex with the clips down so that water didn't accumulate in the U of the sensor. It has made a huge difference with swimming and even showers! Now we'll get continuous readings in the shower and readings when he's out of the pool for a short time, like trip to the bathroom.