- advertisement -

Very Proud Mama

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Daniel's Mom 1993, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel is 20 yrs old now, dx'd just over 6 years ago so I know he is not a child with D anymore but I did want to let other parents know it is possible to have a child that does not rebel, tries very hard to do the right thing and was sucessful! His last A1c was 6.9 which over the last several years the he has ranged 6.6-7.1 usually closer to 6.6...today he was his lowest at 6.0!! He has not had many lows and the highs have been few and not super high so I think it is pretty accurate.
    The only negative thing is his cholesterol was high last visit and if still high they want to put him on meds...we will just have to wait and see.

2. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

Congratulations to you and your son! Thanks for the post!

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Congrats! That makes me happy to hear - mine is only 3 years old and I already find myself worrying about the teenage rebellion!!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yeah! We are having a similar experience here, my son's control and A1C have been better than when he lived at home, he's taking it very seriously.

My son's cholesterol was high for a few blood tests as well, I put him on Fish oil and Red Rice Yeast and got it down to a normal level. Something to consider, I would not be ok with starting the big guns at that age unless I couldn't get it lowered otherwise.

5. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I was reading on the cholesterol, and saw some of your posts.... I think it is his LDL that is high(132) , he did not know what the others are so I told him to be sure to ask about all and I will also suggest the fish oil and red rice yeast...he has been trying to eat better but I don't think he has changed a lot other that less fried foods.... Thanks for the information!

6. coni

coni Approved members

Congratulations to you both! Thanks for the inspiring post. It gives me hope to hear these as we head into the teen years.

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

That is wonderful! Congratulations on a job well done!