- advertisement -

Very New

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by momtoirishtwins, May 26, 2010.

1. momtoirishtwins

momtoirishtwins Approved members

Hi, my name is Alissa and I have two precious little boys, Connor and Evan. Connor is 4, and Evan is 3. They are 10 1/2 months apart and the best of friends.

Our life was turned upside down Friday night. Our family had taken a business trip to Louisiana on May 13th. We had to drive 12 hours, and when Connor had to go pee every 30 min., I knew something was wrong. I thought it was a bladder infection. I googled (dangerous, I know) and found that frequent urination and excessive thirst could be signs for diabetes. I mentioned this to my husband. He thinks I am a hypochondriac, so he pushed it off. After a week in Louisiana, we returned home (May 19th), but Connor was still using the restroom frequently. We called the doctor and got an appointment for Monday (May 24th). On Friday, we took our boys to see the new Shrek movie, which is great btw. Our plans were to drop the boys off at my inlaws house and have a date night. Oh how that changed.

After the movie we had some time before we were supposed to drop the kids off. Connor had to go pee 3 times during the movie, so I told my husband that we should just go ahead and take him into urgent care to possibly get some meds for a bladder infection. At urgent care, they tested his urine, which showed no sign of infection. They then tested his blood. His blood sugar was above 600. At that point, they sent us over to the ER. We dropped Evan off at the inlaws and continued on to the hospital. Within 2 hours we found out that Connor had type 1 diabetes and had mild DKA.

We were sent by ambulance at 11 pm that night to Children's Mercy in Kansas City Missouri, 3 hours away from our home. Our lives have been hectic since. We are back home, but his blood sugar is nowhere near what it should be. We have only had 3 "normal" readings since his DX.

I have a 9 year old cousin who was DX with type 1 at the age of 3, so my aunt has been incredibly helpful in helping us through this time. We came here hoping to find a place where people understand and are going through the same things we are. Nobody wants to be here, but since we dont have a choice, we have to stick together.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Welcome... sorry you had to join us.. glad you listened to your mommy instinct and the Urgent care did exactly what they are suppose to do..

The beginning is tough, you are learnging so much and dealing with a lot..

PS, I have irishtwins as well, they're 11months apart. :)

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Alissa, your post made me cry...again!

I know how crazy things are for you and your family right now, we went thru all that December 26 '09...hospital for 4 days, but without DKA. You probably won't believe this, but in another month or two, you will feel better about taking care of your child. We have been doing this for 5 months now, and I never thought I would know so much about diabetes.

Right now, you may go through all of the emotional stuff, the entire grieving process, and you might wonder, how am i going to take care of my child. You will do it, just remember you are strong, you are Mom, you CAN do it.

The best thing you can do right now, is to make sure you have a pediatric endo, and educate yourself. Read books, read this Forum. There are sooo many knowledgeable people here who will help you through this, trust me on that one, they've been great to us;)

I have a sister who was diagnosed at 21, 23 years ago! She is doing great today!

Best wishes to you, all will be okay.

- Kathy

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Alissa, welcome to the family:cwds: Im sorry you had to be here but you are very right. We all do stick together and support one another on this journey. How is Connor doing with everything? Is he tolerating the shots ok? How are you doing? I know this is overwhelming and scary at first. Take your time and be patient with yourself, youll learn all there is to know about diabetes. Come here if you have questions or need some support there's always someone around.

Do me a favor and have Connor watch this video. Jay Cutler is quarterback for the Chicago Bears. In this video he shows how having type 1 diabetes doesnt hold him back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEZJUbeBqY

5. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Hi Alissa
    Sorry that you had to join us, but welcome. Glad you found this place so soon. It is an endless source of information and support.

I remember all too well those first weeks. Scary,overwhelming and emotional. Hang in there!

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi Alissa, I'm sorry you've had to join us. Vincey's Mom said everything I wanted to say. :) Your life, even though it seems crazy now, will get back to normal - it won't always be this crazy blur of diabetes. :)

7. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Welcome to a great group that we all wish we never had to join! Glad you found it so ealy into your journey. You will find a "new normal".

8. momtoirishtwins

He is doing better then I could have ever expected. He started asking to check his blood sugar yesterday, and wont let us do it now.

We are hoping to get him on a pump as soon as we can, but for the time being, he is okay with his shots. He is a sponge, and learns all he can about his diabetes. I swear we have read through that pink panther book 100 times by now.

Here is a video of my little man doing one of his pokes today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQptxpVXRs

9. Rukio

Rukio Banned

xD

I about died when I saw the meter! I have that exact color and type next to me except mines older so it doesnt have the plug in at the end xD (not sure what the black dot at the end is called x.x)

10. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome! You'll find all kids of great support here! Our D children amaze me all the time!

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful dealing with diabetes:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...ad.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

12. sage68

sage68 Approved members

OMG I LOVED LOVE LOVED that video you posted of you LO doing his finger check! I showed my DD the video and she wanted to watch it over and over again. She was 25 months when she dx and so we have been doing her checks because at dx she was too young and as she got older, she was too scared to do it herself. I decided to show her the video of your DS doing his own blood check since he is the same age at DD and she immediately wanted to do her own check and hasn't wanted me to do it for her since! It was almost a cry moment for me, as she is growing up, so I just wanted to thank you for that. That video helped my DD know that other LO's are out there with the same disease and they have to do the same things. She sees me check her sister but it really isn't the same.

13. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

I love that video. Your boy is amazing!

And I am impressed with your attitude, with the laughter and the filming. You are going to do great with this.

14. momtoirishtwins

I'm so glad it helped your daughter! He has always been SO independent, so I figured he would want to do it by himself soon, but I didnt think it would be just a few days after Dx. He was really excited to film it and show his grandparents and aunts and uncles. The only problem is now I have to watch him, because if his tummy hurts, he will poke himself and get the meter ready by himself. The other day, I was cleaning in the bathroom, and he came up to me with his meter (test strip loaded and ready) and a drop of blood on his finger. Lol I was proud, but told him that I needed to be there to watch him while he does it. He is doing so well with all of it, even using the "I have diabetes" line to garner sympathy from a pretty little girl he has had a crush on since he was 2!

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Welcome. Sorry you had to find us though. I have two sons. My oldest was diagnosed when he was 3 years old. That was ten years ago. We are doing fine, living the new kind of normal. This website is very helpful and the FFL conference is great in Orlando!