- advertisement -

Very happy with new school :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ROVERT81402, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Trevor was diagnosed when he was in Kindergarden, he went to a very small catholic school (there were 80 kids from K-8!) So I thought he would be better off left in that school. Then last year (3rd grade) the nurse went from 3 days a week to just 1 for 4 hours! The secretary did a good job making sure he checked himself before lunch and taking care of his lows though. After some things happened last year that I did not like (Not D related) we decided to switch him to the public school. I was so nervous for him, and myself, wondering how he was gonna be treated, how the school staff was gonna be...3 weeks into school, EVERYBODY is absolutely amazing! He has an aid that is there, basically just for him, the nurse is there everyday, most of the entire day, his teachers, the principal, the secretaries, are all wonderful! They are all willing to do whatever they have to for him. I feel completely safe having him in the new school, and he is making so many new friends :) Just wanted to share a little good news about the school :)

2. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I'm glad it's working out for you and that you are both happy. Reann was also in a Catholic school when she was dx'd--right before 8th grade. Since she was older, she was able to care for herself and with the exception of 1 all her teachers and the principal were very helpful if need be. She then went on to a Catholic HS and then Catholic college. In HS her teachers were all supportive and everytime one of them saw me that was the first thing they asked about. Of course with both her elementary and HS, she was the 5th of my girls to attend, so I was pretty well known. But I would not have hesitated to switch her to a public school if I thought it was better for her.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Heather, that is great news:) I am so happy for you guys. I know what a relief that is to know that your child will be safe and comfortable in school so he can learn and thrive.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

That's great! Now, aren't you also the one who lives in a great neighborhood? Maybe we should look into moving where you are!

5. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I've never posted about living in a great neighborhood,,,but its not too bad :) The school is def amazing, and its one of the best schools in this area :)