- advertisement -

Vitamin, mineral, foodstuffs and nutrition good for diabetes type 1.

Discussion in 'Research' started by ecure, May 9, 2012.

1. ecure

ecure Approved members

In other term, it will promote beta-cells survival rate and promote regeneration through natural products.. Could you include a research paper if possible?
    could you include the ones to avoid as well ?

As I know,

To add:
    Vitamin D
    Omega 3-6-9
    Honey

To avoid:
    Milk

Do you know any other one?

Thank you

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Uhm... Why should I avoid milk!? I haven't heard that before.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Don't have the time at the moment to find any studies and all are inconclusive anyway, generally. Supplements my T1 takes:

Niacinamide
    Vanadyl Sulfate
    Lipoic Acid
    Vit. D

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

Interesting. Are these on recommendation from a doctor?

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I don't choose to enter a debate here on this topic. I've been quite thoroughly trounced in the past for my more alternative beliefs. I give my son the needed allopathic (i.e., medical doctor prescribed) medications and I supplement him in ways my own research and personal beliefs support. There is nothing I am giving him that is harmful and I am not advocating anyone else do what I am doing.

There are many articles supporting these supplements (and probably as many denying them), if you are interested I'd suggest you research them.

But I do not plan on debating this here as I have not found this particular website to be open to alternative beliefs, and rightly so, there are lots of crazy cures and such so I understand why many are defensive. I'm not in the crazy cure by eating bark camp...just supplementing in ways I feel may help and surely won't harm.

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I take an abundance of Vitamins and Supplements, with my doctorrs approval(they're all about prevention not treating), I'm not sure they do anything for TPYE 1 diabetes specifically, but I sure don't get sick!

7. swellman

Believe it or not I was not going to debate you ... only looking for info. So, I take that as a "No".

EDIT: For what it's worth I hadn't heard of the first 3 and my first Google search was pretty all over the place so I was just curious if they came doctor recommended just to put it into context.

8. ecure

ecure Approved members

everyone is welcome to share

everyone is welcome to share:

and if possible a research paper or other article about your suggestion.

So far, we have:

To add:
    Vitamin D
    Omega 3-6-9
    Honey
    Niacinamide
    Vanadyl Sulfate
    Lipoic Acid

To avoid:
    Milk

I think we may add Cinnamon but it's more linked to insulin resistance. Is it common syndrome in diabetes type 1? Do we have any statistics of insulin resistance among diabetics type 1?

Recently , we read a research about honey has a potential effect to increase TNF.

We had a lot of researches who suspect milk as potiential risk factor to diabetes type 1 development.

If we forgot one, feel feel to share!! everyone is welcomed.. We are not here to judge..

Thank you

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, got it. 99.9% of the treatments I choose for my kids (excluding diabetic treatment of course) are not "prescribed" by my MD. My kids chew garlic when ill, I've gotten rid of warts with tea tree oil, earaches with garlic/mullein, grapefruit seed extract and neti pot for sinus infections, etc..I could go on a while. I am a HUGE believer in the power of our bodies to heal and I do not run to the Dr. for most illnesses.

So, no, my MD did not prescribe any of the supplements. At some point I did inform so it's probably in his chart, but most typical endos don't think outside the traditional, in my experience.

10. Ernst

Ernst Approved members

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Respectfully, where is your proof/scientific support?

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

I did a bit of reading about Niacinamide recently and the findings are all over the place, as someone already stated. For example, in terms of Niacinamide:

positive:
    http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/2/4/256.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8961125

negative:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15043959

And Vit. D (our daughter was deficient at dx even with taking supplements!), which is more likely beneficial:
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100621/low-vitamin-d-linked-to-poor-diabetes-control

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15971062

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22308861

DHA:

ongoing: http://www.choc.org/pressroom/index.cfm?id=P00296&nid=456&keyword=endocrinology

13. ecure

ecure Approved members

Our society is stubborn to believe only the engineered synthetic drugs or genetic modified compounds could help to treat the diseases.

We have been conditioned to believe it since we are born.

In reality, if our researchers would focus more time on the natural compounds they may discover a dosage and frequency to reverse diabetes t1 with a natural compound.

We may take a natural compound each day who could cure us with a right frequency and dosage or right administration intravenous instead of orally for example. We may take all our life that mystery natural compound who could have cured if our society was less capatilism and more human.

We are lucky some researchers are still in interested in natural compounds with so much pressure from the drug groups and big salary compensation to attract the researchers.
    Search patents regarding the natural compounds you will be surprise to discover a lot of compounds are beneficial to diabetes t1.. A lot of promising researches on natural compounds are stopped as well... EX: capsaicin it was really promising .. It just one example but you may find several other similar promising researches on natural compounds who stopped suddently .. It's the way we live in a world where the cure are against money profit.. It's sad reality...

Simple explanation.

Natural compounds is not patentable..
    The patents are big profit makers for the drug groups.

It's easy to understand.... Pharmceuticals make really wide margin of profits..

The pharmaceutical industry brainwashed us so much and especially the medical doctors to believe the natural compounds are scam at 99.9999%... We may discover it's not that much..
    It's very hard to find a doctor who will offer you alternative natural compounds to treat mild disease or health problem. I think it could be a good beginning in modern medecine to introduce natural compound alternatives for some mild disease at least.. I don't talk about diabetes type 1..
    Example : some mild depression could be treated with natural compounds.

I think is evolution process , it will not happen tommorow.

I have some solutions I could dicuss but it's not my intention in this post.. In summary , the patent system should become public property and every citizen should a voting right to this new public organization.
    Right now our medical patents are owned by private companies with a lot of conflict of interests. It's totally evident in capatilism system a private company will have one interest money money money money...
    The patent system controls our evolution. Our current patent system slows down our evolution.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  14. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I am not a fan of Pharma per se, although I certainly appreciate insulin for my son and some other medications. I do work for a company that reports on pharma. I also work as a paralegal in intellectual property law. And I am a consumer reviewer for the Cochrane Collaboration and would caution anyone who believes a single study proves just about anything - often data is missing, and there's potentially tremendous bias depending upon who is funding the studies.

When people claim that things are natural, it's also good to note that poison ivy is also natural. I don't mean this to be snarky, just to point out that just because something is natural, does not mean it's necessarily benign.

Have you experienced the flush from niacinamide? UGH - I hate that feeling.

The nicotinamide trials proved NOT to be efficacious. I was once hopeful for that one.

DHA, Vitamin D - may indeed be helpful for reducing inflammation and may ultimately prove beneficial in a cocktail to delay onset of type 1 and/or reverse antibody status, but where's the evidence it does anything to preserve beta cell survival or promote beta cell regeneration - which was what you were originally promoting. Thanks.

15. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

16. swellman

Thank you for your reply.

It is a formal logical fallacy to believe that things natural are inherently safe and better ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

rgcainmd likes this.
  17. ecure

ecure Approved members

I never said it's better and safer in every case 100%....You should not never presume anything.
    You should admit our medical system could not interest to natural compounds instead to create engineered sythetic drugs to patent them and sell us those drugs at prohibitive prices.
    Drug groups make a ton of money...

Just imagine if one research would reveal you could cure from cancer with a natural compound you grow up in your garden... A lot of money to lose for those companies.. Their lobby will work hard to prevent this...

I admit a reality and if you're too brainwashed to realize it.. it's time to realize..
    We could evolve as a society and we could change it.

Some students of Harvard started to notice the reality:
    Conflict of interests I mentionned you in my previous posts..

It's time for everyone to recognize a reality.

Quotations from New York Times :

“We are really being indoctrinated into a field of medicine that is becoming more and more commercialized.”

The students say they worry that pharmaceutical industry scandals in recent years — including some criminal convictions, billions of dollars in fines, proof of bias in research and publishing and false marketing claims — have cast a bad light on the medical profession.

David Tian, 24, a first-year Harvard Medical student, said: “Before coming here, I had no idea how much influence companies had on medical education. And it’s something that’s purposely meant to be under the table, providing information under the guise of education when that information is also presented for marketing purposes.”In a first-year pharmacology class at Harvard Medical School, Matt Zerden grew wary as the professor promoted the benefits of cholesterol drugs and seemed to belittle a student who asked about side effects.
    Jodi Hilton for The New York Times
    Some students, like Vijay Yanamadala, right, and Brian Fuchs, favor continued links between Harvard and drug companies.
    Mr. Zerden later discovered something by searching online that he began sharing with his classmates. The professor was not only a full-time member of the Harvard Medical faculty, but a paid consultant to 10 drug companies, including five makers of cholesterol treatments.
    The school said it was unable to provide annual measures of the money flow to its faculty, beyond the $8.6 million that pharmaceutical companies contributed last year for basic science research and the $3 million for continuing education classes on campus. But no one disputes that many individual Harvard Medical faculty members receive tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars a year through industry consulting and speaking fees.
    Read full article at:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/business/03medschool.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  18. ecure

ecure Approved members

Medical students think it's a problem..
    A lot of researchers and doctors will admit same reality anonymously to avoid to lose their job or money .

It's not a theory... It's a reality...
    A lot of people in industry will confirm you . Even the governments of some countries admitted the reality..

A pure fact and reality..

Avoid to insult me . We live in free world... Even if you don't think it's problem .. You should respect other people who think it's a serious problem..

Don't be so offended . Will you resist to a big salary and a lot of money for sake of social welfare? If yes, are you 100% sure ? whatever the amount of money ?

19. ecure

ecure Approved members

Swellman: Okay, didactor, I cannot say anything you don't approve...
    I thought I lived in free world where liberty of speech exists..

Maybe you contact those students of Harvard to tell them you don't approve and it's not a problem at all what they described. You may even insult them like you did with me..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/bu...?_r=1&emc=eta1

20. ecure

ecure Approved members

Ty for your link but I think it's broken...

This link works:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/8269/

More people will recognize this problem today. Ask your doctor you may surprise .

Ty for sharing with us.