- advertisement -

Waking up from CGM alarms

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

dd is 16 now and would like to find a way to wake up when her CGM alarms. So far, we have tried all of these but none will wake her up:

- Nightscout Pebble on every combination of vibration mode
    - Every Dexcom alarm setting including hypo-repeat
    - Dexcom in a glass jar making a ton of noise when it vibrates...
    - Dexcom inside of a glove pressed against her hand while she sleeps
    Not necessarily looking for something louder, as before long she will want to have a roommate in college and don't want to wake them up. Any other ideas that have worked for parents of teenagers?

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

iseismometer.com

It will wake you, your daughter, and most people within a few blocks.

Also the Dexcom share, the follow app has all kinds of useful and annoying alarms, Including a baby crying, all of ehich are emitted by an iphone/ipod that is designed with a great speaker.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I don't have a Pebble attached to our Nightscout setup, so I'm unfamiliar with the alarms on the watch, but you didn't mention trying the nightscout phone alarms. I find that I wake to the nightscout alarms more readily than the dexcom alarms because the nightscout ones are continuous, only stopping when you snooze them.

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

This looks like an app...? How does it make so much noise?

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I might try that but how do you ensure that the nightscout app audio is on? I 'm leary of that icon you need to press to enable the audio because it doesn't give a visual indication.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

As an adult it is crazy how oblivious you become to alarms on your pump/cgms. You hear them over and over. Plus sleep needs of 12 to 30 year olds and it can be a lost cause. The apps with different sounds is a good route, the bed shaker, but whatever you use you probably need to change it every 4 months or so. You can rotate back to the same thing but it you switch it up three times a year you will probably be good to go. Also consider if she does not have a room mate in college she may need to have a higher threshold at night. My husband responds to my alarms more than me. Part of the problem is that as you are dropping you become less receptive, you are both asleep and more out of it due to your low BS. That is the plus to the auto shut off of insulin on the minimed if you do not respond to alarms. I use that when my husband is out of town. If I was single I would always use it but adjust my overnight levels. I am willing to have the few overnight super highs that you might get from the shut off, it actually is rarely very bad as you do respond to the alarms within a few hours. Ali

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If your DD wants to be inconspicuous with a low at night and a roommate in college then I think the best route is the bed shaker alarm device. I have not used but seen these type of things linked to a "security" type of system that will call if alarms. Honestly there is so much out there, might not be developed for T1D but would be helpful.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

I was assuming if she had a roommate one would expect her roommate to awake to the alarms if she did not, like my husband. It did not occur to me that the roommate would not be aware and be a safety net.☺️
    I was viewing the roommate as a plus and someone else like a parent or spouse to help with the alarms. I suspect the bed shaker is noisy and would disturb the roommate also if the objective is to not disturb him/her. The only way to not disturb a roommate in my opionon is to set the alarms to vibrate and have the thresholds set very high and low so they only blast with major issues. Just assume she will run higher at night. The roommate issue is important. My college life without a CGMS was so different. Ali

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We used a different bed shaker, and it worked fine without being noisy.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Great advice as always, Ali. Thank you. I agree with you, her alarms will need to be higher for the reason you mentioned. But even high alarms don't wake her...

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Which one? I am looking at a few online.

13. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I have a baby monitor as backup to nightscout so I'm not that leary (and I do tap the sound icon it a couple of times when I head to bed, just to be sure) but haven't had any problems. I know that sound is automatic on regular computers, so it may be automatic on some tablets too (I just don't know which ones). Also, within the last week, someone created an app called Fingerstick that fixes any alarm issues on iPhones if that's the type of phone your daughter has.

14. sszyszkiewicz

Download it and try. It is free. it makes the dex sound like a squeek in comparison.

15. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I downloaded the android version but all it does is draw the graphs, I can't see any options for it to alarm...?

ETA: I downloaded the iPhone version and the alarm works there if we put the Dex on top of the iphone. But when she turns off the iphone the alarm doesn't work. Do you have to leave the iphone on/plugged in?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  16. sszyszkiewicz

I didnt know that about the android version (i dont have an android phone). yes i leave the iphone plugged in.

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

It is this one, which looks like it has been replaced by a new model called Sonic Boom. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from this company again. In fact my son was just tested and will likely have to wear a Cpap, so he may need to start using the one his sister used. I now have the Share, so I don't need it.
    Sonic Alert Sonic Sitter Baby Cry Signaler
    by Sonic Alert