- advertisement -

Video: Improving the Transition From Pediatric to Adult Health Care

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Boy, I wish T's doctors had provided a better transition. Going from the caring (possibly TOO warm and fuzzy) peds endo to the adult practice with NO understanding of the college lifestyle and the additional challenges of that....it wasn't pretty. It was actually adversarial for about a year...definitely didn't enhance compliance.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We haven't transitioned, but I have just had a first adult Endo appointment with Anna who is 17. WOW - what a difference from our strict, regimented, number hungry paediatric appointments! Anna's appointment was relaxed, informative and positive. Maybe because it was her first? but we had a good explanation of what was going on and where to from here. He really did understand teenagers and the changes in their lives. I never feel that way going into Rachel's paediatric appointments where we seem to hand over numbers and be drilled about each one, and then the rest of the time is spent organising scripts etc. One thing he did say was that she won't get 3 monthly appts like Rachel does because there just aren't enough time slots available, but he filled out a serial card for 3 monthly HbA1c' etc..

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We're in the midst of this. She just needs to make the appointment. I wish there were more of a hand off. When we asked her pediatric endo for referrals he didn't really give us any. We've found one through word of mouth and we'll see how it goes.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have always thought ped endos should handle the transition the way it is often handled in the ped oncology world. In my case at least, my adult oncologist attended my last ped oncologist appointment and then my ped oncologist attended my first adult oncologist appointment. That way there was a more formal hand off and they were also able to sit down and have a face to face conversation instead of me just showing up with the binders full of information they gave me at my last appointment in the pediatric clinic.

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I was diagnosed at 19 and started with an adult endo. I did make the transition from peds GI to adult GI for another issue I had and it was UGLY. They gave me little to no direction on finding an adult doctor, and the first was I saw was just nasty and accused me if being a liar and told me that the peds office wrote in my chart that I was a difficult patient. They had me change into a gown, which I had never been asked to do before and didn't know what to expect, especially because it was a male doctor, which I already wasn't comfortable with. Then they left me sitting there cold and half naked for over an hour waiting. It was a nightmare. I left shaking and throwing up I was so upset and it took me over a year to try a different office (which was a totally different experience).

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In the midst of this now, and his first adult endo was about as helpful as a brick. It took me WEEKS to get prescriptions updated and I would be put on hold for 20+ minutes, no way would my son (who I was trying to transition to owning his care) would have the patience for that. No communication on how to get rx filled, talk to a nurse, or any of that. As a new college student he didn't think he needed any support, but truth be told as a college student he likely needed MORE. And this adult endo is part of the college system in town. It was disappointing. I called and expressed my extreme disappointment in how they handled his care and that was weeks ago, no one even followed up. He randomly got a phone call from them the other day to make an appointment. He hadn't seen them since October (or anyone) so I supposed it's good they noticed that!

He's trying a new one now, we left that practice behind. New one sees both pedi AND adult, so I'm hopeful for a better relationship.