- advertisement -

Vitiligo; another related autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by goochgirl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I know there are children here who have Celiac, and some with Thyroid issues. In the past year, my son's knees, fingers, ankles, and elbows, and every place he's ever had a mosquito bite and scratched have slowly had the white patches of skin become more evident. I wasn't aware, until we went to visit our new endo, that it was also autoimmune :(. I was wondering if there were other children, or siblings who have this also.

I know it won't hurt him. It's just one more emotional suitcase he is going to have to carry around; breaks my heart.

2. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Yep, my son Vincent started getting white splotches about 6 months after he was dx with Type 1. I pointed them out to the pediatrician at the time and he said they were nothing to worry about. He only had 1 or 2. Over time I noticed they were getting bigger and more and more were showing up. I pointed it out to the Endo and they said it was vitiligo. So I brought it up again to the pediatrician and they sent me to a dermatologist who did some black light testing and skin scraping and confirmed it is vitiligo. At this point it's all over his legs, hands, lower back, and arms. The dermatologist prescribed some cream to even the skin tone but my son really could care less and he decided he didn't want to be applying this cream every day. When it spreads to his face he might care and we will get the cream then but right now if it doesn't bother him I'm not going to worry about it.

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

My middle son has vitiligo, oddly though, only on his lower back. It has never gotten worse and it first showed up when he was about 3.

4. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

my son has it next to his eye. Right now it's pretty light and looks like an odd shaped tan line. No one offered us a cream, I'll have to look in to that. I make sure I keep it covered with sunscreen. He doesn't seem to know/care. I DO worry about the social impact it will have on him in the future.

5. tiger7lady

I have a feeling Vincent will start to care when it's very noticeable to the other kids. I also worry about the social impact.

6. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Interesting. My middle child, non-d, daughter developed a small circle on her back that didn't tan all summer. Sounds like what you've all described. She sees her pediatrician in about a month, so we will have it looked at then.

7. KayJay

KayJay Approved members

Our non-d daughter was diagnosed with JIA in May and she also started having white patches on the back of her calf (just below her knee) the end of May. We were told it is Vitiligo. She saw a dermatologist this morning who prescribed a steroid cream that they said "could" stop the inflammation and smooth out the skin. They also told me that it "could" make the pigment come back??? I thought that once it was gone, it wouldn't come back so I was encouraged with this news. Hoping the cream will work and that it doesn't show up anywhere else.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'll be darned. I bet Jack has this. He's got a white splotch on his lower back that I've noticed for a while, but never really thought too much about. He does have a small spot on his face too, but it's not very noticable. Huh.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Actually, this is one of the things the Endo asked us repeatedly about at diagnosis - I guess there is a link, but I have never been interested enough to look it up...Coco has a white spot on one of her shoulders.

10. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

My 11 year old nephew has this. He's lost most of the pigmentation all over his body already. Patches of his hair are white as well.

11. tiger7lady

Yep, our dermatologist said it was about a 50/50 shot. Vincent decided since he has LOTS of spots he didn't want to be bothered applying it every day, twice a day. And truthfully I don't disagree with his decision - he already has to deal with all the BG checks and everything that comes with D. But I can totally see him applying it to his face every morning and night when the time comes.