- advertisement -

Very New to Diabetes!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by yelley, Apr 9, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

My 11 year old was just dx'd 3/31/10. We took her to the doctor and they informed us to hurry up and get her to the ER. I cried all the way to the ER, but have not cried since (no time, things move so fast and I know it is going to catch up with me). When we got there things started moving so quickly. Next thing you know we were transferred to CHOC in Orange and in the PICU. She was dx'd with DKA. Trying to get the bg under control while also seeing that her potassium was dropping quite fast, what a whirl wind. The hospital was great and provided us with so much information and support. Our Diabetes Educator was dx'd when she was 8 and she is now married with kids. It was so nice to see that with this disease you can live a full and happy life!

We have been home for less than a week and it is truly amazing at how my daughter has adapted so far. Of course she is on spring break this week and the first day back to school will be Monday.

Anyway, I have been reading through all these posts and I am truly greatful I found a resource that can help with our adjusting to this new way of life.

I look forward to reading and learning from all the posts here.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Welcome to you and your daughter:) I know this is a frightening time for you. You will learn all that there is to know about diabetes just take your time and be patient with yourself. If there is anything we can help you with let us know. So your daughter is heading back to school on Monday for the first time since diagnosis? Have you spoken to someone at the school? The nurse or principal or the school social worker would be good also. If she is in public school you may want to have a 504 plan written up for her. This just makes sure that her rights are protected as a child with type 1 diabetes and that someone there will be able to help her manage her diabetes.

3. yelley

yelley Approved members

Yes it will be her first day since being diagnosed. I have already spoken with her teacher and the office (over the phone while we were at the hospital), but I plan on going in on Manday to sit down with them.

Fortunately I have been very involved with the school and the PTA so I know the principal, teachers and office staff very well.

I know that the principal & I have talked about a 504 plan before but in regards to her learning and anxiety. Would they initiate it based on her diagnoses or do I?

I have all the forms for the school from the hospital signed and ready to go.

Any other advise would be great!

4. Lilfyrecracker21

Lilfyrecracker21 Approved members

Welcome!! I am glad you are here. It is hard but when my son was diagnosed I had ups and downs and still do some days mainly when I go to bed. His diagnoses went the same way. Just know that u aren't alone.
    Renee
    DH-Darrel
    DS-Alex 8 dx'd Feb. 19, 2010
    Mary-faith 3 Non-D

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Welcome to CWD! We're sorry that you had to join us, but very glad that you found the board. It is a tremendous resource for information and support. :)

Feel free to jump in and post a lot. You'll learn best by asking lots of questions. Everyone here has been where you are now, and people are really patient and helpful.

6. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Welcome to CWD, I hope you learn a lot here.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome! This is a wonderful place for support and knowledge! Hope her week goes smoothly going back to school.

8. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Hello Yelley, welcome aboard. It is very possible to have a long, healthy life with Type 1. I have been type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy.

Ask all the questions you want, you will get much good advice and support here.

Richard

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Thats great that the school is on board with everything:) I always encourage people to initiate a 504 meeting.When you go in Monday let them know that you need to talk to the person who is in charge of 504 plans and set up a meeting. Their should be someone there that takes care of that. I dont ever think the worst of schools but many schools dont understand that CWD are entitled to a 504 plan. It is really just to make sure the childs medical needs are going to be met by a trained person and that they have certain academic rights such as, if blood sugars are out of range when they are about to take a test the child has the right to postpone that test until their blood sugar is in range. And of course, if they are in gym class and are feeling low they would need to be tested and treated and make sure that the blood sugars is at acceptable levels for being active.

10. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome, you have found a wonderful place for education and support!

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hi and welcome. I remember the ride to the ER where I could not stop crying (my daughter probably was scarred for life :) ). It's so much better now. It will take some getting used to, but you will be pros before you know it!

I agree with Becky - ask for the 504. Sometimes they don't like to do them because they don't want to be tied to the accommodations they agree to with our D. But it's important to have.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI and Welcome.. glad you found us, but sorry you had to.. Jump right in and make yourself at home. :D