- advertisement -

Very High Bloodsugars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by diabeticgirl101, Mar 19, 2006.

1. diabeticgirl101

diabeticgirl101 Approved members

Hi everyone. I have a question. I went to check my blood sugar at dinner time and it was really high. Read the blood sugar numbers from bottom to top.

591- 7:37
    468- 7:35
    526-7:32
    487-7:31

I am really worried because I've never had that high (591) of a blood sugar, even when I was in the hospital when I was sick and just diagnosed. Does anyone know why it was jumping so much?

I think it might be because: I ate lunch at 1:40 (that was the time we'd gotten home from church) and then I had snack at 3 PM . Could it have been because I had lunch and snack so close together?

Thanks!

2. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Well, there are a few reasons. One would be, yes, you could have had lunch and snack too close together - depending on what types of insulin you're on, if you're on lantus and novolog, lunch and snack being so close together shouldn't be the problem. Another could be - when were you diagnosed? if you've been in the honeymoon, you could be coming out of it and need more insulin. Maybe you mis-calculated your insulin dosage? or maybe you just had a bad day?

These are all possibilities. But, I think that your best bet is to analyze you day and then talk to your doctor about it, he/she will be able to help you best figure out what happened and to know what to do next time.

hope this helps a little

3. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

That is a big difference within 6 minutes. Is your meter working ok? If we had readings like that for no apparent reason I would have to test myself to make sure we were getting the right reading.
    It's hard to say since I don't know what your insulin routine is.
    I hope you get your # down quick.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Looks like you need some more insulin -- did you give herself insulin for both lunch and the snack?

Don't be concerned about the range in the numbers. Meters are not designed to be accurate when the sugar is that high. All that matters is that you need some insulin.

Sometimes my son is high like that because he was extra low earlier in the day.

5. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Maybethere is something wrong with the insulin. Did you change the vial/pen?
    Good luck! I know how awful it is to have such high numbers:(