- advertisement -

Visual Perception Disorder

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by chkpea, Oct 11, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

Hi, my ds has been evaluated by the OT at school and he is weak in some areas of visual perception. They sent us home some activities to do at home but I am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this and if you went down the road of "Vision Therapy" or Play therapy? I am trying to read up on it on the internet and have seen that people have corrected the disorder with vision therapy. Please share your experiences with me...I have been trying to touch base with the OT but we can't seem to connect.

He has also had language/speech delay - caught up, and has weak fine motor.

We are going to have a full pediatric assessment done - on the wait list but in the meantime I want to be proactive.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder in high school and the occupational therapy included stuff meant to help me track things better and other things to improve the way I use my eyes. As far as I could tell, it didn't do anything but frustrate me.

3. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Morgan was dx'd with a cortical visual impairment. Not sure if this is the same thing. It doesn't have anything to do with his eyes, but with how his brain interprets what it sees. At school they do things like using a black background when he is looking at things. It is supposed to eliminate distractions that might be confusing when he is looking at something. He has poor depth perception. I can see that sometimes when he goes to pick something up and he over reaches or under reaches. They tell me that is some cases this can be corrected. I think the vision teacher thru the local AEA is a great resource as is an o.t. I do think that the vision therapy helps. Good luck!

4. Steff

Steff Approved members

Both of my older boys have visual perception issues. They both get private OT and OT in school. They both have high functioning autism and they both have other sensory processing issues. We did look into vision therapy for my oldest because that seems to be a very weak area for him. We decided against it for a number of reasons but mainly because he was already going to so many types of therapies. Out private OT is big on child led play therapy and he loves going to see her. She works the visual perception into most sessions but Kyle's fine motor skills are by far his weakest area so he spends a majority of his time on that. It has definitely gotten better over the years but he has hit an age where the progress has totally stopped or slowed significantly. (I'm not ready to give up just yet.) The school has been very good about making accommodations and his IEP team meets informally once a month to tweak things. I think the younger you start the better the outcome will be.

Good luck!

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Hmm, well there is a difference between visual perception and what vision therapy offers. Visual perception has more to do with how the brain interpets what the eyes see, so it is treated more with activities like tangrams and puzzles and lots of eye-hand coordination.

Vision therapy is aimed at the eyes themselves, and if they track together (muscle based), whether they can focus together, etc. Vision therapy concentrates on the eyes where perception is more of a brain function.

A good pediatric opthalmologist or even some optometrists can do or recommend vision therapy, as can some OT's. For visual perception pediatric OT is the way to go, but is usually paired with sensory integration therapy.

Here is a website you can mess around with to see if these are issues that your child is dealing with, it has some activities for both vision therapy and perception.

http://www.eyecanlearn.com/#Random